Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  35
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leadership Group for 2024 - Who do you pick?

Great group.

Jacko will be relieved I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Great group.

Jacko will be relieved I reckon.
    McNeil stiff.

3. Likes EasternWest, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look I wasn't sure where to plonk this but the chest gradients on our current training merch make it look like the boys went and splurged on some fake tits in the offseason and I'm afraid I now can't unsee it.

Anyway more power to them they look fabulous.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Look I wasn't sure where to plonk this but the chest gradients on our current training merch make it look like the boys went and splurged on some fake tits in the offseason and I'm afraid I now can't unsee it.

Anyway more power to them they look fabulous.
    What has been seen can not be unseen

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    McNeil stiff.
    Think he was just outside that group.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind changes in the leadership group and that we are a bit creative with the setup of it but are we essentially agreeing that perhaps the more quiet Macrae wasn't a great selection?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't mind changes in the leadership group and that we are a bit creative with the setup of it but are we essentially agreeing that perhaps the more quiet Macrae wasn't a great selection?
    Did you watch the video on how the players were selected? it is a members only video.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Did you watch the video on how the players were selected? it is a members only video.
    Yep, I watched it

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think that summation is correct. He never seemed someone who would embrace the role, and given his challenges on-field last year he certainly didn?t ?lead? the way through performance and impact.

I?m extremely surprised that Libba has been brought into the leadership group after an 8 year gap and thrust straight into the VC position? nothing against Libba as the respect levels about how he plays is high, but for me it?s a strange decision? just as the Macrae one was 2 years back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think that summation is correct. He never seemed someone who would embrace the role, and given his challenges on-field last year he certainly didn?t ?lead? the way through performance and impact.

I?m extremely surprised that Libba has been brought into the leadership group after an 8 year gap and thrust straight into the VC position? nothing against Libba as the respect levels about how he plays is high, but for me it?s a strange decision? just as the Macrae one was 2 years back.
    I think Libba has matured quite a bit in the last few years. Having a kid has probably accelerated that as well. He's a leader in his actions on the field and he's a smart guy. Being a senior players I think a few of the younger guys look up to him so I don't mind the selection. Perhaps there were issues with on field leadership (Macrae?) and this is a way to get a strong and vocal personality into the leadership group. Nothing against macrae but as others have said, perhaps he's just the quiet type whose leadership doesn't translate on the footy field

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

We brought in Geary with plenty of leadership experience at the AFL club level and some corporate experience with consultancy and training as well and I assume we have done this because there were some gaps in our programme.

Bontempelli excels as player and a leader of this playing group and has a significant presence with our supporters and in the media.
    Where we have had some struggles is the group under him. The likes of Trengove, Hunter, Dunkley, Wallis, Macrae and I feel like I'm missing someone else have come and gone quickly for a variety of reasons. Wallis in particular couldn't crack it for a consistent senior game but from all accounts was a great deputy for Bont.
    Libba's reemergence is well deserved based on his changing approach to his football. The players seem to respond to him which is important. Naughton is making a lot of progress so it's good to have him locked in for the long haul. Richards is probably close to being a genuine leader and Daniel is a rock solid leader.
    I'm intrigued by Duryea's retention in the leadership group given he might struggle with a best 22 type role this year and what drove the promotion for Liam Jones.
    I think we might be under utilising Treloar and if Tim signs a long term deal we need to push him up the order/
    We have the likes of JOD and Weightman coming though so the balance of older and younger players looks okay.

Geary has a bit to work with in this group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think Libba has matured quite a bit in the last few years. Having a kid has probably accelerated that as well. He's a leader in his actions on the field and he's a smart guy. Being a senior players I think a few of the younger guys look up to him so I don't mind the selection. Perhaps there were issues with on field leadership (Macrae?) and this is a way to get a strong and vocal personality into the leadership group. Nothing against macrae but as others have said, perhaps he's just the quiet type whose leadership doesn't translate on the footy field
    Nah, the leadership process as outlined in the video (watch here) was a process put together through Geary, and the players. The players then use that criteria to vote who they want.

Agree Macrae is the quiet type, and the players decided he didn't meet the criteria on the type of leaders they want.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Nah, the leadership process as outlined in the video (watch here) was a process put together through Geary, and the players. The players then use that criteria to vote who they want.

Agree Macrae is the quiet type, and the players decided he didn't meet the criteria on the type of leaders they want.
    Thanks. But this shows to me exactly why a Libba has come into the group and a Macrae has come out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Duryea, my thoughts are that his voice and support is still loud and respected. He probably knows he will play more as a backup this year and his leadership will be really important for the emerging players in the twos. Also to VFL players now that Sullivan has gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly there has been a lot of discussion around the older players mentoring our younger players.

Bevo mentioned it today in he press conference, Treloar has openly said he has taken Sanders under his wing, Liberatore is mentoring Gallagher.

Im sure it has happened in previous years but other than Bontempelli and Marra I didn’t hear too much outside of this.
    More of an In Bruges guy?