Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Time travelling Bulldogs players

How would some of our current players perform in a bygone era such as say the 1970s, 1980s or1990s with their different rules, fewer umpires, far fewer cameras, the old home grounds and crowds, different style of play and a lot more violence?

How would English go against the hardest and nastiest ruckmen of these eras playing under their rules? Likewise, how would Naughton go against their nastiest fullbacks? How would the Bont go back then, and given his height would he even be playing in the midfield? Would Libba just fit right in? etc

And likewise, how would some of our hardman players from the past find playing in the current environment, with multiple umpires and cameras, no tolerance of violence, different rules, etc? How would players like Kennedy, Foster, Southern, Kretyuik, and the so called nasty Wog Squad midfield, etc find playing in season 2023?

Pick your players from the present and the past and send them forwards and backward in time and see how they would go.
    Last edited by Dry Rot; 04-11-2023 at 10:22 PM.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time travelling Bulldogs players

Rick Kennedy would last about 2 seasons until he hit the mandatory deregistration limit for 20 games suspended.
    Bont would be a superstar in any era
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

English would be equivalent of Paul Salmon at full forward
    Jamarra - Royce Hart at CHF
    Naughton - Peter Knights at CHB

Libby would be the same superstar in any era.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No surprises from me with the first nomination because an at his best Bernie Quinlan would be a sensational player in today's football.
    If it was at CHB and especially playing at Marvel he might even change the game with his long and accurate kicks. As a FF or CHF he would kick a lot of goals especially under the roof of Marvel. Athletically he wouldn't be out of place.

I'd like to see how Peter Street would perform for the Dogs now. With the likes of English, Lobb and Darcy already at the club Street wouldn't be seen as freaky tallest player in the competition. We would have a line-up with that size that the Australian Boomers were never able to squeeze into one side.

I'd love to see how Scott West at his best would go in today's football? His level of pace could be a concern but I'm sure he would find away.

One last one, how would Caleb Daniel go in the 70's or 80's? Some of the rough nuts in those days would have found a way of getting some bone crunching bumps and tackles on him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to think of difference makers who, if available to one of our other era's in a failed finals campaign might've made a difference.
    I would like to have say Bont, Naughton and Libba into any one of our prelim final losses from 85 on. Similarly I'd add Dale Morris to that trio and I reckon every single on of those results would've come out in our favour!

8. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Trying to think of difference makers who, if available to one of our other era's in a failed finals campaign might've made a difference.
    I would like to have say Bont, Naughton and Libba into any one of our prelim final losses from 85 on. Similarly I'd add Dale Morris to that trio and I reckon every single on of those results would've come out in our favour!
    Dale Morris would have been a good footballer in any era but probably appreciated more back in the 80s.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

Post Thanks / Like

Veszpremi might have made it if he was able to time travel back to the start of pre season a few times.

11. Likes EasternWest, josie, jeemak, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Veszpremi might have made it if he was able to time travel back to the start of pre season a few times.
    If he could have game back to the 1979s Veszpremi would have been a star. With his skill level he would have been the classic fat bastard in the forward line who kicked goals for fun.

As for the original question asked by Dry Rot Doug Hawkins on the wing would have been a dominant force these days with his marking ability, his pinpoint disposal, his ability to win one on one contests and his evasive skills. You could drop Doug into a team of any eracabd he would have been a star but especially so these days.

Les Bamblett would kick six goals a game crumbling at the feet of Naughton, Marra and Lobbe.

Brian Cordy with his pace, evasiveness and intercept marking would fit right onto a half back flank these days.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1930s?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He actually still may come good jazza.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 06-11-2023 at 09:03 AM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet would have been good in the 1980s
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He actually still my come good jazza.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    A non-believer. Vez will eventually show everyone, he's only 34 and apparently training the house down.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Hahn would have been even more effective in the 80s/90s I think.

Gilbee and Eagleton two who would be suited to the modern game.

Post Thanks / Like

A long perfectly placed Gilbee delivery to a Marra lead and full stretch leap. Pure art!

Post Thanks / Like

Snap-(Gilbee & Eagleton) that’s who I thought of too!
    Last edited by josie; 06-11-2023 at 01:28 AM.