Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  59
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2023 Trade Period

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Who would you have brought in and what would it have cost us?

The market for KPD is/was dry imo and i don't think it was ever an option for us. Rather get games into Buss and JOD rather than go down the used spud route.
    Oh I'm not saying we COULD have done much to address it this off-season. I think we were too complacent the 2 or 3 years prior that is hurting us now.

Ultimately our backline for 2024 is simply less than ideal for a side targeting a top 4 finish. It's the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Oh I'm not saying we COULD have done much to address it this off-season. I think we were too complacent the 2 or 3 years prior that is hurting us now.

Ultimately our backline for 2024 is simply less than ideal for a side targeting a top 4 finish. It's the way it is.
    I guess we did bring in a long term KPD a few season back but then he turned into a gun forward over night.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

To misquote Frank Zappa,
    Questions, questions, questions flooding into the minds of the concerned Bulldog followers...
    but says Frank, isn't it great to be alive.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the backline has been a problem, but Jones down back will hopefully hold it together. But for an errant kick in danger he could well have won our B&F! Yes he may decline, but I think we will get another solid year out of him.

JOD - yes he is a rookie and a kid, but again if he builds on last year he will be much improved. He is a good player!

Keath - will probably start the season in the backline, but if all goes well wont be there come the end of the season

Gardner - may start the season, but I think will increasingly become a back up

Buzz - who knows. Hopefully the kid will come good. I hope that he replaces Keath bu seasons end.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr.Mongrel Punt liked what we did… even if we did let Street leave…

WESTERN BULLDOGS

IN – JAMES HARMES, NICK COFFIELD

OUT – JORDON SWEET

DRAFT PICKS – 5, 48, 50, 52, 53, 56, 69, 72, 75, 90

GRADE – B-

I like what the Dogs have done here. Harmes brings some much-needed toughness, whilst Coffield was becoming something very good at St Kilda before his ACL injury and the subsequent setbacks.

They’ve still got a high pick they’ll use before a bid comes on Matthew Croft’s boy, Jordan, and that bid will be covered by the plethora of picks they have in reserve.

Nice work by the Dogs, but I do worry about their ruck options if Big Tim falls over after allowing Street to leave.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Thanks hujsh, GVGjr, Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I said we’ve let Street go to early. What’s next? Sydney offering Rawlings a 10 year deal?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Street is so big it's surely just a matter of time before he's the best ruck in the comp

11. Likes EasternWest, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Street is so big it's surely just a matter of time before he's the best ruck in the comp
    I used to work with a VFL ruckman and he said Street was the easiest guy to play on in the VFL. He said despite his height and he was mobile for the VFL, he said all you needed to do was bash into him all day and he just couldn’t compete in the contest despite about 15cm reach and being AFEL fit. He was interesting to talk to about ruck work. But bash and crash can bring a lot of more fancied rucks back to earth if you’ve got the physical strength and hardness to do it all game he maintained. He didn’t need to beat every opponent, but if he could nullify them then that would take away a strength of the oppo and then it was up to the mids.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Thanks hujsh, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Mr.Mongrel Punt liked what we did… even if we did let Street leave…

WESTERN BULLDOGS

IN – JAMES HARMES, NICK COFFIELD

OUT – JORDON SWEET

DRAFT PICKS – 5, 48, 50, 52, 53, 56, 69, 72, 75, 90

GRADE – B-

I like what the Dogs have done here. Harmes brings some much-needed toughness, whilst Coffield was becoming something very good at St Kilda before his ACL injury and the subsequent setbacks.

They’ve still got a high pick they’ll use before a bid comes on Matthew Croft’s boy, Jordan, and that bid will be covered by the plethora of picks they have in reserve.

Nice work by the Dogs, but I do worry about their ruck options if Big Tim falls over after allowing Street to leave.
    Nice of HBM to give us a plug.

However he lost me at giving the Bombres a B. Those guys deserve an A+ and everyone knows that especially Dorodo.

I love how he goes hard on Geelong being a Hawks man that would have felt good for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah one of the best parts of the trade period was the fact that not one player requested to be traded to Geelong. Hopefully the tide is starting to turn...

16. Likes Testekill, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Yeah one of the best parts of the trade period was the fact that not one player requested to be traded to Geelong. Hopefully the tide is starting to turn...
    Doesn't this mean Geelong hadn't targeted anyone this trade period?

I think their strategy is to identify their target 18-months out and approach their manager directly. Lay the cards on the table...then wait. They had a clear strategy with Cameron and even going back to Dangerfield...it is interesting that they have been involved in the only 2 'matched' restricted agent contracts hav e involved the Cats...and in both cases (those two already mentioned) they traded for the player anyway)...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I guess we did bring in a long term KPD a few season back but then he turned into a gun forward over night.
    He's locked in on a contract nobody will touch, so maybe we force him to play back!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I used to work with a VFL ruckman and he said Street was the easiest guy to play on in the VFL. He said despite his height and he was mobile for the VFL, he said all you needed to do was bash into him all day and he just couldn’t compete in the contest despite about 15cm reach and being AFEL fit. He was interesting to talk to about ruck work. But bash and crash can bring a lot of more fancied rucks back to earth if you’ve got the physical strength and hardness to do it all game he maintained. He didn’t need to beat every opponent, but if he could nullify them then that would take away a strength of the oppo and then it was up to the mids.
    How many senior AFL games did this guy get to compete with Peter's 78?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How many senior AFL games did this guy get to compete with Peter's 78?
    He was a VFL ruckman, I think perhaps a former rookie. From memory he rated Skipper very highly on the flip side of tougher opponents.

23. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Doesn't this mean Geelong hadn't targeted anyone this trade period?

I think their strategy is to identify their target 18-months out and approach their manager directly. Lay the cards on the table...then wait. They had a clear strategy with Cameron and even going back to Dangerfield...it is interesting that they have been involved in the only 2 'matched' restricted agent contracts hav e involved the Cats...and in both cases (those two already mentioned) they traded for the player anyway)...
    Its a comment more out of hope MJP, the cats have been the best over the last 30 years and have it over our club. I'm hoping the tide is turning with their list and if it does go south for a few years hopefully sleepy hollow isn't quite the mecca it has been for players on the move.