Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  153
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Draft Day 2 & Rookie Draft

Didn't North only realise Sanders was eligible for NGA late this year, and tried to retrospectively add him despite having nothing to do with his development?

If they had to be signed up by the time they were 15 or 16, would that help?

The other thought I had was around points...
    If a player is bid in the top 10, then you need 1x top 10 or 2x top 20 to match it.
    Bid in top 20, 1x top 20 or 2x top 30.
    Etc

One of the biggest rorts is the ability to match a bid at #2 with 6 picks in the 30s.

2. Likes Happy Days, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Didn't North only realise Sanders was eligible for NGA late this year, and tried to retrospectively add him despite having nothing to do with his development?

If they had to be signed up by the time they were 15 or 16, would that help?

The other thought I had was around points...
    If a player is bid in the top 10, then you need 1x top 10 or 2x top 20 to match it.
    Bid in top 20, 1x top 20 or 2x top 30.
    Etc

One of the biggest rorts is the ability to match a bid at #2 with 6 picks in the 30s.
    Yes I like that idea JD.

You need to at least use a pick in the vicinity. Like within 10 picks. So Jamarra we had to use 1-11 otherwise we miss out. I think that's better than making all bids after 40.
    AFL really cock these things up every time.

Marra eg

If he's pick 1 we have to trade up to at least 11, then use more picks to match the points.

On index points :

1 = 3000
    11 = 1329

We've got a ton of work to do to get him with that 1671 point deficit. It's equivalent to about pick 7.

This system we pay at least pick 11, and a bunch of picks worth 1621 for Marra v what we did pay (with 20 percent discount that should be removed too) picks 29, 33, 41, 42, 52, 54

I think that's more palatable/reasonable.

Lual that would've worked nicely, he gets picked at 39, we use 39-49 plus another bunch of picks that makes up the points difference.

My only problem may be if clubs bid way earlier than they're worth, however that's fine if they want to take that risk.

Edit: If we had of had say pick 5 in the Marra year originally. We didn't have to use it on him, we would use it however to lever our way to 11 and reduce the deficit.
    I reckon this would make it really interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    They were trying to get the rules changed around their compensation pick (the one they hadn't been awarded at that time) so they could have access to Sanders via the NGA. I am told they initially expected the McKay comp to be end-of-first round. As it turned out, they didn't need the likes of Sanders...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

With this NGA and Father/Son rules, they could easily come up with a better system if they wanted to do so.

The first step would be to tighten the qualification.

Then I would suggest that the 20% discount is OK for anyone who qualifies, but where a team has multiple the discount reduces. Say 10% for the second and no discount beyond that. I would also require any points to include at least some from the next round.

So a first round match must include at least a second round pick, while a second round match must include a third round match.

This would prevent a club getting access to multiple first rounders in the same draft unless they traded aggressively.

Might also mean more established players get traded and there probably needs to be scope for established players being traded on draft night.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    With this NGA and Father/Son rules, they could easily come up with a better system if they wanted to do so.

The first step would be to tighten the qualification.

Then I would suggest that the 20% discount is OK for anyone who qualifies, but where a team has multiple the discount reduces. Say 10% for the second and no discount beyond that. I would also require any points to include at least some from the next round.

So a first round match must include at least a second round pick, while a second round match must include a third round match.

This would prevent a club getting access to multiple first rounders in the same draft unless they traded aggressively.

Might also mean more established players get traded and there probably needs to be scope for established players being traded on draft night.
    So assuming you had 2 first round prospects you'd likely need 3 2nd round picks to meet the criteria. Unless there were some flexibility to 'save' a pick from point use.

Eg you have 19,20, 40. You use 19 and 40 on a bid at 10 (lets remove the points discount for a moment here) but save 20 for the next player who is bid on at 15.

7. Likes GVGjr, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So assuming you had 2 first round prospects you'd likely need 3 2nd round picks to meet the criteria. Unless there were some flexibility to 'save' a pick from point use.

Eg you have 19,20, 40. You use 19 and 40 on a bid at 10 (lets remove the points discount for a moment here) but save 20 for the next player who is bid on at 15.
    No.
    You use your points for 10 and then might need to trade in something extra if your next player goes at 15. Alternative is to let one go unmatched.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    No.
    You use your points for 10 and then might need to trade in something extra if your next player goes at 15. Alternative is to let one go unmatched.
    Right you're saying continue with the current system, introduce an additional requirement and make no concessions to enable bids on multiple kids. Fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Right you're saying continue with the current system, introduce an additional requirement and make no concessions to enable bids on multiple kids. Fair enough.
    That's about it, but the additional kids also have less available discount.

Post Thanks / Like

The other ridiculous thing is having to delist players to create a pick because you need the points, then re drafting the players as rookies.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes hujsh, Dry Rot, Testekill liked this post