Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    My preference is Williams on one wing and Baz and Adz rotate on the other with Poulter and maybe Hames as the others.
    with I think Bendendo is the bolter. Has the tank to run both ways, aerially strong which is valuable on both ends. Just needs luck with injuries.

  2. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
  3. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    I think one wing role will be used by a Dale, JJ, Bailey Williams type that can rotate off half back.
    The other a Bailey Smith, Macrae extra mid type. Hope a Bedendo, Gallagher, Poulter or Freijah can make it there own though

  4. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Joe, jeemak liked this post
  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrnambulldog View Post
    I think one wing role will be used by a Dale, JJ, Bailey Williams type that can rotate off half back.
    The other a Bailey Smith, Macrae extra mid type. Hope a Bedendo, Gallagher, Poulter or Freijah can make it there own though
    JJ and Dale are interesting ones. I think they’ve been most effective as defenders with the whole field in front of them, however certainly have the speed and long kicking to be effective on a wing. For some reason it just hasn’t been where they’ve played their best footy (and probably where we’ve most needed them). Good post. Welcome to the site.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Cheers mate. Yeah I think we have enough versatile half backs that we can release 1 to the wing if need be.
    Dale wasn’t at his all Australian finest last year, so maybe a stint on the wing might sharpen him up a bit

  7. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
  8. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Wow you are going back over 50 years ago. I like it. Two great players who both could play key position too.
    With Billy Barrot in the middle. All three magnificent exponents of the 60yard drop kick. Feeding it in to the likes of Royce Hart, Neil Balme and Rex Hunt.

    Imagine Naughton, JUH and Lobb/Darcy getting that sort of supply!

  9. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
  10. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2023
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Watched Poulter a lot last year when he came in, honestly believe his touch is one of the best i've ever seen. He rarely fumbles and knows what he's doing with the ball, who's around him at all times and generally makes good decisions. There's is a reason why Collingwood delisted him I guess, his competitiveness, intensity and physical work at times leave a bit to be desired?

    I really like him and want him on the wing in the side for R1 next year... However, that's the one thing that we were waiting for with Shache for years. Hard to develop.

  11. Likes hujsh, bornadog liked this post
  12. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Warrnambulldog View Post
    I think one wing role will be used by a Dale, JJ, Bailey Williams type that can rotate off half back.
    The other a Bailey Smith, Macrae extra mid type. Hope a Bedendo, Gallagher, Poulter or Freijah can make it there own though
    I like the idea of using some half back experience on the wing.

    We do need wingers that help defend as well as run forward to create.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

  13. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    Watched Poulter a lot last year when he came in, honestly believe his touch is one of the best i've ever seen. He rarely fumbles and knows what he's doing with the ball, who's around him at all times and generally makes good decisions. There's is a reason why Collingwood delisted him I guess, his competitiveness, intensity and physical work at times leave a bit to be desired?

    I really like him and want him on the wing in the side for R1 next year... However, that's the one thing that we were waiting for with Shache for years. Hard to develop.
    I agree with this, though I think it's more his physicality than his competitiveness that's at issue. One other thing I like about him is that he keeps his width. Quite often last year he provided either a get-out option or attacking option by doing this.

  14. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    60,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I agree with this, though I think it's more his physicality than his competitiveness that's at issue. One other thing I like about him is that he keeps his width. Quite often last year he provided either a get-out option or attacking option by doing this.
    Love his kicking, he really has some penetration
    FFC: Established 1883

    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  15. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    I really feel the loss of Hunter was/is a massive issue for us. People will say he?s a dinky kick and he pads his stats but he is a true winger, crafty, wily and an incredible two way runner. He looks like he gets easy possessions but he just creates such great separation as evidenced by the number of uncontested chest marks he takes. Without denigrating our current wing crop, the list reads like a bit like a group of delistings you might expect after an average season.

  16. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
  17. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    I really feel the loss of Hunter was/is a massive issue for us. People will say he?s a dinky kick and he pads his stats but he is a true winger, crafty, wily and an incredible two way runner. He looks like he gets easy possessions but he just creates such great separation as evidenced by the number of uncontested chest marks he takes. Without denigrating our current wing crop, the list reads like a bit like a group of delistings you might expect after an average season.
    I agree with this.

    Who do you think are our best wing options?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

  18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
  19. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    Watched Poulter a lot last year when he came in, honestly believe his touch is one of the best i've ever seen. He rarely fumbles and knows what he's doing with the ball, who's around him at all times and generally makes good decisions. There's is a reason why Collingwood delisted him I guess, his competitiveness, intensity and physical work at times leave a bit to be desired?

    I really like him and want him on the wing in the side for R1 next year... However, that's the one thing that we were waiting for with Shache for years. Hard to develop.
    He is also a nice kick of the footy and can hit the scoreboard. I also think his contested game is the area of improvement.

    Do you think he has the ability to improve his physicality or intensity?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

  20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
  21. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    I really feel the loss of Hunter was/is a massive issue for us. People will say he?s a dinky kick and he pads his stats but he is a true winger, crafty, wily and an incredible two way runner. He looks like he gets easy possessions but he just creates such great separation as evidenced by the number of uncontested chest marks he takes. Without denigrating our current wing crop, the list reads like a bit like a group of delistings you might expect after an average season.
    Can't deny we miss OG Hunter. It does also feel we're tackling the wing role with quantity over quality but I have hopes for Bedendo or Gags stepping up this year

  22. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Would love to see dale pushed up to a wing. He is pretty sharp around goal too and has kicked bags in his forward days.

  23. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Delre View Post
    Would love to see dale pushed up to a wing. He is pretty sharp around goal too and has kicked bags in his forward days.
    Dale is definitely a player we’d like 3 of I think, as he’s good across each section of the ground with his attributes. I still see his value as a defender, however when opposition sides apply a defensive forward to him, wing / forward pocket gives us some optionally to move him around.

    It would be great if we could find a way to get him more shots on goal. He’s pretty automatic on the run from distance.

  24. Likes Warrnambulldog liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •