Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If _______ and _______ are All Australian this year, we make the top 4?

Well we might not like SEN but after a fan survey this was the result .. this is just wow stuff IMG_8521.jpg
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Really interesting mix of responses so far, with lots of nominations from the spine, a few running midfielders and/or wingers, and Weightman as the only pocket player.

Highlights we think we need more from our key position players and vital midfield cogs.

3. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, it's all about defence.

If we can have a couple of AA seasons out of our defenders to me that's the sign we make top 4.

Considering our struggles with rebound 50, I'll say Dale, and without a May type the next best is an interceptor so I'll go Jones.

Dale and Jones for me.

5. Likes muzzyahoy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jones and Libba, Can make top 4 with only Bont making AA if we have even contributions across the Board, we are fitter and better match day coaching. Maybe do as Pies and practice end of game scenarios.

7. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of merit in the opening posts recommendations of Baz and Naughton in identifying two players who if they have AA seasons would help us in our top 4 ambitions for 2024.

Naughton has been a consistent goal kicker for the last 3 years with 47, 51 and 44 goals so for him to get into the AA conversation he would probably need to kick 65 goals plus for the season. That's possibly achievable in a really good season but he's probably going to get somewhere around 50 goals anyway. Those extra 15 or 20 goals will in all likeliness win us an extra 3 or 4 games which based on this seasons effort and that would just about get us into the top 4.

One other scenario could be that if Lobb were to to make AA he would probably need to kick just 40 goals and clearly become the premier 2nd ruckman in the competition. A few more marks around the ground and of course some more hit outs

I'd normally be keen to see a defender as the next priority but if Jones just stays fit we will be a far better side. Richards and Dale are always in the mix and I doubt if either of them have an outright AA season that it changes the needle much for us. JJ had a good season and once again just staying fit will be a huge plus for us. O'Donnell made a lot of progress late in the season and Coffield adds some depth there. I don't see any real scenario that an AA level season from any of them results in a lot more wins for us.

Now if Baz Smith were to have that absolute AA type season and somehow get ahead of or break even with the likes of Gulden, Butters, Cripps, Neale and Rozee etc then could really change our fortunes. I'm not sure how realistic that is but in a team of already great midfielders that would make for an exciting season.

There are a lot of scenarios that would help make us a far better side but I think Naughton and Smith could work for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogfan, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards and JUH

Means we've started defending and rebounding much more strongly without him getting shut down either way because there's no other avenue to the move the ball.

Means we've grown out threat forward of the ball and hit the scoreboard significantly.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

11. Thanks GVGjr, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam Jones making AA would certainly mean an improved performance for the team with consistency.

The more I think of it the achievement to guarantee a successful year would be Liam Jones winning the Norm Smith.

I think we could all be happy with that.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Nick Larkey was All Australian last year...so not a guarantee. Though I agree if you had the TWO AA key forwards you're doing something right.
    He could have kicked 80 goals and I doubt North would be pressing the top 8. We are a bit different and just need some consistent scoring.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Nick Larkey was All Australian last year...so not a guarantee. Though I agree if you had the TWO AA key forwards you're doing something right.
    Larkey is the most underrated player in the game by a significant margin.
    McKay and Curnow won back to back Coleman medals between them.

I'm not sure KPFs winning everything is a recipe for success anymore.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

For me it is Libba, and Richards. Both worthy but didn't make it this year. If the Media think they are flying then we must be as well.
    Last edited by bornadog; 06-12-2023 at 04:49 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When Libba is out there our heads are higher, and if Naughton was just a bit more accurate, he'd be a Coleman fancy. Libba and Naughton in AA form, we make finals.

19. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Dry Rot, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Caleb has AA caliber season it will mean that our ball movement excellent. His last two years have been down years compared to previous seasons. Need a big year from him.

21. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    When Libba is out there our heads are higher, and if Naughton was just a bit more accurate, he'd be a Coleman fancy. Libba and Naughton in AA form, we make finals.
    Like it. I know Libba probably doesn’t care, but seems appropriate he gets an AA. A very good footballer for a long long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Like it. I know Libba probably doesn’t care, but seems appropriate he gets an AA. A very good footballer for a long long time.
    Libba has well and truly earned the recognition more than once already.

Badly under rated by the media and consequently by the selectors.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

24. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Libba has well and truly earned the recognition more than once already.

Badly under rated by the media and consequently by the selectors.
    I think Libba wasn't helped by our season this year (not that it should matter). Had we won a few more games and perhaps a final he may have gotten the nod. Selectors probably didn't want to include the ruck and 2 onballers from a non-finals team.

On a slight tangent, If Sweet and Schache are All Australian next year we will need to shut the site down.

26. Likes bornadog liked this post