Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  285
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne Watch 2023

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I have always been confused when players go in limping for a jab during a game because they twisted an ankle or something , then they come back out like a super fit athlete.
    If that jab didn’t enhance their performance what did ?
    The argument is that a painkiller jab only gets you to the existing level you are already capable of. PEDs take you to a higher level than you otherwise cannot reach without them.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The argument is that a painkiller jab only gets you to the existing level you are already capable of. PEDs take you to a higher level than you otherwise cannot reach without them.
    I'm with ledge. It's horseshit.

We pick and choose historical levels of performance.

Say an athlete is ageing, he has peds to get him to the place he was a year ago; to me that's the same as if you're injured in game and have a jab to get you where you were an hour ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Let's just say for arguments sake his level was so low there was no likelihood that he recevied any performance enhancing effect. Should he receive the same punishment as someone who was fully juiced up on steroids or was undergoing some sort of sophisticated Lance Armstrong type program?
    There should be as close to zero tolerance as there can be for all infringements and even if what Smith took is at the low end it was done in season so there has to earn him a decent whack. At a guess at least 4 to 6 weeks in the playing season even for a minor infringement scaling up to 12 weeks and beyond for more serious levels.
    Accepting even minor levels shouldn't be a consideration for leniency.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I have always been confused when players go in limping for a jab during a game because they twisted an ankle or something , then they come back out like a super fit athlete.
    If that jab didn?t enhance their performance what did ?
    I'm not sure why it's confusing.
    I've also never seen a player come back on the ground to the extent you have used in your observation and the key difference is the pain killers are administered by an AFL certified medical professional who will be held accountable if it's done incorrectly.
    At best the player is now capable of getting through the balance of the game but I think it's delusional if you think they miraculously become a super athlete. They often still look compromised but are more functional. The player will also likely pay a price straight after the game in terms of pain management and the pain killers are a temporary measure not for the longer terms as PED are.

Post Thanks / Like

From Kane Cornes on SEN

Kane Cornes doesn’t feel much sympathy for Melbourne utility Joel Smith after The Herald Sun reported on Wednesday that the 27-year-old is facing a ban of two or more years for testing positive for cocaine.

Smith tested positive for cocaine in his system on a game day - which is considered performance-enhancing. The positive test occurred after Melbourne defeated Hawthorn by 27 points in Round 23 of last season.

The swingman reportedly received communication from Sports Integrity Australia on Tuesday which is believed to have found him guilty of taking a performance-enhancing drug.

It’s believed that Smith recently fronted a Sports Integrity Australia panel to try and argue that his use of the drug wasn’t performance-enhancing. After that was knocked back, Cornes says the belief is that the Demon will appeal the lengthy ban.

“There was some hope I think from the Melbourne and Smith camp that for non-performance-enhancing drugs, if you can prove that it was taken not for those reasons, that you can get away with a three-month sanction - which would have expired today,” Cornes said on SEN Breakfast.

“But Smith is said to have had correspondence from Sports Integrity Australia who have said, ‘You’re facing two years’.

“It will be up to him to appeal, and the belief is that he will appeal.”

Following Smith’s positive test coming to light in October, Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin told SEN that he was “incredibly angry and frustrated” upon hearing of the news with the issue one of many the Demons faced in the off-season.

Cornes originally criticised Smith for using the drug in the lead-up to an important game ahead of a finals run, particularly as he labelled Smith a “fringe-ish type player”, and he still doesn’t have a lot of sympathy for the 27-year-old’s situation.

“I can understand that anger (shown by Goodwin) … I think it's alarming really that a player could (test positive on game day),” Cornes said.

“With the timeline, I'm not an expert on how long these drugs sit in your system. But a quick Google search will tell you a couple of days.

“The timeline doesn't add up, that you could sit there on a (in the week) before a game on a Sunday and be doing this.

“Look, I'm hardline on these things. I don't have a lot of sympathy for Joel Smith.”

While Smith will likely appeal his ban, Cornes isn’t expecting him to be available for Melbourne in the immediate future as he’ll now have to wait for the process to play out.

“The thing about this and Sports Integrity Australia and anything in relation to a drug violation, it takes time,” Cornes said.

“He may appeal and he would, otherwise his career is gone. He's about to turn 28 facing two years.

“But he'll be stood down until the appeal is heard and who knows how long that would take? These things take forever.”

Smith is facing a maximum four-year ban as a result of the positive test.

Post Thanks / Like

From SEN

Melbourne star Clayton Oliver hasn’t returned alongside his teammates for the first day of pre-season following the holiday period.

The Demons hit the track on Thursday morning at Casey Fields but the club has confirmed Oliver was absent as he continues to focus on his personal challenges.

Oliver endured a tough off-season which saw him linked to a move in the trade period which followed an ultimatum put to him by the club about his behaviour among other issues.

The midfielder also left the club’s training camp in Lorne and was charged with driving on a suspended license in December.

Melbourne’s GM of AFL Performance Alan Richardson says the club is supporting Oliver as he continues to work through his challenges.

“Clayton has personal issues that he has been dealing with. Clayton has been working extremely closely with his personal medical team, and with the support of key Club staff, in order to manage these challenges,” Richardson said via a statement.

“The Club fully supports Clayton taking this important time out which will allow him to focus on these challenges.

“Our primary focus is Clayton’s overall wellbeing, and we will continue to support him through this period.

“It’s important for Clayton that we respect his privacy and his need for time and space.”

The 2021 premiership player has featured 161 times for the Demons and is a four-time club best and fairest winner.

Melbourne begins their 2024 campaign with an Opening Round clash against Sydney on Thursday, March 7 at the SCG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure why it's confusing.
    I've also never seen a player come back on the ground to the extent you have used in your observation and the key difference is the pain killers are administered by an AFL certified medical professional who will be held accountable if it's done incorrectly.
    At best the player is now capable of getting through the balance of the game but I think it's delusional if you think they miraculously become a super athlete. They often still look compromised but are more functional. The player will also likely pay a price straight after the game in terms of pain management and the pain killers are a temporary measure not for the longer terms as PED are.
    Without intervention though they can't play to the standard the drugs allow. It's not confusing at all for mine.
    I'd ban any type of drug that allows someone to achieve a level they wouldn't be able to without it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Let's just say for arguments sake his level was so low there was no likelihood that he recevied any performance enhancing effect. Should he receive the same punishment as someone who was fully juiced up on steroids or was undergoing some sort of sophisticated Lance Armstrong type program?

Not everything is black and white, should you receive the same punishment for 10kms over the speed limit as 100kms over the limit? Or 0.05 BAC vs 0.4?

If the facts are he recevied an advantage then by all means throw the book at him, if not there should be some common sense in the punishment.
    My understanding is the levels for a positive are set to catch the performance enhancing level.
    If it was truly insignificant it wouldn't be a positive test.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Melbourne begins their 2024 campaign with an Opening Round clash against Sydney on Thursday, March 7 at the SCG.
    Demons are a rabble.

Swans will belt them Round 1. Grundy can't wait.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Clayton Oliver's fall is startling, and pretty sad. 6 months ago (or just before his injury, whenever that was), he was being talked up as on track to be the greatest Demon of modern history. 4 B&Fs, a premiership, and hopefully more of each to come...

Obviously none of us know the exact details of his current issues, but I wish him good luck in getting his life back on track (whether that ends up being on field or not).

12. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Clayton Oliver's fall is startling, and pretty sad. 6 months ago (or just before his injury, whenever that was), he was being talked up as on track to be the greatest Demon of modern history. 4 B&Fs, a premiership, and hopefully more of each to come...

Obviously none of us know the exact details of his current issues, but I wish him good luck in getting his life back on track (whether that ends up being on field or not).
    Sounds like he's going through a horrific challenge at the moment and he needs to start stringing some good days together.

Post Thanks / Like

Prediction:
    Won't make the 8
    Goodwin moved on
    Mass exodus of players end of year
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

15. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    the thing is its in season. cocaine is a performance enhancing drug. this isn't a societal thing, its cheating.

He can argue as much as he likes that it was at a party etc or whatever, but during the season, players taking it are performance enhanced.

Its no different to during the season if he tested positive for EPO or HGH.
    That of course assumes that not everyone is taking it.

Lets not forget that its also illegal, a class A drug.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

He obviously has some major issues in his life and needs help. Hopefully for his sake he sorts things out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This is getting serious now

AFL 2024: Melbourne footballer Joel Smith accused of cocaine trafficking

The failed drugs test probe into Melbourne’s Joel Smith has taken a dramatic turn, with anti-doping investigators accusing the Demon of cocaine trafficking.

Anti-doping investigators have accused Melbourne footballer Joel Smith of cocaine trafficking in a dramatic escalation of his failed drugs test probe.

Sport Integrity Australia officials have uncovered multiple text messages sent by Smith referencing cocaine, after reviewing his phone.

In one message sent to Demons teammates last year, he offered them a quantity of the drug, it is alleged.

This masthead has not confirmed how many Melbourne players the SMS was sent to, or the amount of cocaine offered.

Any attempt to supply a prohibited substance, even in small quantities, can be considered trafficking under national anti-doping regulations.

SIA has asserted to Smith that he has violated several anti-doping rules and asked him to respond by mid-March, before it delivers a finding.

The AFL is understood to be awaiting the outcome of the SIA probe before deciding whether to launch its own integrity unit investigation.

Allegations and evidence could also be referred to police.

Smith, 27, was already facing a suspension of two years after testing positive to cocaine on game day late last season.

He was initially hoping for a ban of three months after his positive urine sample was collected after the Demons defeated Hawthorn by 27 points at the MCG in round 23.

But the ramifications for Smith could now be much more serious, with a potential four-year ban mooted, while Melbourne also faces questions.

The AFL has been approached for comment, but had not responded by the time of publication. Smith’s management and legal teams declined to comment.

A SIA spokesman said the agency did not comment on “operational matters”.

One source close to the probe said Smith should not be “scapegoated” over what they asserted was a wider club issue.

“It looks like they are planning to hang Joel out to dry for behaviour that is commonplace at Melbourne,” the source said.

“It is not unusual for a group of young men who party together to share drugs. Joel might be foolish but he’s hardly Tony Mokbel.

“The club should be taking responsibility for what is happening to Joel instead of blaming him in order to cover up a much wider problem. Joel is not a bad apple in a barrel of clean ones – the whole joint is rotten.”

More if you click the link above and are a member of Code Sports

19. Thanks angelopetraglia, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, MrMahatma liked this post