Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

View Poll Results: Guaranteed 'GOOD' or '50/50 great'

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll take the guarantee thanks very much?

11 78.57%
  • Risk it for the biscuit...EVERY TIME!

3 21.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'Hazy' Crystal Ball - You can only have ONE THING!

You are both LUCKY and CURSED to be the owner of a 'hazy' crystal ball.

We are about to select our first pick in the 2023 National Draft. You have a clear choice between TWO (2) players.

One player projects a 'CLEAR' image. They are reliable and dependable. They are relatively injury free. You can see them running out with the team every week and being regularly selected. You see them run through a 150-game banner...

The other player is fading in and out. You see them holding up a best and fairest...then you see their name on the FRONT page of the paper. You see a couple of REMARKABLE goals. You see them in trade rumours. You see them injured. You watch the crystal ball and the positives and the negatives are flashing back and forth...this player could be ANYTHING...or NOTHING.

Who do you choose?

Swing for the fences or take the guarantee??
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Hazy' Crystal Ball - You can only have ONE THING!

The guarantee. You can plan around those guys knowing what you're going to get.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Swing for the Fences - I love a player with a bit of X factor
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer's ‘great’ was incredible. But his average was shocking. This has turned me off the 50/50. Give me ‘good’ day-in day-out.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

We are about to select our first pick in the 2023 National Draft. You have a clear choice between TWO (2) players.

One player projects a 'CLEAR' image. They are reliable and dependable. They are relatively injury free. You can see them running out with the team every week and being regularly selected. You see them run through a 150-game banner...

The other player is fading in and out. You see them holding up a best and fairest...then you see their name on the FRONT page of the paper. You see a couple of REMARKABLE goals. You see them in trade rumours. You see them injured. You watch the crystal ball and the positives and the negatives are flashing back and forth...this player could be ANYTHING...or NOTHING.

Who do you choose?

Generally speaking I guess it depends how comfortable you are with the other young players on the list? Do you have 5-6 young players that have really shown something and look like being 200 gamers at minimum. 100% go for the guy that could be amazing.

Are you an absolute basket case that has messed up your recent draft picks? Maybe take the sure thing. Put a foundation in place.

The problem with us is, I have no idea what we are and where we sit. Are we an under performing top 4 side or are we on the decline and about to comfortably miss the 8? I guess I'd go the 50/50. If I can keep the crystal ball I'd always pick the 50/50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Generally speaking I guess it depends how comfortable you are with the other young players on the list? Do you have 5-6 young players that have really shown something and look like being 200 gamers at minimum. 100% go for the guy that could be amazing.

Are you an absolute basket case that has messed up your recent draft picks? Maybe take the sure thing. Put a foundation in place.

The problem with us is, I have no idea what we are and where we sit. Are we an under performing top 4 side or are we on the decline and about to comfortably miss the 8? I guess I'd go the 50/50. If I can keep the crystal ball I'd always pick the 50/50.
    What would you do us?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What would you do us?
    I time traveled to answer you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Who do you choose?

There's an easy comparison of "if you had only been able to pick one, would you have taken Stringer or Macrae?".

Stringer probably won more games off his own boot, but Macrae contributed to more wins overall.

So for me it's the safe bet, reliable option.

9. Likes Dry Rot, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So in stock market speak it's a technical or fundamental trading approach. I'll stick with guaranteed returns and I'm not prepared to gamble with early picks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the cert. Reliable aint boring.

Post Thanks / Like

9 times out of 10 I'd go for consistent.

This time around - I'm going for the X factor. Collingwood took the X factor (de Goey, Hill) to a flag while two 'dependable' players (Adams and Noble) looked on.
    Tom Mitchell - dependable, he is what he is - cost 4/5ths of SFA and stepped in admirably.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    There's an easy comparison of "if you had only been able to pick one, would you have taken Stringer or Macrae?".

Stringer probably won more games off his own boot, but Macrae contributed to more wins overall.

So for me it's the safe bet, reliable option.
    To be fair the first option could easily be Bailey Williams, or Tom Cole, or Tom Jonas, or Ed Curnow.

Best case is Stringer vs Macrae, more likely case is, actually it's kind of hard to think of many mediocre guys that would have ticked the second options boxes.

The all or nothing types are typically worth it if they manage to win a B&F, I mean you probably do take the gamble on Stringer being the worst case example I can think of as an eclectic star. I mean the other ones that srping to mind are JDG, Greene, Martin, maybe Sidebottom, I'm cool with that. Bennell is probably the worse example but B&F kind of implies he managed to get his shit together on and off field more than he did in real life.

Sign me up for option 2 please.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    9 times out of 10 I'd go for consistent.

This time around - I'm going for the X factor. Collingwood took the X factor (de Goey, Hill) to a flag while two 'dependable' players (Adams and Noble) looked on.
    Tom Mitchell - dependable, he is what he is - cost 4/5ths of SFA and stepped in admirably.
    X factor for me too. Right now I prefer that to a second Macrae
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I time traveled to answer you
    A guess then

Post Thanks / Like

You never know what you're going to get with this group, so give me the guaranteed consistent performer - we need more of them!
    W00F!