Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  285
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne Watch 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Do you think a coach is really not going to have insight into why his players are unavailable though?

I think even if they're not told explicitly, a good coach would know which members of the playing group were having these sort of issues. e.g. Goodwin definitely knew about Oliver's alleged challenges, Bevo would have known about Hunter's alleged challenges.
    I thought so too, Nathan Buckley spoke to this and he said he had no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think a coach is really not going to have insight into why his players are unavailable though?

I think even if they're not told explicitly, a good coach would know which members of the playing group were having these sort of issues. e.g. Goodwin definitely knew about Oliver's alleged challenges, Bevo would have known about Hunter's alleged challenges.
    Agree. Yes. Those whose lives spiral out of control.

What about the causal user. Who knows they can get away with it and there is a system that protects them.

The AFL stopped reporting the numbers of tests and positive reuslts. Why? They are a propaganda machine. If the numbers were good they would be transparent. That they now don?t publish speaks volumes.

The ?system? isn?t working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    So going on what’s happened why did Bailey Smith get so many weeks when he wasn’t even in season, didn’t play a game while on it ?
    Because he was filmed with it, and the video was widely circulated. That is effectively a 'bringing the game into disrepute' suspension. The AFL have been consistent with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Because he was filmed with it, and the video was widely circulated. That is effectively a 'bringing the game into disrepute' suspension. The AFL have been consistent with that.
    It’s a conundrum isn’t it , so if you sneakily do it, it’s ok.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    It’s a conundrum isn’t it , so if you sneakily do it, it’s ok.
    Yes. The Doctors and the AFL will go out of their way to protect you. But if the public find out, all bets are off. You will be punished.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't see the problem with this. They're protecting the players? Giving them opportunities for education and improvement without a two year ban, media circus and eliminating the risk of any team gaining a perceived advantage.

I may be completely off base but I think you can only be charged if you are found in possession of the substance? Once the player self reports... The doctor can't change that fact. They can't rewind and stop them taking it. So the best practice at that point is to protect, educate and prevent.
    I think if it were working this way we would hear about the success stories. It's just a black hole of sweep shit under the carpet and hope for the best

Post Thanks / Like

So it is quite probable cocaine not MFC beat us in 2021 as evidenced by their doctor who said a third of them were regular users of illicit substances.

Post Thanks / Like

Good article in Age how the whole affair came to light.

read here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    So it is quite probable cocaine not MFC beat us in 2021 as evidenced by their doctor who said a third of them were regular users of illicit substances.
    I'd hope all players are tested in the gf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Cocaine's sick, lay off it.

Max Gawn said there's no drug problem or culture at Melbourne because they don't get positive hair test results. Everything's OK.
    Jee shouldn't that be "because Gawn doesn't get any test hair results".

Post Thanks / Like

All the drugs shenanigans look like galvanising the Demons this year - they've got a real "us against the world" mentality a-la the John Northey years.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    All the drugs shenanigans look like galvanising the Demons this year - they've got a real "us against the world" mentality a-la the John Northey years.
    Looking very good at this stage and frighteningly they have improved their ball
    movement significantly. Teams struggling to lay a glove on them once they get on the outside.

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's week four in a 24 week season.

This team has made top four the past couple of years and gone out in straight sets, I'll keep my bag full for a while yet before I start blowing it all over them.*

*Keep it nice, I mean cash.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Has anyone ever got 3 strikes?
    Travis Tuck
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm reluctantly okay with a player self reporting and being given a week off by the club Doctor but only once within a season and not more than twice within a career.
    It also shouldn't be allowed to occur more than once without the coach knowing about it and he can make a decision if the player is worth maintaining on the list.
    If you drive a car impaired you can lose your license for a period of time and we all accept that.
    The same logic should apply to footballers and drug use and the rules also need to apply to the games best players with no exceptions.
    If you test positive to certain substances you will lose your licence. For some reason they don't test for heroin (which is probably the worst substance to be operating a vehicle on) and ironically for the purposes of this discussion they don't test for cocaine.

I've never been able to get an answer as to why those two particular drugs aren't tested for.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.