Thanks Thanks:  75
Likes Likes:  213
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best/Starting 23, Round 1 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That's exactly where my mind went. So wtf have we been doing previously? Cynicism switch on, it feels like a nicely stage managed message for the disgruntled fan base.
    You can get a training program wrong, and when external factors like Skinner come into it the difference might be five per cent but it's still a significant difference versus the competition that you can't make up, even if it's just a bit off for you.

I struggle with the concept that each year, every session, every preseason or whatever things go absolutely right. We all work in organisations that are supposed to be professional but **** this stuff up all the time. Why would the AFL/ the Bulldogs be any different?

At least it's clearly on the record on now. In the middle of quarters two, three and four, we didn't have the go to run in order to stop the bleeding and keep us competitive. Everyone wanted to know what we're doing about that, how we are going to challenge the failure. Now it's presented we get the pitch forks out?

Shit goes wrong. Organisations are fallible, as are their people. If we couldn't identify it or admit it was an issue I'd be way more concerned about it, whereas now the club feels it's got a reason why and something to train towards. I'm way more confident of progress than I was a few days ago.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards, Jones, JOD
    Dale, Darcy, JJ
    Williams, Jacko, Smith
    Scott, JUH, Treloar
    Lobb, Naughton, Weightman

English, Bont, Libba

Sanders, Coffield, Daniel, Harmes

Sub: West

I can't say whether this is my aspirational team, preferred team or the best as I see it right now, or how we'll line up irrespective of anything if everyone is fit.

The inclusion of Scott on the half forward line might be a way to solve the problem of accountability in the front half. He's a professional who has improved with each step and demonstrably kicks goals. Another preseason should see him improve again and I at least trust him to do a job if asked.

No surprises I want Treloar as the other half forward and Jacko in the middle. It's ridiculous to imagine the coaching staff persisting with 2023's bullshit of not having Jacko running forward and back, and actually picking the field apart with his hands and feet. Treloar is better on the turn with pace. It just makes sense.

Bailey Smith can want whatever the **** his idiot mullet wants, but he just needs to buckle down and play wing and commit to being the best at it. That means stopping his man first and foremost, and gut running each way, going inside and outside as required. Get the ball when it's there, hold the width deep forward and back to be the main option to get us moving. If the guy actually valued football, he'd relish this as something he could be really good at - imagine being the guy who replaced Lachie Hunter and did it better. Something to hang the hat on.

I could easily swap Keath in for Darcy. I reckon the coaching team will go with the former, but it's aspirational to have Darcy in there.
    Last edited by jeemak; 02-12-2023 at 03:39 PM.

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, soupman, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B: Coffield, Jones, Richards
    HB: Dale, JOD, JJ
    C: Treloar, Smith, Williams
    HF:Sanders , Naughton, Weightman
    F: Lobb, Jamarra, West
    R: English, Bont, Libba
    IC: Darcy, Harmes, Macrae, Poulter
    Sub: Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jDogs View Post
    Quick guess for rd 1

FB: Coffield Jones JJ
    HB: Richards O'Donnell Dale
    C: Williams Bont Macrae
    HF: Harmes Naughton West
    FF: Weightman JUH Lobb
    R: English Smith Liberatore
    I: Treloar Sanders VDM Daniel

Probably missing an obvious one somewhere.
    My hope is Darcy squeezing into the team somehow. Guessing they'll pick VDM for his speedy little legs.
    Looks a solid team, I'd have Darcy in the line-up and him on the bench ahead of Vandermeer. Not sure about Macrae on a wing.
    The unlucky players missing from your line-up would be Poulter and Scott but I struggle to find a spot from them as well.
    You've got Daniel on the bench, do you this he will play more forward or in the midfield next season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Richards, Jones, JOD
    Dale, Darcy, JJ
    Williams, Jacko, Smith
    Scott, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

Sanders, West, Daniel, Harmes

I can't say whether this is my aspirational team, preferred team or the best as I see it right now, or how we'll line up irrespective of anything if everyone is fit.

The inclusion of Scott on the half forward line might be a way to solve the problem of accountability in the front half. He's a professional who has improved with each step and demonstrably kicks goals. Another preseason should see him improve again and I at least trust him to do a job if asked.
    Really like the logic with this summary and some interesting positional moves. Tend to think Smith should be used off a wing but I'm not as sure about Treloar starting on forward flank although he will spend time there.
    I also like the bold and brave decision to have Scott in the side and in the starting 18. Good effort Jee.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards, Jones, JOD
    Dale, Darcy, JJ
    Williams, Jacko, Smith
    Scott, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

No surprises I want Treloar as the other half forward and Jacko in the middle. It's ridiculous to imagine the coaching staff persisting with 2023's bullshit of not having Jacko running forward and back, and actually picking the field apart with his hands and feet. Treloar is better on the turn with pace. It just makes sense.

Bailey Smith can want whatever the **** his idiot mullet wants, but he just needs to buckle down and play wing and commit to being the best at it. That means stopping his man first and foremost, and gut running each way, going inside and outside as required. Get the ball when it's there, hold the width deep forward and back to be the main option to get us moving. If the guy actually valued football, he'd relish this as something he could be really good at - imagine being the guy who replaced Lachie Hunter and did it better. Something to hang the hat on.

I could easily swap Keath in for Darcy. I reckon the coaching team will go with the former, but it's aspirational to have Darcy in there.
    Nice effort.

I'm concerned we are too tall in defence and feel we are a better team when we play just the 2 talls and then 'roll the dice' by playing a medium sized player on a tall and get the benefit of more run... we were extremely poor at transitioning the ball from defence this season which wasn't helped by having poor users like Keath, Bruce and Gardner with the ball at critical times.

Re: the comments on Macrae. At some point he needs to be held accountable for his poor season. It's all good and well to say he was played out of position, but he was moved to HF because he ****ing sucked as a midfielder and his transitional running was horrible. He needs to drop 5kg and get back to being able to run.

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards, Jones, JOD
    Dale, Darcy, JJ
    Williams, Jacko, Smith
    Scott, JUH, Treloar

English, Bont, Libba

and your sub
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post
    B: Coffield, Jones, Richards
    HB: Dale, JOD, JJ
    C: Treloar, Smith, Williams
    HF:Sanders , Naughton, Weightman
    F: Lobb, Jamarra, West
    R: English, Bont, Libba
    IC: Darcy, Harmes, Macrae, Poulter
    Do room for Daniel?

Post Thanks / Like

Front half balance is concerning this year.

I reckon we might be short 1 small forward. Clarke, Arty and VDM are going to be very important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Front half balance is concerning this year.

I reckon we might be short 1 small forward. Clarke, Arty and VDM are going to be very important.
    I’d like to think O’Driscoll could add value later in the season, he has serious pace and could be that other small forward we are looking for. M
    I completely agree that we lacked quality players at the feet of our talls last year. Too often the ball would come in to a big pack, hit the ground, and the opposition swoop and quickly get it going the other way. We need to really improve our ability to lock the ball in, we can’t rely on our talls to mark it every time.

15. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickit2Koly View Post
    Do room for Daniel?
    dont know how I missed him. Poulter to sub and Daniel in.

17. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Nice effort.

I'm concerned we are too tall in defence and feel we are a better team when we play just the 2 talls and then 'roll the dice' by playing a medium sized player on a tall and get the benefit of more run... we were extremely poor at transitioning the ball from defence this season which wasn't helped by having poor users like Keath, Bruce and Gardner with the ball at critical times.

Re: the comments on Macrae. At some point he needs to be held accountable for his poor season. It's all good and well to say he was played out of position, but he was moved to HF because he ****ing sucked as a midfielder and his transitional running was horrible. He needs to drop 5kg and get back to being able to run.
    Thanks. I agree with you re our defence, and in lieu of not having put a sub in I've rejigged the lineup and now have Coffield on the bench and West as the sub, which probably hasn't helped! I feel the MC will roll the dice on the three talls to start the season, and hope with JJ, Dale and Richards, with Daniel rolling back to help out we have enough zip and creativity to get the ball moving.

You're not wrong on Macrae, he is definitely in my mind when Beveridge talks about the fourth phase and needing to do more to be a trustworthy teammate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and your sub
    Good pick-up!

I've rebalanced with Coffield on the bench and West as the sub. There's a number of players who are in contention for different roles, and if we can keep everyone fit I reckon the depth will seem to have improved.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards Jones Coffield
    Dale JOD JJ
    Smith Treloar Williams
    Sanders Naughts West
    Weightman JUH Lobb
    English Bont Libba
    McRea Daniel Harmes Darcy
    Sub Scott

2 Talls + Coffield back is a better balance and gives more drive from the back half. Hopefully Buss pushes in by mid year with Gards and Dureya back up and Keath break glass option.

Bont, Libba, Treloar were our best 3 mids last year and should be our starting midfield. Smith, Harmes and McRea rolling through.

Light on for small forwards who are ready but unless Arty, Clarke or O'Driscoll surprise over pre season, West and Sanders are the better options.

Poulter, Baker, Scott, Khamis and Bramble probably all play when injuries come. VDM, McNeil and Garcia to me seem along way from the 23 at this stage.

21. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards, Jones, Daniel
    Dale, Darcy, JJ
    Williams, Treloar, Smith
    Lobb, JUH, West
    A Jones, Naughton, Weightman

English, Bont, Libba

VDM, Scott, JOD, Harmes

Sub: MaCrae

Lobb to push up to the wings all day.
    I like the West, Weightman and Jones mix in the forward line.
    I like the speed of Richards, JJ, Dale, Baz, Treloar, Jones, Weightman the. Rotating speed form the bench. VDM and Jones critical for multi position rotations
    I think we need the old heads Jones, Daniel and JJ down back with the youth of Darcy and JOD off the bench

MaCrae is the odd one out. He has been huge but lost pace and others are in front of him now for the future. But ire on he would be a great sub if he doesn’t crack the $@?# shot can’t buy experience and as a seasoned professional he still has a lot to offer the club
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.