Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players who desperately need to make a leap in 2024

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I like that call, but what is Anthony Scott? I think he's an inside mid that we force onto a flank because he's clean, a nice kick, can take a mark and can do a 'job'.

It's not that dissimilar to Robbie McComb. We grab the most well-performed Footscray player (an inside mid) but can't play them there because we're already stacked so ask them to do a job they aren't suited to. If we are getting a Footscray player this year, I hope we're a bit more inventive in looking to fill a need, not just selecting the next-best player on the conveyor belt (which would probably be Lachie Sullivan).
    Scott is excellent depth who can play down the side of the ground forward, middle and back. He can take a mark, can kick a goal via excellent conversion, and right place right time. What he can't do is all of those things consistently in games and between them.

I'm happy enough if he plays, but I want him to be the guy putting pressure on the guy who is playing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I'm not sure I agree he has to make a significant leap. He has kicked between 40 and 50 goals for the last few seasons, so its a case of nudging that up a bit. He now takes the best defender and has the body strength to match. This opens up opportunities for JUH, the resting ruck and Weightman to flourish. If he scored 10 to 15 more goals a game that would be enough.
    He is capable of a significant leap but really if he could improve his goal kicking accuracy to the point that he could score 55 goals a season that would be a huge positive for the club and player.
    We have made a long term investment in keeping him at the club, he's in the leadership group and he's a very well paid player within the competition so we need to set the benchmark high for him. The good part his best football is still in front of him.
    He's got a very good support team around him in Ugle-Hagan, Lobb and Weightman so we do need Naughton to step forward and be the leader of the forward line. I like his chances of meeting this challenge.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What Kane knows and what he says are two different things.

Everyone else would be leaning on Smith, he goes Naughton because he's been building on him for a couple of months now. In the lead up to his contract and the aftermath.

He's right, Naughton needs to tidy things up and convert more. But he's worth what the market says he is, shit, great, in-between, or whatever. People don't understand that bit, they think players who earn big have to deliver beyond incremental improvement on what they've delivered in the past.

Kane speaks to them.
    Don't mansplain clickbait Jee

#jesuiskane

Post Thanks / Like

If I was putting the top 5 for the Dogs that need to improve as per Doc's lead I'd go with:

Bailey Smith - We need everything that Smith can offer. If he tidies up his kicking and stays fit there is a strong chance he could be the biggest improver on the playing list. It's a contract year so he should be well motivated.

Bailey Williams - For whatever reason we haven't quite seen the best from Williams and hopefully in 2024 we start to see him reach his potential. With the emergence of Poulter and the acquisition of Harmes he has some more competition for a spot on the wing so Williams should be well motivated.

Aaron Naughton - As per previous post

Sam Darcy - Two injury interrupted seasons but we've seen glimpses of his huge potential. Where he actually fits in still isn't quite clear.

Jack Macrae - He's been one of the competitions most consistent performers but in 2023 we saw a real downturn in his input.
    If Macrae can recover it can only help us.

Post Thanks / Like

Top 5 for me would be:

Smith - his best is brilliant and we need him to do that more often. If he can spend more time in the midfield where his wheels are important, tidy up his field kicking and also impact the scoreboard more consistently, he becomes one of the best players in the league. I don’t think he’ll get there, but a top 5 finish in our B&F would be great.

Jamarra - has shown incremental improvement each year and is now primed to take a bigger leap. Expectation will continue to be heaped on him and his importance of those leaps to our outcomes mean I’m putting him here.

Dale - struggled to get to the heights of previous years last year (not helped by injuries / form / new positions for some of his running mates down back) and is critical to our transition game. We need him getting 18-20 kicks each week.

Poulter - I think he has the size, running ability and long kicking game to be an 80m player who can also support back and forward in the air. If he can lock down a wing role and become productive (even if he’s a 15-20 disposal player next year) that will help us. A poor season could see him on the outter fast.

JOD - went from a “why is he getting a game” to “he’s got a lot to work with” over the course of the season and is now our key defender with the brightest future in my eyes. If he can grow his intercept game, and continue to build his decision making and disposal he’s a very important cog. Another where more expectation is coming and hopefully not a victim of second year blues.

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He is capable of a significant leap but really if he could improve his goal kicking accuracy to the point that he could score 55 goals a season that would be a huge positive for the club and player.
    We have made a long term investment in keeping him at the club, he's in the leadership group and he's a very well paid player within the competition so we need to set the benchmark high for him. The good part his best football is still in front of him.
    He's got a very good support team around him in Ugle-Hagan, Lobb and Weightman so we do need Naughton to step forward and be the leader of the forward line. I like his chances of meeting this challenge.
    I have a good feeling about Scott. Every year his been with us, he has improved. All the things mentioned above by jeemak, I see he does consistently. I see him as someone who can kick 30+ goals in a season then we have a very valuable player. 50 goals a season is a star ( very few players can do this) . His got a bit of a Matthew Boyd about him in his competitiveness, and their Rookie journeys are similar in their VFL path.
    The good thing he provides depth, and his competitiveness he will push himself to be best 22, to even higher instead of a fringe player or making up the numbers.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Top 5 for me would be:

Smith: For a guy who will command significant coin he needs to be mentioned in the same breath as Danger/Neale/Cripps/Bont

West: He needs to own that midfield spot and push Libba aside. Wont be easy, but he is running out of time

Darcy: injury ruined season means he as slipped in a year of development. Want him really competing with Lobb come the end of the year for the 2nd ruck role

Busslinger: if he can't hold down a spot in a really weak backline then to be honest he is never going to. Yes he is only a 2nd year player, but we need to see what he has and whether he has anything. Was a bit of a reach when we should probably have gone with a mid.

Bedendo: the club has shown faith in him and this year its time to repay

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bailey Williams needs to be hit with the proverbial cattle prod this off-season. He's been rewarded with a longish term deal off the back of middling form for the last 2 seasons. I commend the decision to retain him but I expect him to significantly lift his output to an elite standard and challenge the existing midfield group to become an additional component of the mix in that part of the ground. He has capacity to become more consistently elite and damaging player, and has flexibility to add value in different areas (half-back, wing, midfield).

Over to you Truck.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think Bailey Williams needs to be hit with the proverbial cattle prod this off-season. He's been rewarded with a longish term deal off the back of middling form for the last 2 seasons. I commend the decision to retain him but I expect him to significantly lift his output to an elite standard and challenge the existing midfield group to become an additional component of the mix in that part of the ground. He has capacity to become more consistently elite and damaging player, and has flexibility to add value in different areas (half-back, wing, midfield).

Over to you Truck.
    Agree with this but one thing is he is being moved around alot because we can't seem to settle him into one role. Not sure if that effects his performance or not.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree with this but one thing is he is being moved around alot because we can't seem to settle him into one role. Not sure if that effects his performance or not.
    I am sure that it would. But that is a consequence of the broader team structure not working. Where might he be most damaging? Put him there and leave him there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I am sure that it would. But that is a consequence of the broader team structure not working. Where might he be most damaging? Put him there and leave him there.
    Bailey Williams best position has been as a wing man. Did struggle at different times
    when played as a defender. Needs to work on his pace and quicker ball movement forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Have we ever tried Williams in the middle or at clearances?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Have we ever tried Williams in the middle or at clearances?
    Don't recall him playing in the middle
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't recall him playing in the middle
    I can't recall it either. Worth considering though.

22. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey has shown aptitude in every position he's been played. It's his consistency across and within games in all of the spots he's been tried in that's led to him being moved around. Bevo when talking about one of our other Baileys (Dale) mentioned that like Bailey Bailey was too good not to be playing senior AFL footy so he had the luxury of being tried in different positions to see what really sticks at the level. It's worked for Bailey but Bailey hasn't quite settled.

I agree with Sedat, he should be mature enough to dig in and put it together for the rest of his career now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.