Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  249
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: James Harmes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: James Harmes

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I've seen the club website mention defensive minded a bit. It's good that we've identified that as a need but also not a great sign we have confidence in our existing players to knuckle down in that area.
    Maybe they’re going to weld him to Bailey Smith and make a 2 way runner.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

2. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Mentioned it to an Essendon supporter at work who was disappointed they didn’t get him last year and was pretty positive about it.
    That's all you need to know that it's a bad idea!

4. Likes G-Mo77, hujsh, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So to recap:

- player who sucks
    - horrible tattoos
    - unreal rig
    - seems like a dickhead

I figured out why I hate this so much. This is Justin Sherman all over again.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So to recap:

- player who sucks
    - horrible tattoos
    - unreal rig
    - seems like a dickhead

I figured out why I hate this so much. This is Justin Sherman all over again.
    Haha. I didn't hate him until he arrived and then I realised.

Melbourne have got rid of one of their 2 most punchable faces. Melksham holds that 1st place trophy by a fair margin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Haha. I didn't hate him until he arrived and then I realised.

Melbourne have got rid of one of their 2 most punchable faces. Melksham holds that 1st place trophy by a fair margin.
    and to think Fritsch didn?t make your list.

I don’t mind Harmes based on insurance and some level of need but should fit more in the Territory of as a delisted free agent.

8. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    and to think Fritsch didn?t make your list.

I don’t mind Harmes based on insurance and some level of need but should fit more in the Territory of as a delisted free agent.
    Oh dear. How could I forget him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not thinking he's going to be magnificent for us, but I'd be interested to know how posters think we're supposed to get depth on our list that has proved capable of playing at the highest level without trading for it.

We desperately need players who can put selection pressure on the players we think haven't contributed consistently. Harmes does that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm not thinking he's going to be magnificent for us, but I'd be interested to know how posters think we're supposed to get depth on our list that has proved capable of playing at the highest level without trading for it.

We desperately need players who can put selection pressure on the players we think haven't contributed consistently. Harmes does that.
    For me Jee I'd rather see proven VFL talent get a crack over washed up guys on the retirement plan.

Sullivan for eg would be my preference in this instance. Probably similar skill sets, about the same effectiveness in the VFL (actually Lachie played better when we smashed Casey).

I'm not sure if everyone is seeing the 21 version of Harmes in their minds eye, he's not been that for a while.

I hope he gets it back, however I'm not that confident.

We need depth agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    For me Jee I'd rather see proven VFL talent get a crack over washed up guys on the retirement plan.

Sullivan for eg would be my preference in this instance. Probably similar skill sets, about the same effectiveness in the VFL (actually Lachie played better when we smashed Casey).

I'm not sure if everyone is seeing the 21 version of Harmes in their minds eye, he's not been that for a while.

We need depth agree.
    He's a bigger body and taller, we'll find out if he's able to get form back I guess. Sullivan to me is a great VFL player who I don't want to see lining up on the half forward line for us as we try and squeeze him into a role.

13. Likes Grantysghost, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a bigger body and taller, we'll find out if he's able to get form back I guess. Sullivan to me is a great VFL player who I don't want to see lining up on the half forward line for us as we try and squeeze him into a role.
    But isn't that what we'll do with Harmes? His best football was in the midfield and this year wasn't getting picked in that role with Oliver out, and also wasn't getting picked for the half forward role (because I don't think he's very effective at it) behind Neal-Bullen and Chandler.

Post Thanks / Like

It's true, we do, the main wrinkle here though is he wasn't actually doing a whole lot of this at the club he's coming from and managed fewer games this year than all of McNeil, West & Scott respectively, and was completely ghosted come finals.

This bloke's going to light a fire under our comfortable regulars?

He's a modest upgrade on McComb I suppose.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    But isn't that what we'll do with Harmes? His best football was in the midfield and this year wasn't getting picked in that role with Oliver out, and also wasn't getting picked for the half forward role (because I don't think he's very effective at it) behind Neal-Bullen and Chandler.
    Likely, and on a wing. Roles he's proved capable of playing in a premiership team.

He's admitted he didn't play well this year, and I'm sure there's reasons for that. He should technically be in his prime so we'll see how it goes.

I reckon Melbourne would have been a shit place to be the last couple of years, let's see how he goes.

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need depth agree.
    We tried that with McComb and he is quite dominant at VFL level. Sullivan would probably be similar. At least Harmes has shown ability. Nothing to stop him regaining his ‘21 form. Then bang we have a player who is bottom of our top 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    It's true, we do, the main wrinkle here though is he wasn't actually doing a whole lot of this at the club he's coming from and managed fewer games this year than all of McNeil, West & Scott respectively, and was completely ghosted come finals.

This bloke's going to light a fire under our comfortable regulars?

He's a modest upgrade on McComb I suppose.
    I get it's all the rage to put shit on everything at the moment, but those keeping him out of Melbourne's side are a bit better than those who played for us. Bringing McComb into the conversation doesn't give any cred, we've let him go and Harmes is well better than he is and it's silly to suggest otherwise.

21. Likes Sedat, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't we tried that already?

McComb, Hayes, Gowers, Scott, Poulter and Gardner all came from the VFL system, and aside from the last two solely the VFL system.

"Strong bodied ball winning mid who can play a role forward" describes both Harmes and McComb when we recruited them. Except one has proven he can play at AFL level while the other only had to be named on an extended bench before people started threatening not to go.

We have been "moneyballing" our late picks in the last few years, trying to get low ceiling but sturdy floor types to add depth, except we keep finding out the floor is stuffed. I don't mind the change of mindset to get actual proven AFL role players, even if they are a bit cooked, especially if it means we swing for the fences a bit more with our draft selections and try and find players that could have a point of difference instead of a reliable foot soldier that isn't actually good enough for our best 22.

I do not like Harmes, but I do think when called upon he is going to be serviceable.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right