Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Delre View Post
    Would love to see dale pushed up to a wing. He is pretty sharp around goal too and has kicked bags in his forward days.
    The biggest issue I see moving Dale to the wing is are we better off Dale having the ball 25+ in defence or 15+ on the wing?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should seriously start considering the prospect of putting Macrae back on the wing. He played there for the first few years of his career and did genuinely well. If they're not going to put him in the centre bounces then I think he's completely wasted at HFF. Whilst he doesn't have the most penetrating kick, he generally makes good decisions and can hit a target going inside F50. My only knock on him would be his defensive work rate, but I do think he could excel in the role if he did it full time (with maybe the odd centre bounce appearance).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yourmate View Post
    I think we should seriously start considering the prospect of putting Macrae back on the wing. He played there for the first few years of his career and did genuinely well. If they're not going to put him in the centre bounces then I think he's completely wasted at HFF. Whilst he doesn't have the most penetrating kick, he generally makes good decisions and can hit a target going inside F50. My only knock on him would be his defensive work rate, but I do think he could excel in the role if he did it full time (with maybe the odd centre bounce appearance).
    Interesting suggestion and not one I've seen put forward.

I'd say his disposal and marking ability is very similar to old mate Lachie Hunter. I imagine is aerobic fitness wouldn't be an issue.

Does Macrae have the discipline to keep his width and be content getting 20 odd touches per game?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Interesting suggestion and not one I've seen put forward.

I'd say his disposal and marking ability is very similar to old mate Lachie Hunter. I imagine is aerobic fitness wouldn't be an issue.

Does Macrae have the discipline to keep his width and be content getting 20 odd touches per game?
    I don't think he'll be a 20 touch winger, even from his second year he was averaging over 26 as a wingman, he'll work hard to be an option as opposed to always bombing it long to a contest. I think he'll hold his width well, the online downside might be if his opposing winger takes him inside 50 for a 1on1 contest, but I'd like to think team defense can bail him out there.

5. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think by the end of the year, barring injury Gallagher will be holding down one of our wings. Relatively small but looks like a natural running wingman to me. We also have a player who has all the physical attributes to be a great wingman but mentally he needs to learn positional play (such as when to hold your width), get better at hitting targets, and run back just as hard as he runs forward?. B Smith ?.

Post Thanks / Like

If we felt that Macrae in his natural position was surplus, why did we not look to trade him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    If we felt that Macrae in his natural position was surplus, why did we not look to trade him?
    Maybe we did? His contract and cash would have been a stumbling block.