Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  213
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best/Starting 23, Round 1 2024

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Am I the only one who's extremely wary of the Darcy hype train?

Maybe I'm still suffering Ayceitis.
    I'm more concerned with his body holding up than any talent issues.
    He hasn't gotten through a season of football in 3 years.
    I'm also not sure Coffield plays round 1 given he can't get his body right either. He'd have to tick every box imaginable.

West in for Clarke

Anthony Scott is the ideal sub too, he can play anywhere so he's the easiest sub option on our list.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm also not sure Coffield plays round 1 given he can't get his body right either. He'd have to tick every box imaginable.
    Pretty sure every Saints pre-season thread on Saints Woof over the past couple of years would have had:

Nick 'If Fit' Coffield as part of their projected 22's in October...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My second version:

B: Dale L. Jones JOD
    HB: Richards Darcy JJ
    C: Williams Treloar Poulter
    HF: Sanders Marra Weightman
    F: Lobb Naughton Clarke
    R: English Bont Libba
    I: Smith Macrae Harmes Daniel
    S: West
    E: Coffield Buss Scott Arty

Rest: Cleary, Garcia, Gardner, Baker, Duryea, Gags, VDM, Khamis, Croft, Bedendo, McNeil, other recruits/rookie.

- Sanders needs to feed our forwards I50, with Weightman to occasionally pinch hit further up the ground
    - Clarke as my bolter
    - Darcy back to CHB
    - Harmes maybe tags from time to time?
    - Ruck duties split into regions on the ground. Darcy D50, Lobb I50 and English as a ruck/river
    - Bonts & Adz to spend more time forward with higher rotations through CBA
    - Still unsure where to play Daniel most effectively. Maybe HHF
    - Would love to see Arty force himself into a starting winger. His speed on the wing would be an asset
    - Would love a small lockdown defender, but don?t have faith Duryea is the man in 5 months time

It still looks a handy enough side, if their shit is together.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What have you seen in Clarke to make him a bolter BT?
    Love it if he was, just haven't seen anything so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    What have you seen in Clarke to make him a bolter BT?
    Love it if he was, just haven't seen anything so far.
    Posted this last page:

Yeah, he’s my bolter for next year. I think his interrupted preseason had him on the back foot. So I’m hoping a full preseason and a year in our system has him understanding what we need. I recall Cody had a fair bit of doubt in him in his season too from some. I thought he warmed into the end of the season well, (it’s a shit metric) but his points ranking went up significantly and he kicked 4 goals in his two finals. What I especially like his he seems a team first player, almost to a fault. If he can find a better option he seems to want to take it and not blaze away every time, even though more goals would’ve helped promotion rather than score involvements or goal assists.

So whether it’s evidence based or wishful thinking, he’s my bolter. If we can get him humming with Cody and potentially Watson there’s going to be some exciting energy under the excitement of the feet of the big boys. The kind of energy and excitement that can hopefully change the feel around the place with young confidence. So I guess we see!

Also, I’d trial Garcia in the small defender role. He should be quick enough and is a good tackler. I’m not sure he’s getting into our midfield especially with Smith to get more time and Sanders here now. So I’d give him a go Matty Boyd style.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weightman did take a while to win us over, so good comparison.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

At a first glance

B: Johannisen L. Jones Coffield
    HB: Richards O'Donnell Dale
    C: Williams Treloar Harmes
    HF: Sanders Lobb Smith
    F: Ugle-Hagan Naughton Weightman
    R: English Bontempelli Liberatore
    I: Macrae Daniel Darcy Vandermeer Scott
    E: West, Poulter, Duryea, Keath
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the list is fully fit, Gardner, Keath, TOB, Vandermeer, McNeil should not be starting best 22 just having those guys out of the side makes our team already look significantly better than last year as harsh as it sounds.

13. Likes DOG GOD, westbulldog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    If the list is fully fit, Gardner, Keath, TOB, Vandermeer, McNeil should not be starting best 22 just having those guys out of the side makes our team already look significantly better than last year as harsh as it sounds.
    I reckon it's pretty safe to say O'Brien won't be getting a game next year.

15. Thanks bulldogtragic, chef, CarnTheScray thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, bulldogsthru&thru, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to so my best 23 round 23 for something a bit different. How I hope we might realistically end the year after some players develop.

C: Williams Sanders Gags
    HF:O'Driscoll Naughton Weightman
    F: Lobb Ugle-Hagan Clarke
    I: Harmes Smith Treloar Daniel
    S: Scott
    E: Macrae Darcy AJ Poulter Duryea

Daniel to be part of the back 7 since I don't have room anywhere else and he will play.

Sanders to be too good to keep out and Macrae on current form being the one forced out. Not ideal but it's up to him to reverse the trend and I wanted to include forwards in the forward line

Gallagher if he stays fit might be a lock for the wing, he looks good and I think could realistically push Poulter out if Poulter doesn't show enough improvement (and I'm not sure he has improved much since his first year TBH). Could also be Jones here depending on how his year goes. Maybe they push out Williams too.

O'Driscoll with his athletic profile could be a big McNeil upgrade. Genuine pace, great endurance and knows where the goals are. Does he have the forward craft required? Maybe he rotates on the wing in the Scott role too. Maybe mjp can correct this if he's not really year 1 ready for AFL but all I really expect is pressure, the occasional run down tackle and a goal every other game.

Clarke with a pre-season gets to show us why we liked him. A genuine small forward without a selfish streak is exactly what the doctor ordered. Him, Aiden, Weightman and Naughton can potentially bring real defensive intent to the forward half with even Marra having the pace to contribute occasionally.

Harmes Smith Treloar. All part of the midfield rotations and the odd stint forward. Might give Weightman and/or Williams some inside mid minutes too to smooth out the rotations.

17. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Hotdog60, soupman, azabob, Dry Rot, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really like BT’s idea of Garcia as small defender. Worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Really like BT’s idea of Garcia as small defender. Worth a try.
    Another I'd consider, McNeil. Worth a shot he's not the answer as a small forward or mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'm going to so my best 23 round 23 for something a bit different. How I hope we might realistically end the year after some players develop.

Daniel to be part of the back 7 since I don't have room anywhere else and he will play.

Sanders to be too good to keep out and Macrae on current form being the one forced out. Not ideal but it's up to him to reverse the trend and I wanted to include forwards in the forward line

Gallagher if he stays fit might be a lock for the wing, he looks good and I think could realistically push Poulter out if Poulter doesn't show enough improvement (and I'm not sure he has improved much since his first year TBH). Could also be Jones here depending on how his year goes. Maybe they push out Williams too.

O'Driscoll with his athletic profile could be a big McNeil upgrade. Genuine pace, great endurance and knows where the goals are. Does he have the forward craft required? Maybe he rotates on the wing in the Scott role too. Maybe mjp can correct this if he's not really year 1 ready for AFL but all I really expect is pressure, the occasional run down tackle and a goal every other game.

Clarke with a pre-season gets to show us why we liked him. A genuine small forward without a selfish streak is exactly what the doctor ordered. Him, Aiden, Weightman and Naughton can potentially bring real defensive intent to the forward half with even Marra having the pace to contribute occasionally.

Harmes Smith Treloar. All part of the midfield rotations and the odd stint forward. Might give Weightman and/or Williams some inside mid minutes too to smooth out the rotations.
    Caveat to this.

If Macrae gets his form back and demands selection how do we fit him in? Maybe it means a forward (Clarke or O'Driscoll) miss and we start him there. After the centre bounce he goes to the midfield and Bont then chooses where he wants to go depending on the situation. He can go forward and push into the middle a bit to be a danger forward of center and a deleverer into the F50. He can run back and be the loose in defence setting up our rebounding plays and probably being a great interceptor/contest killer as well.

Playing a loose defender? Do you still want to if Bontempelli is the guy loose at the other end of the ground?

Post Thanks / Like

Another I'd consider, McNeil. Worth a shot he's not the answer as a small forward or mid.
    Might be his only option if you can't hit the side of a barn from 10 metres out directly in front.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

22. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If O'Driscoll plays more than 5 games in his 1st season I think that would be a huge result so to think he'll be entrenched in the team is a stretch given he's coming from a long way back.