Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

My preference is Williams on one wing and Baz and Adz rotate on the other with Poulter and maybe Hames as the others.
    with I think Bendendo is the bolter. Has the tank to run both ways, aerially strong which is valuable on both ends. Just needs luck with injuries.

2. Likes GVGjr, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think one wing role will be used by a Dale, JJ, Bailey Williams type that can rotate off half back.
    The other a Bailey Smith, Macrae extra mid type. Hope a Bedendo, Gallagher, Poulter or Freijah can make it there own though

4. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Joe, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Warrnambulldog View Post
    I think one wing role will be used by a Dale, JJ, Bailey Williams type that can rotate off half back.
    The other a Bailey Smith, Macrae extra mid type. Hope a Bedendo, Gallagher, Poulter or Freijah can make it there own though
    JJ and Dale are interesting ones. I think they’ve been most effective as defenders with the whole field in front of them, however certainly have the speed and long kicking to be effective on a wing. For some reason it just hasn’t been where they’ve played their best footy (and probably where we’ve most needed them). Good post. Welcome to the site.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate. Yeah I think we have enough versatile half backs that we can release 1 to the wing if need be.
    Dale wasn’t at his all Australian finest last year, so maybe a stint on the wing might sharpen him up a bit

7. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Wow you are going back over 50 years ago. I like it. Two great players who both could play key position too.
    With Billy Barrot in the middle. All three magnificent exponents of the 60yard drop kick. Feeding it in to the likes of Royce Hart, Neil Balme and Rex Hunt.

Imagine Naughton, JUH and Lobb/Darcy getting that sort of supply!

9. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    bigjohn Guest

Watched Poulter a lot last year when he came in, honestly believe his touch is one of the best i've ever seen. He rarely fumbles and knows what he's doing with the ball, who's around him at all times and generally makes good decisions. There's is a reason why Collingwood delisted him I guess, his competitiveness, intensity and physical work at times leave a bit to be desired?

I really like him and want him on the wing in the side for R1 next year... However, that's the one thing that we were waiting for with Shache for years. Hard to develop.

11. Likes hujsh, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Warrnambulldog View Post
    I like the idea of using some half back experience on the wing.

We do need wingers that help defend as well as run forward to create.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    Watched Poulter a lot last year when he came in, honestly believe his touch is one of the best i've ever seen. He rarely fumbles and knows what he's doing with the ball, who's around him at all times and generally makes good decisions. There's is a reason why Collingwood delisted him I guess, his competitiveness, intensity and physical work at times leave a bit to be desired?

I really like him and want him on the wing in the side for R1 next year... However, that's the one thing that we were waiting for with Shache for years. Hard to develop.
    I agree with this, though I think it's more his physicality than his competitiveness that's at issue. One other thing I like about him is that he keeps his width. Quite often last year he provided either a get-out option or attacking option by doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I agree with this, though I think it's more his physicality than his competitiveness that's at issue. One other thing I like about him is that he keeps his width. Quite often last year he provided either a get-out option or attacking option by doing this.
    Love his kicking, he really has some penetration
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I really feel the loss of Hunter was/is a massive issue for us. People will say he?s a dinky kick and he pads his stats but he is a true winger, crafty, wily and an incredible two way runner. He looks like he gets easy possessions but he just creates such great separation as evidenced by the number of uncontested chest marks he takes. Without denigrating our current wing crop, the list reads like a bit like a group of delistings you might expect after an average season.

16. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    I really feel the loss of Hunter was/is a massive issue for us. People will say he?s a dinky kick and he pads his stats but he is a true winger, crafty, wily and an incredible two way runner. He looks like he gets easy possessions but he just creates such great separation as evidenced by the number of uncontested chest marks he takes. Without denigrating our current wing crop, the list reads like a bit like a group of delistings you might expect after an average season.
    I agree with this.

Who do you think are our best wing options?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

He is also a nice kick of the footy and can hit the scoreboard. I also think his contested game is the area of improvement.

Do you think he has the ability to improve his physicality or intensity?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    Can't deny we miss OG Hunter. It does also feel we're tackling the wing role with quantity over quality but I have hopes for Bedendo or Gags stepping up this year

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see dale pushed up to a wing. He is pretty sharp around goal too and has kicked bags in his forward days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Delre View Post
    Would love to see dale pushed up to a wing. He is pretty sharp around goal too and has kicked bags in his forward days.
    Dale is definitely a player we’d like 3 of I think, as he’s good across each section of the ground with his attributes. I still see his value as a defender, however when opposition sides apply a defensive forward to him, wing / forward pocket gives us some optionally to move him around.

It would be great if we could find a way to get him more shots on goal. He’s pretty automatic on the run from distance.

24. Likes Warrnambulldog liked this post