Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The value of a draft pick

Maybe it's just me but it feels like clubs are maybe re-assesing how they value draft picks and as supporters we've been left behind a bit.

Obviously picks in the top 5 are highly valued but are picks from 10 onwards maybe seen as less and less valuable now compared to known quantities in established AFL players? 23 knocked back for Esava, Hawks want 25 for Kosi, we're giving a future third for Harmes and packaging up a load of firsts to get into the top 5(6).

As supporters do we need to get on mjp's level and stop over rating speculative picks?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The value of a draft pick

Of course worth mentioning bid matching, draft point trading and FA compo (let alone shit club compo) all play a part in this devaluation too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think roles and availability of similar types is part of it too - Cats and Hawks are rating their young talls higher than expected because they feel there aren't a lot of AFL quality talls on the market.

Lachie Schultz isn't a name that demands a first round pick but because he is a) elite in his particular niche role and b) in contract, that's what will be needed.

As fans I think we are focusing too much on draft points, even in trades where it isn't actually relevant.

Post Thanks / Like

The last few years I thought it was trending the other way, where players were being traded for little draft capital.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The last few years I thought it was trending the other way, where players were being traded for little draft capital.
    No, just our players for very little…
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023