Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  233
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Peter Jackson helping Dogs with review

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I am a Bevo fan but the above is exactly what I don't want to see. He is a smart man and lets himself down by crossing swords with some of the media types. He doesn't need to waste time and energy on it and it's a battle he can't win anyway.

I actually think it's been a distraction at times having 3-4 of the highest profile media personalities in Melbourne in personal spats with him.

There is a time to stick up for players and the club but most of the time he just needs to cop it on the chin. I don't think the balance has been right in recent times.
    Yep makes sense, but would love him to come out and highlight Kano's Opinions with a remark about his negative remarks, gets him paid, he was a negative type player, wouldn't expect much else....I would Love Kano to say 50 positive things in a row, but that wont happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved reading the AB article today. Hammer on the nail. Good response. Next.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    "Any suggestion there is an unworkable breakdown in any relationships, including that of Chris and Luke, is frankly incorrect, as is any suggestion that role changes have been made on this basis," Bains said.
    Wait. So there IS a breakdown between them but it's not unworkable? Is that how I'm reading this? Because that wording would suggest that their is in fact, a problem.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Wait. So there IS a breakdown between them but it's not unworkable? Is that how I'm reading this? Because that wording would suggest that their is in fact, a problem.
    I think it definitely says the opposite.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's always a matter of timing with the club. I mentioned that we needed something from our Media Manager or CEO and that it shouldn't all fall on Luke and a few hours later AFL.com have a comprehensive response from Bains though no doubt was done yesterday when we had a few from the media at the training session.
    I just get the impression that everything is planned and prescribed as we head into the 2024 season.
    A comprehensive review completed professionally, new coaches and head of fitness in place, an elite facility when compared to 12 months ago for the players to train on, the VFL team will return home to the WO and an experienced playing list that should be well placed to push us into the finals.
    I get some of the media gets down on us but to me there isn't a lot of excuses and we should be able to stand on our performances.

Could you imagine the push we could get with memberships if we ran a campaign with the likes of Tim, Baz or Marra saying "I'm signed on..are you?"
    Agree. I think all those factors - training facilities, new faces etc set us up for a good preseason. I did wonder what impact training for a gameplan we ditched in round 3 had on our season. The superstars have the talent to adapt to anything but our second string players looked completely lost at times which I thought could have been connected to a lack of clarity and preparation of the gameplan we reverted back to

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I think it’s interesting wording and doubt it’s by chance. He hasn’t said “their working relationship is as strong as ever”.

That said - they’re both pros and don’t need to be best mates. If it’s workable, it’s workable.

10. Likes Vred, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all know there is a breakdown post Rowan Smith so as long as they can manage it that's what matters now.

Post Thanks / Like

?Really anxious?: Dogs confirm rumoured behind-the-scenes feud but deny it?ll hurt 2024

Tensions in the Western Bulldogs football department were real and had to be dealt with but have also abated since last year according to club boss Ameet Bains.

After an emotional and ?delicate? restructure at the Bulldogs, the chief executive backed coach Luke Beveridge to lead the club back into finals with what he said would be better support around the premiership mentor after a disappointing finish to 2023.

Bains said the appointment of former Geelong defender Matt Egan as general manager of football operations following the club?s review would help Beveridge as a ?buffer? within the football department, but strongly denied it was done to create distance between the coach and longtime director of football Chris Grant.

?I don?t think (Egan?s appointment) is a buffer in terms of what?s required between the pair, it?s certainly a buffer in terms of what the program needs, and that?s to have another senior leader within the football program,? Bains told SEN?s Whately program on Tuesday.

?There has been (tension) in many quarters I think just generally within the department, going back to the previous question about that uncertainty.

?But I was on record a couple of weeks ago dismissing some of the suggestions about there being a blow-up (between Beveridge and Grant) and an unworkable breakdown and things like that, I think that?s grossly exaggerated.?

Bains said the personnel overhaul and restructure over the off-season, which included the departure of Beveridge?s close friend and Bulldogs great Rohan Smith after 12 years as an assistant coach, had been a ?delicate? issue but he was confident the coach would enter the new season better supported by the new-look team under him.

?I think it?s been delicate with everyone, particularly in that phase last year where there was a lot of change and uncertainty, it?s human nature I think to be really anxious about what?s coming next,? Bains said.

?It?s fair to say that was last year, and coming back into the new year and we?ll talk about the season to come, it?s been incredibly positive.

?I think the process we?ve gone through has actually allowed for a lot of the people who have been at our club to almost have a cathartic experience I think, talking about it and getting things off their chest.?

The Bulldogs, who want to reach 60,000 members for the first time in 2024, will play both their unofficial and official pre-season games against Hawthorn this month in a situation Bains explained as the ?last two left at the dance? due to other teams? more complex travel requirements ahead of Opening Round.

Bains said there were ?conversations in train? about re-signing injured midfielder Bailey Smith early in the season as he recovers from his ACL tear, while he was not concerned about losing one of out-of-contract duo Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Tim English despite the significant cap space taken up by Aaron Naughton?s eight-year deal.

?I don?t think (the Naughton contract) impedes our ability to contract either of those players in the manner that we want to or feel is appropriate,? Bains said.

?Both have indicated that they want to stay, so that?s the starting point and we just need to get contracts done now.

13. Thanks jeemak, bornadog, angelopetraglia, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the points I made a while back in response to the view of Cornes that Beveridge and Grant have been separated is that going back for many years or at least during Bevo's time as coach that our senior coach has always reported to the GM of Footy going back to the Graham Lowe years and a slightly modified version with Chris Maple and really the only year where this didn't happen was last year.
    The review and the appointment of Egan has addressed that now and while it might be different to what some clubs do, it's as good as business as usual for us at the Kennel.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    ?Really anxious?: Dogs confirm rumoured behind-the-scenes feud but deny it?ll hurt 2024

Tensions in the Western Bulldogs football department were real and had to be dealt with but have also abated since last year according to club boss Ameet Bains.

After an emotional and ?delicate? restructure at the Bulldogs, the chief executive backed coach Luke Beveridge to lead the club back into finals with what he said would be better support around the premiership mentor after a disappointing finish to 2023.

Bains said the appointment of former Geelong defender Matt Egan as general manager of football operations following the club?s review would help Beveridge as a ?buffer? within the football department, but strongly denied it was done to create distance between the coach and longtime director of football Chris Grant.

?I don?t think (Egan?s appointment) is a buffer in terms of what?s required between the pair, it?s certainly a buffer in terms of what the program needs, and that?s to have another senior leader within the football program,? Bains told SEN?s Whately program on Tuesday.

?There has been (tension) in many quarters I think just generally within the department, going back to the previous question about that uncertainty.

?But I was on record a couple of weeks ago dismissing some of the suggestions about there being a blow-up (between Beveridge and Grant) and an unworkable breakdown and things like that, I think that?s grossly exaggerated.?

Bains said the personnel overhaul and restructure over the off-season, which included the departure of Beveridge?s close friend and Bulldogs great Rohan Smith after 12 years as an assistant coach, had been a ?delicate? issue but he was confident the coach would enter the new season better supported by the new-look team under him.

?I think it?s been delicate with everyone, particularly in that phase last year where there was a lot of change and uncertainty, it?s human nature I think to be really anxious about what?s coming next,? Bains said.

?It?s fair to say that was last year, and coming back into the new year and we?ll talk about the season to come, it?s been incredibly positive.

?I think the process we?ve gone through has actually allowed for a lot of the people who have been at our club to almost have a cathartic experience I think, talking about it and getting things off their chest.?

The Bulldogs, who want to reach 60,000 members for the first time in 2024, will play both their unofficial and official pre-season games against Hawthorn this month in a situation Bains explained as the ?last two left at the dance? due to other teams? more complex travel requirements ahead of Opening Round.

Bains said there were ?conversations in train? about re-signing injured midfielder Bailey Smith early in the season as he recovers from his ACL tear, while he was not concerned about losing one of out-of-contract duo Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Tim English despite the significant cap space taken up by Aaron Naughton?s eight-year deal.

?I don?t think (the Naughton contract) impedes our ability to contract either of those players in the manner that we want to or feel is appropriate,? Bains said.

?Both have indicated that they want to stay, so that?s the starting point and we just need to get contracts done now.
    The opening sentence totally misrepresents what Baines said and is way out of context.

Guarantee Cornes will run with it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The opening sentence totally misrepresents what Baines said and is way out of context.

Guarantee Cornes will run with it.
    So be it. Cornes will do and say whatever he wants. That’s pretty much most football journalism now. If we want to humble them, we win. Just replaying Barrett (in my head) on the 2nd of October 2016 telling everyone on camera that the Tom Boyd contract was now worth every cent (with the mannerisms of a hostage video) makes me smile.

I really don’t care what he says. I take more stock from social media influencers on what brand vitamins to buy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post