Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  59
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2023 Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We do? How do you know that? If it's the Landsberger article above I think he's just spitballing about us potentially signing a backup ruck. Or has it been reported elsewhere?
    That's just how I read the above article TBH

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's just how I read the above article TBH
    I think it might be the way he's written it but I'm just guessing. Couldn't blame Lycett for just retiring rather than relocating for potentially only 1 year to mostly play VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we just need to wait and see how the draft plays out. If we get Sanders/Watson, Croft slides until the early teens and Lual is bid on after pick 40 then it's a big win.
    Coffield & Harmes aren't sexy pick ups but they improve on the bottom 6 of our 22 big time. Pushing out Vandermeer and McNeil as regulars is an instant improvement. Pushing Scott to the sub role is also a positive as he can fill a lot of roles but doesn't impact enough over an entire game.

5. Likes Sedat, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just seeing all the results. The first round trade is the one I can't get past, I don't expect us to contend so think that will be reasonably high. It's a gamble and hopefully this doesn't destroy us for 2025 and beyond.

Harmes I'm lukewarm on it's an older player on the decline and we've given him 3 years. He can fill some needs if fit so I'm not thinking it's a bad move. He did come cheap, the list spot however could be costly.

Coffield was a virtual freebie. We did well there, I thought we'd get taken for a higher pick. Good get.

Sweet for 50 I think we did well out of. We've wasted years of development but we're not playing him so cannot expect much. Pick 50 was a good return.

Anyway that's my 2 cents if anyone cares.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic, azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, KT31, EasternWest, macca, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it might be the way he's written it but I'm just guessing. Couldn't blame Lycett for just retiring rather than relocating for potentially only 1 year to mostly play VFL.
    I reckon he'd move for a $300K to $400K job.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I reckon he'd move for a $300K to $400K job.
    We would be crazy to pay someone that much to only play if Tim gets injured. Might as well just get Cole Trickle, I mean Brian Treacle, I mean Brynn Teakle on minimum wage.

Post Thanks / Like

We would be crazy to pay someone that much to only play if Tim gets injured. Might as well just get Cole Trickle, I mean Brian Treacle, I mean Brynn Teakle on minimum wage.
    You had at me at Cole Trickle and then lost me.

I’m dropping the hammer!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'm just seeing all the results. The first round trade is the one I can't get past, I don't expect us to contend so think that will be reasonably high. It's a gamble and hopefully this doesn't destroy us for 2025 and beyond.

Harmes I'm lukewarm on it's an older player on the decline and we've given him 3 years. He can fill some needs if fit so I'm not thinking it's a bad move. He did come cheap, the list spot however could be costly.

Coffield was a virtual freebie. We did well there, I thought we'd get taken for a higher pick. Good get.

Sweet for 50 I think we did well out of. We've wasted years of development but we're not playing him so cannot expect much. Pick 50 was a good return.

I care homeboy. Good comments, I like it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post

The future first, I'm probably JD's broken record by now but if you think of it as Croft, then it's not as hard to take.

Future First for Croft
    10 and 17 for pick 4.

Then a shuffle of stuff for points after that.

Croft may well be a top 10 pick.

Harmes : I'm warming. Slightly. From cold to tepid.
    Coffield : Great business love it, gone from warm to very warm on him after the interview today.
    Sweet : Guess I bow to the consensus that 50 is best we could ask for. I don't really get why rucks are so cheap though.

It's a pretty good period for us.

14. Likes Bulldog4life, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lock the thread old mate Damien Barrett has rated it a fail....

IF ...
    key backs have been a problem for a few seasons already ...

THEN ...
    nothing from the 2023 player exchange will lead to change in that space in 2024.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

IF ...

THEN ...
    nothing from the 2023 player exchange will lead to change in that space in 2024.
    He's not wrong.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He's not wrong.
    I guess we do have Buss and and JOD(and i guess Crofty) coming through. Its not like we arent in the process of fixing it.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I guess we do have Buss and and JOD(and i guess Crofty) coming through. Its not like we arent in the process of fixing it.
    But will those guys make a difference in 2024 I suppose is the question.

Croft certainly won't. Buss and JOD are 2nd year players one of which missed a huge chunk of their 1st year with an injury and the other was a speculative rookie pick.

We're certainly trying to address the area in the not too distant future but for next season its still shaky which isn't ideal for a club that's committing itself to a top 4 finish.

We're relying on guys like Buss, JOD and Coffield to stand-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    But will those guys make a difference in 2024 I suppose is the question.

Croft certainly won't. Buss and JOD are 2nd year players one of which missed a huge chunk of their 1st year with an injury and the other was a speculative rookie pick.

We're certainly trying to address the area in the not too distant future but for next season its still shaky which isn't ideal for a club that's committing itself to a top 4 finish.

We're relying on guys like Buss, JOD and Coffield to stand-up.
    Who would you have brought in and what would it have cost us?

The market for KPD is/was dry imo and i don't think it was ever an option for us. Rather get games into Buss and JOD rather than go down the used spud route.
    The curse is dead.

21. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

IF ...

THEN ...
    I'm honestly not that concerned about defence so not sure why he brings that up. JOD, Bus, Darcy all have backline experience. Jones is still a stud and Keath will fill in the gaps. Gardner? Who knows?

It could really go either way. These are not out of the realm of possibility; if Coffield stays injured, if Harmes continues to decline, or worst of all if we flat out suck we have failed this trade period. Lot of ifs but all possibilities. I think we've gambled to hard on next season and have higher expectations of within than I'm comfortable with. The F1 is the breaker in all of it. Where that falls is the issue. We need to be very good in 2024!

23. Likes josie, Bulldog4life liked this post