Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  59
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2023 Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    This could be the beginning of the end. Bontempelli will see out his career elsewhere at this rate. He's not going to want to hang around this dumpster fire.
    Imagine that. I think the club would explode.

Up at Brisbane with Dunks XD

Post Thanks / Like

Eh there's more than a few mumblings about his discontent.

Anyway, I won't bother.
    Hey - bother! I'm slightly concerned atm too. I think Marcus is not going anywhere though.

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Hey - bother! I'm slightly concerned atm too. I think Marcus is not going anywhere though.
    I don't think it's a question of him leaving at all right now. More that I've heard from a few people (can't verify their sources though so could all be bs although one got Leppitsch staying correct) that he's not happy with 'things'. If we can't turn this thing around and start bottoming out in 2-3yrs, would you think he'll want to see out a rebuild? He's an all time champion in the prime of his career and if we miss finals again next year......

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's a question of him leaving at all right now. More that I've heard from a few people (can't verify their sources though so could all be bs although one got Leppitsch staying correct) that he's not happy with 'things'. If we can't turn this thing around and start bottoming out in 2-3yrs, would you think he'll want to see out a rebuild? He's an all time champion in the prime of his career and if we miss finals again next year......
    Yeah he would have to think hard about whether he wants to stay through that. I guess Pendles might be a good one to follow they were pretty low two years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yeah he would have to think hard about whether he wants to stay through that. I guess Pendles might be a good one to follow they were pretty low two years ago.
    Pendles was one i thought about but when you've bottomed out due to mismanagement as opposed to being at the end of your cycle it may be harder to swallow.

All speculation of course but it wouldn't at all surprise me if he was greatly frustrated to be sitting out September 2 years in a row and staring down the barrel of a rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly club has a brave vision led by committee.
    The club has my faith , loyalty and anxieties.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I will update it as it as it progresses:

Done:

3 x Firsts - for - Pick 5 and 2 x Thirds & F3 (kept)
    Harmes for a F3 (ours)
    Coffield and net gain of draft points which cancels out the F4 (FREE)

Draft Points to cover Croft & Lual

Trades In:

Coffield (effectively free)
    Harmes (F3 tied to Dogs)
    Lots of draft points

Trade Out:

Sweet (soon)
    Updated
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Main List:

Coffield for TOB
    Harmes for McLean

Pick 6 kid for Hannan
    Croft for Bruce
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Main List:

Coffield for TOB
    Harmes for McLean

Pick 6 kid for Hannan
    Croft for Bruce
    So given how many picks we have to take for the points, are we expecting to upgrade / re-draft a few players in the ND do you think BT? I suspect that’s why we are holding on Roarke and Crozier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    So given how many picks we have to take for the points, are we expecting to upgrade / re-draft a few players in the ND do you think BT? I suspect that’s why we are holding on Roarke and Crozier.
    I think we need six spots at this point on the main list to use our main six picks:

TOB, Hannan, Sweet, McLean & Bruce (5)

So I think one more goes off the main, either Croz or Bedendo.

But we may only use 3-4 spots on draftees. Say for convo sake it’s four, plus we elevate Scott (5 spots filled). Then there’s one vacancy in which we could re-draft Bedendo or elevate another rookie.

So I think it’s Croz vs Bedendo for the last spot right now
    Then re-draft Bedendo/Croz at the ND vs elevate Roarke or McNeil
    Alternatively, elevate Roarke or McNeil and try to rookie draft Bedendo/Croz

Or cut them all and bring in new players

(Assuming one spot)

15. Thanks josie, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BT.

17. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coffield and Harmes both have the potential to be best 22 and are better than many players on our list last year so that's a tick. Schultz would have been perfect for us, I think he is the big missed opportunity(a little unlucky he chose to leave this year)

McKercher/Watson/Sanders and Croft(Needs to be played in defence from day one!) are all exiting players while filling needs on our list.

Im actually fairly happy with the period, I'm just still a little concerned with the coaching/management situation. I just wish we could have got Leppa from Collingwood, I reckon he would have made a bigger difference than any player traded this period.

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Coffield and Harmes both have the potential to be best 22 and are better than many players on our list last year so that's a tick. Schultz would have been perfect for us, I think he is the big missed opportunity(a little unlucky he chose to leave this year)

McKercher/Watson/Sanders and Croft(Needs to be played in defence from day one!) are all exiting players while filling needs on our list.

Im actually fairly happy with the period, I'm just still a little concerned with the coaching/management situation. I just wish we could have got Leppa from Collingwood, I reckon he would have made a bigger difference than any player traded this period.
    If we end up with 3x best 22 players (Coffield, Harmes and Pick 5) out of the trade period that's good.
    Getting Croft is good.

I'm not sold on the decision making right now but the footy club has showed with their decision making over the past 2x off-seasons that they think we are right in it to win it and has recruited on that basis. Honestly, I admire their steadfast insistence that we are in a position to win-NOW despite everything I watch pointing to the contrary, but in terms of 'on paper' talent, I tend to think they're correct...

For me, I just feel the group is missing 'something' that has zero to do with the players on the park as individuals but everything to do with the way they interact and play together. What's wrong? Stuffed if I know...

In short:
    1/. I understand WHAT the club has done and can see consistency in their list moves over the past 2-seasons.
    2/. I have zero faith that what we have done will impact on our performances + win-loss because I don't really think it is talent (or game plan for that matter) that is causing us to lose games.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B+

Pick 4 gives us a shot at a top line player and also avoids us having to use our R1 pick on Croft
    Harmes - paid peanuts in terms of draft picks and is an upgrade on the guys he will replace or push to the periphery
    Coffield - a free hit on a guy who has upside in terms of age and performance. If he gets his body right will replace aging backline players or release Ed/Dale/JJ further up the field

Its a solid bit of work.

23. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm not sold on the decision making right now but the footy club has showed with their decision making over the past 2x off-seasons that they think we are right in it to win it and has recruited on that basis. Honestly, I admire their steadfast insistence that we are in a position to win-NOW despite everything I watch pointing to the contrary, but in terms of 'on paper' talent, I tend to think they're correct...

For me, I just feel the group is missing 'something' that has zero to do with the players on the park as individuals but everything to do with the way they interact and play together.
    What's wrong? Stuffed if I know...
    Summed it up beautifully - we have too many good players to perform as badly as we did this season. Given we lost games by small margins, the remedy to correct is not a wholesale reconstruction of the game plan, but a tweak in attitude and commitment.