Re: Melbourne Watch 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Jake?
    Yes...

Shit!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    GG's vision of himself on speed is someone who is a danger to children. I'm glad he didn't chase that rabbit.
    It was a nod to Antoine Dodson. Hide yo kids hide yo wife.

Somehow that's over ten years old.

Post Thanks / Like

What defines "in" and "out of" competition?

Also find it amusing that the high performance team can dictate how much of everything a player has but may never find out about extended drug use by a player

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    What defines "in" and "out of" competition?

Also find it amusing that the high performance team can dictate how much of everything a player has but may never find out about extended drug use by a player
    In means while they are playing. SIA won't test before, like a day or whatever before.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In means while they are playing. SIA won't test before, like a day or whatever before.
    Cheers, assumed that was the case. So basically the AFL test out of competition to ensure the players arent caught with drugs in competition. Surely someone in the media has some balls to go hard at the AFL with it

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, assumed that was the case. So basically the AFL test out of competition to ensure the players arent caught with drugs in competition. Surely someone in the media has some balls to go hard at the AFL with it
    AFL is the only sport that does this
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL is the only sport that does this
    I can't believe brand management might bring them down again!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't see the problem with this. They're protecting the players? Giving them opportunities for education and improvement without a two year ban, media circus and eliminating the risk of any team gaining a perceived advantage.

I may be completely off base but I think you can only be charged if you are found in possession of the substance? Once the player self reports... The doctor can't change that fact. They can't rewind and stop them taking it. So the best practice at that point is to protect, educate and prevent.

9. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I still don't see the problem with this. They're protecting the players? Giving them opportunities for education and improvement without a two year ban, media circus and eliminating the risk of any team gaining a perceived advantage.

I may be completely off base but I think you can only be charged if you are found in possession of the substance? Once the player self reports... The doctor can't change that fact. They can't rewind and stop them taking it. So the best practice at that point is to protect, educate and prevent.

I don?t actually disagree with any of that.

The issue I have is that the players are smart and they know how the system works. If they are that way inclined they know there is basically zero risk. Just self report. Find the loophole. Rinse and repeat.

The system in place is basically supporting their indulgences.

?Don?t worry, have a line. You can?t get in trouble, we have a system and confidentially. I have done it before. Let?s party!?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy the coaches and other staff don't know what's going on, especially if sections of media say they do.

Smashing drugs and then self-reporting repeatedly would be a career limiting move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't buy the coaches and other staff don't know what's going on, especially if sections of media say they do.

Smashing drugs and then self-reporting repeatedly would be a career limiting move.
    Patient doctor confidentiality. Don?t doctors take that stuff seriously?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Doctors probably do, but I'd reckon players probably don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think a coach is really not going to have insight into why his players are unavailable though?

I think even if they're not told explicitly, a good coach would know which members of the playing group were having these sort of issues. e.g. Goodwin definitely knew about Oliver's alleged challenges, Bevo would have known about Hunter's alleged challenges.

Post Thanks / Like

I don?t actually disagree with any of that.

The issue I have is that the players are smart and they know how the system works. If they are that way inclined they know there is basically zero risk. Just self report. Find the loophole. Rinse and repeat.

The system in place is basically supporting their indulgences.

?Don?t worry, have a line. You can?t get in trouble, we have a system and confidentially. I have done it before. Let?s party!?
    um...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Do you think a coach is really not going to have insight into why his players are unavailable though?

I think even if they're not told explicitly, a good coach would know which members of the playing group were having these sort of issues. e.g. Goodwin definitely knew about Oliver's alleged challenges, Bevo would have known about Hunter's alleged challenges.
    So going on what’s happened why did Bailey Smith get so many weeks when he wasn’t even in season, didn’t play a game while on it ?
    Bring back the biff