Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The fourth phase

I have heard Bevo reference the phases of the game a number of times over recent years but the recent video released by the club is the first time I?ve heard him talk about the fourth phase.

Does anyone know whether this is a new approach / philosophy or have we always had four phases in how our coaching team and players viewed the game?

My reaction was ?this is brilliant?. We?re making it clear the importance of working hard and being alert for 120 minutes and making sure we?re giving or receiving direction during the game too. Sounds simple and obvious but it?s easy to lose focus on getting the basics right.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The fourth phase

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I have heard Bevo reference the phases of the game a number of times over recent years but the recent video released by the club is the first time I?ve heard him talk about the fourth phase.

Does anyone know whether this is a new approach / philosophy or have we always had four phases in how our coaching team and players viewed the game?

My reaction was ?this is brilliant?. We?re making it clear the importance of working hard and being alert for 120 minutes and making sure we?re giving or receiving direction during the game too. Sounds simple and obvious but it?s easy to lose focus on getting the basics right.

Just the new buzzword for “ put in for 4 quarters” ?
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Four phases - offensive train of thought, defensive train of thought, stoppages, and without the ball (most of the game).
    What does the community think our espoused actions are in each of these phases?
    (skiing downhill should not be an espoused action)

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Just the new buzzword for “ put in for 4 quarters” ?
    I think that's misunderstanding the message. You can give 4 quarters of effort without necessarily engaging with the '4th phase' Bevo is talking about there. What are you doing when we aren't attacking, defending or at a stoppage? Are you working to be in the best position in our structure? Are you still moving and creating issues for defenders with their matchups if the game does suddenly break? Are you holding your space as a winger? Are you directing team mates?

To me this is stuff you can dodge and still get your 8 touches a quarter but will make the team much better if you engage in it.

At least that's my takeaway.

7. Likes Go_Dogs, azabob, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think that's misunderstanding the message. You can give 4 quarters of effort without necessarily engaging with the '4th phase' Bevo is talking about there. What are you doing when we aren't attacking, defending or at a stoppage? Are you working to be in the best position in our structure? Are you still moving and creating issues for defenders with their matchups if the game does suddenly break? Are you holding your space as a winger? Are you directing team mates?

To me this is stuff you can dodge and still get your 8 touches a quarter but will make the team much better if you engage in it.

At least that's my takeaway.
    This is the stuff we're extremely poor at imo. I'd assume this isn't new instruction to the players but maybe it hasn't been emphasised enough previously? Or are the players confused with what they should be doing?

When the opposition has the ball we often see a glut of our players jogging within almost 5 metres of each other, not particularly doing anything whilst one defender had 3 guys to man up. This is just one example. There appears to be no directives or desire to do anything.

The games where we've looked awesome there's been very little of that. That's a symptom. I've no idea the cause. Fitness? Laziness? No idea what to do?

9. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There were senior players who instantly said "fourth phase" when he asked what the 4 symbolised, so I don't think it's a new message.

It's probably my only concern with that video... Are these actually fresh ideas, or just the same things that have been getting ignored for years?

Post Thanks / Like

I took the video as saying we haven’t been fit enough to do what we need in that phase, and that’s the phase that has let us down in the past. So not necessarily that the new focus is on that phase, but that to be able to implement what we need, we have to get fitter so we can move and think as we need in that phase.

Maybe it’s not a new idea, but a new approach to ensure we can execute it.

12. Likes hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I took the video as saying we haven’t been fit enough to do what we need in that phase, and that’s the phase that has let us down in the past. So not necessarily that the new focus is on that phase, but that to be able to implement what we need, we have to get fitter so we can move and think as we need in that phase.

Maybe it’s not a new idea, but a new approach to ensure we can execute it.
    That's fair. It's harder to focus on those things when you're more fatigued. Also goes along with BT&T's point
    When the opposition has the ball we often see a glut of our players jogging within almost 5 metres of each other, not particularly doing anything whilst one defender had 3 guys to man up.
    That's the kind of thing you try to get away with

Post Thanks / Like

It was repressing this is finally a priority. Looks to me Egan and co have been in Bevo’s ear and he is on board which is promising. If the bevo of 15/16 returns and with Egan assuming greater responsibility we may be looking at a successful season.

Fitness has been an obvious problem for the last 2 seasons. The stats indicate this so new fitness staff and new coaching staff is a big positive for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's fair. It's harder to focus on those things when you're more fatigued. Also goes along with BT&T's point

That's the kind of thing you try to get away with
    Yeah it could indeed be fitness. To the supporters eye it could be mistaken as laziness but that's A LOT of lazy players.

You have to wonder why our fitness has been below the required standard. I guess it also raises other questions such as is the gameplan too taxing?

It at least seems we're working towards addressing the issues. Better late than never.

Post Thanks / Like

I want a phase 5 . Hard at the ball and opposition, start hurting teams physically, look mean play mean.
    I think we lack that tough hard look and have for a few years.
    There is pretty footy and there is ugly footy we need more ugly.
    Bring back the biff

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I want a phase 5 . Hard at the ball and opposition, start hurting teams physically, look mean play mean.
    I think we lack that tough hard look and have for a few years.
    There is pretty footy and there is ugly footy we need more ugly.
    I'd take a phase 6. Finishing in front of goal

19. Likes josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    I'd take a phase 6. Finishing in front of goal
    That’s past counting on one hand, players will struggle with that.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

It's a big focus of today's session
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone pls explain the 4 phases?