Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  50
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd actually said...

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I say he should stay in his lane, to be frank. As relating to his role as a mental health advocate.

From the perspective of any recent draftee into any AFL environment.
    That's one aspect of Boyd. He's also a former professional athlete and a part time entertainer. I'd rather he give an actual opinion than just trot out the usual lines every current and recent player gives even when they work in the media.

Whether it's accurate or not is another aspect but I don't doubt he believes it and there may be some truth to it (even if it's a bit of a generalization)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's one aspect of Boyd. He's also a former professional athlete and a part time entertainer. I'd rather he give an actual opinion than just trot out the usual lines every current and recent player gives even when they work in the media.

Whether it's accurate or not is another aspect but I don't doubt he believes it and there may be some truth to it (even if it's a bit of a generalization)
    That's a really good point. I'd like your comment to save a needless reply but just figuring it out. But it is refreshing hearing more substantial stuff from any media. I may have been a tad defensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I say he should stay in his lane, to be frank. As relating to his role as a mental health advocate.

I think Boyd has just as much right as anyone else to his opinion on any aspect of footy at
    AFL level. And given his experience at seeing more than most draft level players come into the system he's probably got more than most knowledge of this topic.

It doesn't mean mean that we have to agree with it though.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It feels like something that couldn't be more in his lane, tbh

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be really interested if he objectively thought that after his first month that he himself was going to make it......or whether others did. I mean, he played a few magnificent games and then mostly flat handed marking attempts for the rest of them.......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think that like a lot of big guys as he got more experience and became more used to his size he would have become a better and better player.

It's a tragedy that we'll never find out.

7. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Personally I think that like a lot of big guys as he got more experience and became more used to his size he would have become a better and better player.

Agree, that he may have.

But I also think there would have been enough astute judges, more astute than he, who may have thought at some point this guy might not make it.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm even bothering with comments I haven't heard or not bothered to look further into.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'd be really interested if he objectively thought that after his first month that he himself was going to make it......or whether others did. I mean, he played a few magnificent games and then mostly flat handed marking attempts for the rest of them.......
    Read his book he always had doubts on making it.
    Bring back the biff

10. Thanks lemmon thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His performance in the 2016 GF showed that he could have become a good player. He was only young and still maturing and would be at his peak now at age 28.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely Jason Tutt looked the goods early doors?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, that he may have.

But I also think there would have been enough astute judges, more astute than he, who may have thought at some point this guy might not make it.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm even bothering with comments I haven't heard or not bothered to look further into.
    He got a lot of grief from the Monday Experts up until his 2016 finals performance.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His performance in the 2016 GF showed that he could have become a good player. He was only young and still maturing and would be at his peak now at age 28.
    That's what I'm basing my opinion on. When he needed to go up a level he had it in him to go up to that level.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this actually brings a lot of clarity to it.

I think Boyd's statement generically works in terms of assessing whether a player might have the ability to be a chance of being an AFL player, but the way it is presented is that you can just pick the guys who are going to have careers or not after week one.

I guess it's probably very apparent the guys who definitely won't make it, but the 70% of players who are in the mix qre probably much harder to classify.

Bailey Dale clearly has "it" but Lukas Webb probably does as well, just didn't eventuate.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I think this actually brings a lot of clarity to it.

I think Boyd's statement generically works in terms of assessing whether a player might have the ability to be a chance of being an AFL player, but the way it is presented is that you can just pick the guys who are going to have careers or not after week one.

I guess it's probably very apparent the guys who definitely won't make it, but the 70% of players who are in the mix qre probably much harder to classify.

Bailey Dale clearly has "it" but Lukas Webb probably does as well, just didn't eventuate.
    Dale's a great example of what we are talking about IMO. Look at how long it took him to finally become a consistent AFL quality player. He'd play 2-3 good (or even great) games a year but he must have only hung on to being on the list by his fingertips for a few years at the beginning of his career.

But the people who saw him day in, day out must have seen an elite quality or two and an attitude that convinced them to retain him. I'm sure that if we left it up to the supporters he would have been long gone before he came good.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo was on the record as saying Dale and Williams were too good not to be playing AFL, so he had to put them in positions until he found where they'd best play.

The issue I have with Boyd's comments is that he's unwittingly or not, suggesting he and other people in his position or similar know better than a whole bunch of experienced people who give out contracts as their profession.

And honestly, his type of view transcends AFL down to club football. Players get together, and they make their minds up about who is good, who isn't, who's going to make it at whatever level and who won't, and those views are limited.

It's great stuff for podcasts, but it's bullshit. Tom Boyd compared to professional club talent managers and coaches doesn't know anything. He's done six preseasons concentrating largely on himself and that's his exposure to the system, what the hell would he actually know outside of his biased view on who he thought he wanted to play with versus who he didn't?

Six preseasons.....and he knows who's going to make it. Give me a break.

The guy's 28 and has been out of the system for four or so years, take what he says with a grain of salt.

17. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes mjp, hujsh, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo was on the record as saying Dale and Williams were too good not to be playing AFL, so he had to put them in positions until he found where they'd best play.

The issue I have with Boyd's comments is that he's unwittingly or not, suggesting he and other people in his position or similar know better than a whole bunch of experienced people who give out contracts as their profession.

And honestly, his type of view transcends AFL down to club football. Players get together, and they make their minds up about who is good, who isn't, who's going to make it at whatever level and who won't, and those views are limited.

It's great stuff for podcasts, but it's bullshit. Tom Boyd compared to professional club talent managers and coaches doesn't know anything. He's done six preseasons concentrating largely on himself and that's his exposure to the system, what the hell would he actually know outside of his biased view on who he thought he wanted to play with versus who he didn't?

Six preseasons.....and he knows who's going to make it. Give me a break.

The guy's 28 and has been out of the system for four or so years, take what he says with a grain of salt.
    Sometimes you just know .
    Eg Chris Grant , Templeton , Bont , you just knew after the first game .
    It would work the opposite too.
    I’m not going to name bad ones but we as fans can see some aren’t going to make it after a game .
    Sometimes you just know .
    Now that’s not saying he didn’t try and support those ones but after a month of training I would say you could tell some just weren’t up to it .
    I believe we are looking to deep into the statement . Your right though take it with a grain of salt.
    We all meet people whether it’s work or sport that you know just aren’t up to it after a week or two.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post