Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  93
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Ryley Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't see a lot wrong with the way we have introduced Sanders into his senior football journey.
    Why do you think he has been poorly managed?
    No problem saying he looks good preseason. Saying the best recruit he has seen is poor management.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    No problem saying he looks good preseason. Saying the best recruit he has seen is poor management.
    So providing an accurate assessment in front of the camera's etc is poor management?
    What would you have preferred that he said?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Sanders reaction could easily be that he was pissed off with himself that he got subbed not piss off that he got subbed.
    Depends on how you look at it.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

4. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So providing an accurate assessment in front of the camera's etc is poor management?
    What would you have preferred that he said?
    All that was needed was that he looks good, building him more before a game played wasn’t. Most Top 10 picks already have an inflated ego, no wonder he is extra upset when he was subbed.

Post Thanks / Like

All that was needed was that he looks good, building him more before a game played wasn’t. Most Top 10 picks already have an inflated ego, no wonder he is extra upset when he was subbed.
    Are you really saying that Bevo's comments contributed to Sanders having an inflated ego and getting upset at being subbed?
    I can't see how or why you're drawing that conclusion.

No player wants to be subbed unless they're injured. Some handle it better than others and what Bevo said about them in the media isn't a consideration.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about a storm in a teacup. A first year player gets subbed off and he is annoyed (either at himself or because he is passionate). Jeepers people raad into things way too much.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you really saying that Bevo's comments contributed to Sanders having an inflated ego and getting upset at being subbed?
    I can't see how or why you're drawing that conclusion.

No player wants to be subbed unless they're injured. Some handle it better than others and what Bevo said about them in the media isn't a consideration.
    Yes. If he saying that to the public, what’s he saying in private
    The best recruit ever seen that’s played in front of club veterans but subbed in 2 of 5 games, and had 2 others named rising star in front of him.
    Did he need the extra pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

Well well , I gave my thoughts last week he should be playing in VFL getting full game time and picking up 30 to 40 possessions and practising his craft and positioning, playing AFL and only 50-60% game time is limiting his ball in hand time.
    I’m not saying he isn’t any good I rate him but at his age he needs the ball in his hand as much as possible.
    Even Bontempelli played his first 4 games in vfl.
    Look at Darcy and Jamarra the first year or so ( take out Covid for jUH) they both played vfl first.
    I think the only player we put straight in that worked was Smith but he had a very strong body for his age.
    I see Sanders as an accumulator like Macrae but better disposal in time.
    Bring back the biff

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I see Sanders as an accumulator like Macrae but better disposal in time.
    Macrae is arguably the greatest accumulator we've seen in Bulldogs colours (bar Scott West) so that's a high bar to set.
    Sanders has a much more rounded defensive side to his game at the same age.

I suspect we give him a VFL run and he kills it and is back in the AFL the week afterwards
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I find the decisions around Sanders / Gags to be pretty interesting. To my eye, Sanders has been the better performer of the two, but there seems to be something we don't like in his game compared to Gallagher, considering Gags has played full games and Sanders has been subbed twice.

Is it a role thing? Gags is more of the outside runner whereas Sanders probably needs to play inside to be effectual? I'm fine with that, but then it didn't make a heap of sense taking him out for Bailey Dale when we were getting hurt on clearance.

I think I'm seeing more to like about Sanders' games than the MC and he's a bit of a victim of a change in style towards a more transitional, running game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Macrae is arguably the greatest accumulator we've seen in Bulldogs colours (bar Scott West) so that's a high bar to set.
    Sanders has a much more rounded defensive side to his game at the same age.

I suspect we give him a VFL run and he kills it and is back in the AFL the week afterwards
    Macrae had to do it to get back in and poor old Garcia is smashing it and can’t get in , I would swap Garcia for Sanders, Garcia has more urgency and a bit harder, we need hardness not pretty boy atm
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanders dad and grandparents in crowd - might have been disappointed for them travelling and him being subbed?
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah coaches should never praise anyone, exceptionally poor management

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I think it was over the top it actually sends out a bad msge to other recruits like JUH or Smith as in he didnt think they were as good as him.
    Smith was 100% better ready than Sanders, now Sanders might feel he hasn’t lived up to what was expected.
    Bevo should have just said he is tracking extremely well for a game in round 1.
    Still praising him but not putting pressure on him, it also gives the media a free kick at Bevo if he drops him.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Is that what I said?