Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  36
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF welcomes Jordan Croft to the Kennel

Is he somewhat like Noah Balta? He was apparently one of only, if not the only player at Richmond who hadn't won a premiership until 2020.

Sorry if my memory is a little hazy, it was a key stat that didn't seem to get mentioned on the day.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongBulldog View Post
    Do you think you could please post the Q&A video with Sam and Dom discussing the draft? Would be very interested to see their analysis of how we went in the draft.
    There was a link sent to all members. I will try and find it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What is it with fathers producing beanpoles, first Brian who was only around 183cm and Ayce over 200, now Crofty 191cm with son Jordon also towering over the old man at 200, crazy!

So impressed with his pace for his size, if he makes it he's going to be hard to play on, just needs to fill out a lot, don't think we'll see alot in his first few seasons.

4. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    What is it with fathers producing beanpoles, first Brian who was only around 183cm and Ayce over 200, now Crofty 191cm with son Jordon also towering over the old man at 200, crazy!

So impressed with his pace for his size, if he makes it he's going to be hard to play on, just needs to fill out a lot, don't think we'll see alot in his first few seasons.
    It's not just ex players either. My son towers over me.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post

It's a rare combination or athletic ability to have it so visible in someone so young. Its a real contrast to when Darcy arrived.

Post Thanks / Like

He still seems pretty raw but looks quite the athlete. Can see the competitiveness.

8. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Dazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a few people wondering why Croft wasn't training at the start of preseason. Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere, I can't see the main training thread, but he had COVID. Hopefully no lingering effects. I've heard suggestions that one of the reasons Keath dropped away so quickly was due to lingering COVID symptoms.

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is he somewhat like Noah Balta? He was apparently one of only, if not the only player at Richmond who hadn't won a premiership until 2020.

Sorry if my memory is a little hazy, it was a key stat that didn't seem to get mentioned on the day.
    I don't think he's as strong as Balta overhead. Most of Crofts marks would have come on the lead. He's probably not as good a kick as Balta either. That's one of Crofts weaknesses and something he'll have to work on. Very inconsistent ball drop.

He's probably more agile and better at ground level then Balta although he might lose that a little as he bulks up.
    One of the reasons I like him as a defender is he's really quick to recover and get back into contests and he stays low when the ball is on the ground so he stays agile and can tackle smaller players without giving away free kicks. Also a real competitor so you can see he'd have the right mindset to defend.

12. Thanks josie, Prince Imperial thanked for this post
    Likes doggies ftw, Bullies, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    I don't think he's as strong as Balta overhead. Most of Crofts marks would have come on the lead. He's probably not as good a kick as Balta either. That's one of Crofts weaknesses and something he'll have to work on. Very inconsistent ball drop.

He's probably more agile and better at ground level then Balta although he might lose that a little as he bulks up.
    One of the reasons I like him as a defender is he's really quick to recover and get back into contests and he stays low when the ball is on the ground so he stays agile and can tackle smaller players without giving away free kicks. Also a real competitor so you can see he'd have the right mindset to defend.
    Croft will fit in well in the forward line then with an inconsistent ball drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the observations.

Perhaps a couple of years with the big boys will develop the additional strength he will need.

From what I have read he is high class in the speed/endurance for his height. Would that be on the case?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Thanks for the observations.

Perhaps a couple of years with the big boys will develop the additional strength he will need.

From what I have read he is high class in the speed/endurance for his height. Would that be on the case?
    Yeah I think you can almost remove 'for his height' from that statement.
    Was 4th the 2k time trial so elite endurance.
    Don't think he tested super fast for the 20m sprint but I feel like those results are often pretty unreliable. Definitely looks fast and agile on the field.

16. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think you can almost remove 'for his height' from that statement.
    Was 4th the 2k time trial so elite endurance.
    Don't think he tested super fast for the 20m sprint but I feel like those results are often pretty unreliable. Definitely looks fast and agile on the field.
    I always find the 20m sprint an interesting thing to test. Some have terrific acceleration to reach top speed within the first few strides, while others need more time to wind up.

On the footy field it is not usual thing to sprint from a standing start except perhaps forwards on the lead.

Mostly players have momentum before receiving the ball and being able to go at top speed then is important.

When you test for a 20 metre sprint the important speed is the last 10 or 15 after players have got to top speed.

Players like Lewis Jetta and Cyril Rioli would run away from players when at top speed. Jetta actually did that to Rioli in the 2012 GF.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I always find the 20m sprint an interesting thing to test. Some have terrific acceleration to reach top speed within the first few strides, while others need more time to wind up.

On the footy field it is not usual thing to sprint from a standing start except perhaps forwards on the lead.

Mostly players have momentum before receiving the ball and being able to go at top speed then is important.

When you test for a 20 metre sprint the important speed is the last 10 or 15 after players have got to top speed.

Players like Lewis Jetta and Cyril Rioli would run away from players when at top speed. Jetta actually did that to Rioli in the 2012 GF.
    It may be positional - Bont is terrible over the first 10m but is so smart he just knows how to hit where the ball is with pace, so you don't notice it in play.

And who can ever forget the famous comment re: Justin Sherman - "he has pace and uses it to run straight to the opposition".

I think Croft's goal kicking is (ahem) "problematic" and with his natural endurance and our propensity to play our defenders "high" he actually fits our defensive system well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at his highlights reel his agility seems as good as any player of any size.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah exactly and some players get sprinting coaches in to help them get the best results. Over 20m the reaction to the start gun can have a significant impact and even though they take the best of 3 some players are just better at reacting to the start.

The agility test is also a bit inaccurate because the players just have to weave between evenly spaced posts. It doesn't resemble anything like real match scenarios

22. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post