Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  50
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd actually said...

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I've heard Tom say this. Sometimes I do think he's a bit of an elitist to be honest, surely we back the recruiters over the players... however; I kind of do it too. I look at some players and think, no chance.

I think with some of the speculative/lower picks, it's going to be that it may take some time and first impressions aren't necessarily a fair indicator of what a player will become.
    He did use VDM as an example of a player he thought had AFL traits it due to his elite speed.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

2. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I suspect it's more true for the natural players and less of an indicator for the role boys.

For instance Morris I imagine presented well at training professionally but you'd watch him running with the ball and his kicking style and have doubts whether he had it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Prestigiacomo
    Morris would be one player I doubt would be picked up as a youngster in the ND or even Rookie draft, based on the various skill levels required now for defenders and durability. One being, good kicking skills . Even if 1% off physically , can be found out.

Zac Dawson(166 games) , Darren Gasper,(228 games) , Simon Prestigiacomo(233 games!) similar types of players which would be mature age rookie or SPP type pickup.
    I hope Gardner can turnout to be a Morris type recruit . Anything more than 100 games is a great result.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of feel it's bullshit and isn't bullshit all at once.

There's enough players who have "it" who don't make it, to be counterbalanced by those who didn't seem to who do. But it's good conversation using specific examples/ experiences that are relatively limited to explain a league and history wide phenomena.

How much experience does Tom Boyd really have? More than me, sure, but for a lot of his time in the AFL he'd have been too far up in his own shit to notice what was happening around him.
    Last edited by jeemak; 28-11-2023 at 01:27 PM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this discussion and he is mostly right (maybe 80/20 as Mofra said). We just love the romance of the 20. They are our favourites - Tony Liberatore, Dale Morris, Liam Picken...

It made me think though - of any given AFL list, what percentage actually "make it"? Half?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can generally tell when someone has the attitude required to to make it within a month. It's probably harsh but you can tell who has the drive and who doesn't.

8. Likes SquirrelGrip, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are players like Schache who you can see the potential in but have a hell of a job unlocking it and then there are players like Morris that don't necessarily have a high ceiling but get there because they have one or two elite traits as well. It's a hard science and not an overly accurate one.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are players like Schache who you can see the potential in but have a hell of a job unlocking it and then there are players like Morris that don't necessarily have a high ceiling but get there because they have one or two elite traits as well. It's a hard science and not an overly accurate one.
    I think that's the rub - you can be scrappy, poorly skilled, slow etc BUT you need at least one elite trait to compensate for it.

Cross - terrible acceleration but elite endurance and commitment
    Picken - scrappy but super courageous and elite commitment
    Boyd - plucked out of Frankston 2nds due to his 'quick hands'
    Dahlhaus - I'll always maintain that no player ever managed to get back up after getting knocked down quicker than peak Dahlhaus. It meant he was never really out of the contest
    Ben Hudson - magnificent beard

Players who have a deficiency but everything else seems ok seem to be the guys that just never click. Poor Brodie Moles fits in here, decent footballer but a 'chucker' (would vomit before every game due to nerves) so had that nervousness that meant he never got to his potential.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Thanks GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recall Rocket saying something similar and that Kirk was the only one in his time coaching that turned it around.

Are you concerned clubs give up on players too quickly mjp?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think that's the rub - you can be scrappy, poorly skilled, slow etc BUT you need at least one elite trait to compensate for it.

Dahlhaus - I'll always maintain that no player ever managed to get back up after getting knocked down quicker than peak Dahlhaus. It meant he was never really out of the contest

Players who have a deficiency but everything else seems ok seem to be the guys that just never click. Poor Brodie Moles fits in here, decent footballer but a 'chucker' (would vomit before every game due to nerves) so had that nervousness that meant he never got to his potential.
    I'll just add a few more comments to some of the players you listed

Cross - Great hands, helped other players become better.
    Picken - Terrific endurance and versatile, went from a defender to a forward and just found a way to contribute
    Boyd - Unrelenting focus, demanded others to get serious. Did whatever role that was asked of him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I recall Rocket saying something similar and that Kirk was the only one in his time coaching that turned it around.

Are you concerned clubs give up on players too quickly mjp?
    Well....I know players think like this. But I actually think the opposite...I think 'clubs' hold on to players too long and are too quick to give them a second contract...

I hate a lot about the system right now and I think things are getting 'worse' for players who aren't 'ready' at age 18. It's actually getting impossible and I'm not sure the game is benefitting...

Those comments relate to another discussion though.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Thanks The Pie Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Dahlhaus was like a rubber ball in his first couple of seasons and his agility was also fantastic. Unfortunately that led to his body breaking down and us being more than willing to move him on.

17. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Boyd should probably stick to lighter and more empowering topics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Strange comment.
    Not allowed to give an informed opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    For a first post. Courageous Dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Strange comment.
    Not allowed to give an informed opinion?
    I say he should stay in his lane, to be frank. As relating to his role as a mental health advocate.

From the perspective of any recent draftee into any AFL environment.