Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  143
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF Welcomes Lachlan Bramble to the Kennel

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    We have always picked up players who play well against us.

This one is looking like a much more positive addition.
    Yep. That's long seemed to be a trait of our recruiting strategy. Even way back in the late '70s I can remember my dad pointing out rubbish players who happened to have a day out against us and saying "they'll be in the red, white and blue next year" 9 times out of 10 he was right.

But Bramble seems to have brought some qualities we really need.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Bramble has now played 33 games, so his going to get to that 50 game mark, where he could become a a good senior player. The good thing is he spent 30 games learning his craft at Hawthorn's expense.

His a good pickup and i think he will learn to play to his strengths. That first quarter kick for goals was really stupid and it highlighted his poor kicking when better options were available near the goal posts.

He reads the play really well. He is averaging 23 disposals, 15.3 kicks and 6.7 marks! so far his having his best season in his career. touch wood, his upwards trajectory continues.
    This is not a knock on Bramble as he has been very good. However, re best stats, he is taking most of the kick ins, and that does inflate kicks and possibly metres gained.

Post Thanks / Like

Extended contract for another year.

yay?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post

yay?
    We've played him in every game haven't we? Seems like a reasonable insurance choice as Duryea moves into retirement and JJ getting some injuries. I get that a lot of our supporters don't rate him but the MC are picking him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes azabob, bornadog, Sedat, Eastdog, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We've played him in every game haven't we? Seems like a reasonable insurance choice as Duryea moves into retirement and JJ getting some injuries. I get that a lot of our supporters don't rate him but the MC are picking him.
    I don't have any problems with him. Just needs to fix his disposals, with that odd error he makes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can live with 1 year. He has obvious athletic traits but he is too often careless with his disposal. We're not exactly bursting with small defender depth - as an aside, how did we miss out on Jordan Boyd when he was in our backyard in 2021? Was he even on our recruiters radar at the time? What a fantastic piece of talent spotting by Carlton.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Can live with 1 year. He has obvious athletic traits but he is too often careless with his disposal. We're not exactly bursting with small defender depth - as an aside, how did we miss out on Jordan Boyd when he was in our backyard in 2021? Was he even on our recruiters radar at the time? What a fantastic piece of talent spotting by Carlton.
    Seems to be one of the more prudent decisions we've done. Boyd has done very well hasn't he?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine with it too - good depth, but the kind of player that you hopefully have some other guys move past (like Freijah).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post

yay?
    He's alright. Happy enough with it.

I think before we make any further comment we should find out what comrade Setka thinks.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another B grader given a lifeline, it seems an obsession, an addiction. We could easily hold off till end of year, secure a more talented player in that position for a 2 year deal. I'm really sick of talent being overlooked at the expense of very average players. Bramble would thrive in the VFL but is not up to snuff in the ones. Aquire talent, develop and give the player games. Being McCombed over and over. Its an eyerolling tedious habit that seldom bears fruit. We never learn. Drives me spare.

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see it.

He finds the ball and can run which is good, but his disposal isn't anything to write home about. Nevertheless, it's his inability to defend / stick tackles which really limits him IMO.

He's better than McComb, Hayes and others we've had in the past but if we're half decent he should be nothing more than depth.
    W00F!

16. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pleather Sole View Post
    Another B grader given a lifeline, it seems an obsession, an addiction. We could easily hold off till end of year, secure a more talented player in that position for a 2 year deal. I'm really sick of talent being overlooked at the expense of very average players. Bramble would thrive in the VFL but is not up to snuff in the ones. Aquire talent, develop and give the player games. Being McCombed over and over. Its an eyerolling tedious habit that seldom bears fruit. We never learn. Drives me spare.
    I'm sure if we could get better talent we would.

Reality is most talented players don't want to come here. They want to go to the big clubs or have the coa$tal life$tyle. Our only other option is the St kilda path which is to overpay for b+ graders.

Out best bet, whether we like it or not (I don't) is to get top talent via the draft and do our best to ensure they don't jump ship. Unfortunately we traded our top pick this season and are about to lose 1 or 2 previous top picks to other clubs after having lost Dunkley as well. We're up against it sadly unlike a lot of other clubs.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He's alright. Happy enough with it.

I think before we make any further comment we should find out what comrade Setka thinks.
    I agree i like Bramble.

G would want us to move the Setka chat here right EW?

Can they just finish the west gate?

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the greatest ever player but required. I liked his first game back in Round 1 despite us losing by a lot in end against the Demons.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be one of the more prudent decisions we've done. Boyd has done very well hasn't he?
    He has been an amazing pickup for Carlton, given the injury problems Zac Williams has had. Crazy, ridicolous good pickup by Carlton. I don't understand how we could have missed him ????