Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  285
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne Watch 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I mean, why bother at this point? Just say you don't test for recreational drugs anymore and only care if a player has substances in their system gameday that could be performance enhancing or a masking agent. I don't get tested for coke at my workplace, should Hugh McCluggage be any different (outside of gameday)?
    Agreed.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, why bother at this point? Just say you don't test for recreational drugs anymore and only care if a player has substances in their system gameday that could be performance enhancing or a masking agent. I don't get tested for coke at my workplace, should Hugh McCluggage be any different (outside of gameday)?
    I do, well i am able to tested, but i'd say coke would make me more productive.
    Same playing footy.

That's a good response from the AFL. They might have killed it dead.

They did the, oh yeah we do that and it's part of our process. So, too bad so sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I do, well i am able to tested, but i'd say coke would make me more productive.
    Same playing footy.

That's a good response from the AFL. They might have killed it dead.

They did the, oh yeah we do that and it's part of our process. So, too bad so sad.
    I don't know what your job is but there are jobs where drug testing may be necessary (truck driver for example, even though by my understanding they'd break the tests), I'm not sure AFL footballer at training during the week is one of those jobs though.

The AFL response might take some steam out of the outrage but if you think about it for a couple of seconds doesn't it seem a completely ridiculous 'process'? Like you guys are the ones who put the illicit drug policy in place, why are you also doing these convoluted steps to circumvent it? Just change the policy.

4. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's ridiculous to strip Melbourne of their 2021 premiership when they only extracted approximately 38 minutes of artificial benefit from their illicit drug use on the day, so I'd be happy enough to stop the clock and declare the premiership final score at 9.5.59 to 5.10.40. Bont as the clear BOG at that time also gets the Norm.

Also looking forward to seeing Shaq, Roarke and Hannan get a retrospective ticker tape parade down Barkly St in due course as the obvious premiership heroes that they are.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes Grantysghost, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of jobs that require regular drug testing. It is common across distrubtion centre and manufacutring environments for instance. You need to be zero acohol and also not have any other illicit substances in your stystem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    There are lots of jobs that require regular drug testing. It is common across distrubtion centre and manufacutring environments for instance. You need to be zero acohol and also not have any other illicit substances in your stystem.
    Yes, jobs where you can be a danger to others or yourself is one thing. An AFL player outside of gameday? For all their money and fame, they're just dudes.

Post Thanks / Like

The conflation of sports integrity with being a role model. They're just dudes, sure, but the industry and society doesn't view them that way.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The conflation of sports integrity with being a role model. They're just dudes, sure, but the industry and society doesn't view them that way.
    You can still expect and enforce discretion. That's basically the model we have now. You won't get pinged for doing drugs but if it's filmed and passed around? That's when you get some punishment.

Post Thanks / Like

You can still expect and enforce discretion. That's basically the model we have now. You won't get pinged for doing drugs but if it's filmed and passed around? That's when you get some punishment.
    It's a little inconsistent - someone films you over a toilet cubicle or in the privacy of your own home out of season and you can cop 2 weeks. Test positive on a non-game day in season - no issue.

Post Thanks / Like

The policy is clearly one of cover up, rather than welfare. It appears its primary aim is to avoid players testing positive on game day. Sure, it avoids any unfair advantage, but what does it do for player health?
    This is not a good look and the AFL should slap themselves with a Bringing the Game into Disrepute ban and fine.
    Arguing medical confidentiality is rubbish. I bet there were high fives all round when someone thought that loop hole up.

13. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    The policy is clearly one of cover up, rather than welfare. It appears its primary aim is to avoid players testing positive on game day. Sure, it avoids any unfair advantage, but what does it do for player health?
    This is not a good look and the AFL should slap themselves with a Bringing the Game into Disrepute ban and fine.
    Arguing medical confidentiality is rubbish. I bet there were high fives all round when someone thought that loop hole up.
    Yes to all that.

Makes me wonder, what else are they bullshiting about?

15. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    That’s me , I’m in the distribution environment and it’s done by a private company , they come in and pull names out of a hat and the minute you clock in they call you in. Alcohol and drug tested, if found in your system your sent home and then asked to do another test to double check, you are either sacked or can come back to work if result is negative , you could be off work 2 weeks while waiting but you do get paid.
    I think this should be in all workplaces and can’t believe our politicians aren’t done as they make important decisions for all of us.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

ALPA statement

The AFL Players? Association has released the following statement regarding the Illicit Drugs Policy:

We note the article in today?s Herald Sun and the AFL?s statement issued earlier today.

The AFL Players? Association supports the AFL?s position on this issue and reiterates that the Illicit Drugs Policy (IDP) is entered into voluntarily by the players on the basis it is a medical model and is focused on identifying, educating, and rehabilitating.

What is often misunderstood on this topic is that the IDP is separate from the AFL Anti-Doping Code, which is overseen by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and focuses on identifying and sanctioning any athletes who may be taking performance enhancing substances.

These are two different policies with completely different objectives.

The AFLPA remains committed to reviewing the IDP in 2024 with the AFL and we are working with experts to ensure it remains best practice.
    I have a solution - don't take drugs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Players : wow we can take illegal drugs that support murderers and dealers and the afl will cover it up for us?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what your job is but there are jobs where drug testing may be necessary (truck driver for example, even though by my understanding they'd break the tests), I'm not sure AFL footballer at training during the week is one of those jobs though.

The AFL response might take some steam out of the outrage but if you think about it for a couple of seconds doesn't it seem a completely ridiculous 'process'? Like you guys are the ones who put the illicit drug policy in place, why are you also doing these convoluted steps to circumvent it? Just change the policy.
    It's due to my negative vetting, we have to be, you know, trust worthy.