Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  93
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Ryley Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    No problem saying he looks good preseason. Saying the best recruit he has seen is poor management.
    Lucky nobody said that.
    "Most advanced" is not "best recruit"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...01-p5f91u.html
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes GVGjr, MrMahatma, jeemak, mighty_west liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Lucky nobody said that.

Thanks for highlighting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky nobody said that.

My reading was he was just ready to plug in and play.
    He won or came podium in an early 2k time trial and had a pre season many with multiple under their belts can't deliver.
    Bevo's statement was spot on and why not generate some hype in pre season. It's the time to do it!

5. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    My reading was he was just ready to plug in and play.
    He won or came podium in an early 2k time trial and had a pre season many with multiple under their belts can't deliver.
    Bevo's statement was spot on and why not generate some hype in pre season. It's the time to do it!
    Hyperbole or not, pretending Bevo said something he actually didn't it pretty poor form to try and make a point.

Sanders is clearly passionate. To me that's great. I'll take a thrown water bottle here and there over someone that pisses their opportunity up the wall.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The kid is going to be something bloody good that is for sure, and it wasn't just Bevo or the coaching staff or the club talking him up, us supporters read the awesome training reports, we see how he was playing in the pre-season games, the media see how he's tracking and many in the media have pumped up his tyres big time (not quite as much as Harley mind you), to say he's the most advanced is not poor management what so ever, his preparation for training sessions, his voice on the track, the way he is training, all of it is what we all want to know as passionate supporters, internally the club would be working non stop not just with Ryley but with all draftees around the pressures and managing expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d like to know who among the coaching staff, or how Riley was spoken to when he was subbed.

Is it clear to him the reasons, whether this is “ you’re doing great, we are just managing your minutes, our data trackers show us you’re fatigued” - or whatever fact-based reasons there are. Or “ we noticed you didn’t stand where we needed at the stoppages, you ran into spots we didn’t want you to”… or whatever.

Is this happening as well as it should be? What about our leaders at the club when they’re on the bench with him? A kid this young needs support, direction, to feel like he belongs and understands his role. Is our club that kind of place at the moment?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hyperbole or not, pretending Bevo said something he actually didn't it pretty poor form to try and make a point.

Sanders is clearly passionate. To me that's great. I'll take a thrown water bottle here and there over someone that pisses their opportunity up the wall.
    I'm perfectly ok with a young guy being pissed off and impetuous. He'll learn in time to hold onto it better, but I doesn't hurt to see him angry.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes Mofra, merantau, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I want a player to show some emotion whenever they are subbed out of a game for tactical reasons. Sanders probably went over the top just a bit but he will learn from it. It's not a big issue at all.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I’d like to know who among the coaching staff, or how Riley was spoken to when he was subbed.

Is it clear to him the reasons, whether this is “ you’re doing great, we are just managing your minutes, our data trackers show us you’re fatigued” - or whatever fact-based reasons there are. Or “ we noticed you didn’t stand where we needed at the stoppages, you ran into spots we didn’t want you to”… or whatever.

Is this happening as well as it should be? What about our leaders at the club when they’re on the bench with him? A kid this young needs support, direction, to feel like he belongs and understands his role. Is our club that kind of place at the moment?
    As a cricketer when you made a duck, no one went near you for the first 5 minutes as you were that angry, most times you are left alone to vent for a while and settle. Then in a more controlled environment you are talked to or discussion is made.
    I would say it’s much the same, especially when cameras and the media can’t wait to film it and blow it out of the water because I can assure you it wouldn’t have been a good look if he was seen upset while talking to a coach. Media would have made it a lot worse.
    Bring back the biff

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    As a cricketer when you made a duck, no one went near you for the first 5 minutes as you were that angry, most times you are left alone to vent for a while and settle. Then in a more controlled environment you are talked to or discussion is made.
    I would say it’s much the same, especially when cameras and the media can’t wait to film it and blow it out of the water because I can assure you it wouldn’t have been a good look if he was seen upset while talking to a coach. Media would have made it a lot worse.
    Remember a close mate as well as team mate who smashed a brick wall with his fist after getting out cheap, being his good mate i was the one to drive him to Willy hospital with a dislocated finger and broken hand with the one hit, Sanders possibly went a little too far but great to see him show some passion (just glad he didn't end up with a busted hand).

Post Thanks / Like

Could have also been performative.

I mean if you are trying to form your identity as a footballer who really cares about winning and getting the most of yourself, then a 19 year old might think that demonstrating how angry with himself he is is something he should be doing.

Much like he might think not going to the formal helps paint the picture of him being a responsible young man who is prepared to sacrifice to reach his goals.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with woofers saying at least he is showing some passion. Personally I hope he is not dropped next game.

Post Thanks / Like

Sanders is a very good player. He showed how much he wants to play. He shouldn't have been subbed out.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez. A bloke who manifestly cares and *gulp* shows it.

Fancy that.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

20. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Jeez. A bloke who manifestly cares and *gulp* shows it.

Fancy that.
    When I was his age in one game I called an umpire a cheating so and so, got sent off, punched the interchange bench sheet metal ten times (I knew it was flimsy) and the media didn't say boo about it.

This was at Blackburn kicking the dew off at 11am, but still.......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

22. Likes chef, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post