Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  57
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF welcomes Aiden O'Driscoll to the Kennel

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Recruiters talking about Aiden

They only really talk about his athletic profile (and it's very impressive) but the fact they don't mention much else is a sign that there's lots of room for improvement outside that. Still we took a raw athlete with Easton Wood and it worked alright so hopefully he can follow in the footprints of that man.
    Thanks for that Hujsh. Definitely sounds like he does his best work high up the ground where we can put that pace and running capacity to best use. Feel like we've recruited/targeted him as a wing/half forward rather than forward pocket.

He's an exciting one, probably a punt based on his athletic profile that the coaching team can really mould.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Thanks for that Hujsh. Definitely sounds like he does his best work high up the ground where we can put that pace and running capacity to best use. Feel like we've recruited/targeted him as a wing/half forward rather than forward pocket.

He's an exciting one, probably a punt based on his athletic profile that the coaching team can really mould.
    His best colts footy - and prob best school footy - has been as a running half-back. He had regular stints inside the game at colts level in 2022 and and school both this year and last.

He is more than a 'runner' and is exceptional below his knees - needs a LOT of work on body positioning and composure under pressure.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Thanks josie, jazzadogs, lemmon, Mofra, kruder, SquirrelGrip, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, MrMahatma, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    His best colts footy - and prob best school footy - has been as a running half-back. He had regular stints inside the game at colts level in 2022 and and school both this year and last.

He is more than a 'runner' and is exceptional below his knees - needs a LOT of work on body positioning and composure under pressure.
    I can see his pace being a weapon coming out of half back. Similar to JJ.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. I've not seen anyone mention he played half back. If you hadn't mentioned those areas of improvement I might get my hopes up he could be our Dureya replacement in time. But I'm not sure you can match the likes of Charlie Cameron without composure and positioning (not that many can match him at all).

Post Thanks / Like

“Exceptional below the knees” has me excited. (Expecting puns).

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Milesi on the club website talking about the draft overall, dropped that we are looking at AOD as a small forward.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Small pressure forward?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Milesi on the club website talking about the draft overall, dropped that we are looking at AOD as a small forward.
    azabob also leaked something similar on woof on Tuesday night.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    “Exceptional below the knees” has me excited. (Expecting puns).
    Why Josie? There's literally nothing there to make a pun with (that's what she said).
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

The doggies vision gives us a much better indication of his pace ,the AFL clip was average at best.

13. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Why Josie? There's literally nothing there to make a pun with (that's what she said).
    You’re right.

I do recall thinking it could be read as a silly sentence (separate to footy interpretation) ie. me being enamoured by a pair of attractive lower legs and not caring for much else. Even so there’s no puns there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yeah. I don’t think that’s his go but happy to be proven wrong.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. I don’t think that’s his go but happy to be proven wrong.
    With his terrific combination of speed and endurance we should be targeting him developing as a winger or perhaps as a high half forward more than a forward pocket. Our aim should be to maximise those attributes.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I could see the pressure forward role being a way to get him to develop his consistency and physicality maybe. Even if it's just in the VFL as part of rotations. With that pace and endurance I want him to love to tackle. Given he has a good vertical hopefully taller wingers want be able to easily take advantage aerially if that's where he ends up.

Post Thanks / Like

He can dunk a basketball too which is a fair effort at his height
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't we be looking at developing someone with pace to defend.

Could O'Driscoll fill a role like that. His leap for his size would also help.

The other possibility would be Artie Jones but someone needs to learn to defend in the backline, not just apply defensive pressure as a forward.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured