Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinion: Training over the break is:

Just a quick question to get a sense of what everyone thinks I guess.

I've read the calls for a 2nd practice game and my views are pretty diametric...honestly, I wouldn't play ANY given a choice. But the players are about to break for Christmas and I'm curious what everyone thinks:

- They should have a daily program and an expectation that they check in a few times with their assigned dev coach, line coach.

- There should be a pretty low key, generic program for them to follow...it's a long season fellaz but it's important we don't lose any ground because some fat bloke is bringing presents.

- You guys know what's happening when you come back (some kind of test that in all likelihood does not reflect the game in anyway)...do whatever you want but WHATEVER THAT IS don't flunk the test upon your return.

- Seeyaz in January - have fun. Relax. It's in your hands and you know what is required...we wont be testing you when you get back though...we 100% trust you blokes.

I was going to put up a poll but more interested in peoples thoughts that tick a box.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinion: Training over the break is:

Professional athletes so there is an expectation that they act like professionals.

I'd expect it to be a hybrid of the last 3. We trust you to do the right thing, we will of course still be measuring stuff when you get back so you should feel some sense of accountability (although it's more it will reflect poorly on you if you don't maintain a reasonable level than you'll be in trouble if you fail), and we will/can provide a training plan for what is a reasonable thing to do over Christmas.

I think the players need to buy in to doing the right thing, rather than be told.

I've seen the first option happen with C Grade Amateur sides though which is obscene, and also probably what I am expecting happens with the AFL boys.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to treat adults like adults until they show otherwise (Luke Goetz). There’s 23 vacancies right now for Round 1. It’s up to them to do everything they can get one of the 23 spots. It’s up to them to work out the balance if having a good time and how determined they’re going to be over the break. Bevo said the 23 will be the most prepared team under him for a round 1 team. I guess how prepared does each individual want to be? They can work it out I think.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think the young pups have Option 1 and are given some guidance over the break what to do.

I'd also like to think those with experience have been given that guidance in previous years, so should have an idea of what works for them and what's coming. And they also know the consequences if they don't.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of it honestly depends.

Many years ago when I was training regularly for a different sport, during off season and holidays it was quite frequent quite a few would get together at the gym and train together sometimes with the conditioning coach there others without. Some folks don’t join that and trained separately. Personal preferences and all that.

If people benefit from a break and some time away, brilliant, if others want a bit of camaraderie then that’s brilliant too.

Absolutely trust our players to do what they need to over the break and self manage it. They know what to do and will have a bunch of information about training diet etc.

9. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There must be a study into the best approach. Most probably a combination of the first 3.

Would be interesting to split players into groups -
    Group A - train hard with regimented programs
    Group B- mental break ,plum pudd and crown lagers and min exercise

My guess, come round one you wouldn’t notice the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

How long is the Christmas break? 7 days?

Surely, professional athletes are not going to lose any conditioning with a one week break.

The strength and fitness team would be able to build up training for larger and larger loads in the lead up to the Christmas break and then use that week off as a deload week.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How long is the Christmas break? 7 days?

Surely, professional athletes are not going to lose any conditioning with a one week break.

The strength and fitness team would be able to build up training for larger and larger loads in the lead up to the Christmas break and then use that week off as a deload week.
    I thought they came back around week two of January, which would be Monday 8. If that's the case it's two weeks, and plenty of time to undo all of the good work done prior to Christmas.

I'd have thought the club would leverage a phone app with a program for each player to follow to a certain percentage of completion. The player would update the app, and the club would keep an eye on progress.

It would be clear as day if the player arrived after the break having taken the piss, and this way it's not invasive or onerous on the player who has some guidance around expectations.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Just a quick question to get a sense of what everyone thinks I guess.

I've read the calls for a 2nd practice game and my views are pretty diametric...honestly, I wouldn't play ANY given a choice. But the players are about to break for Christmas and I'm curious what everyone thinks:

- They should have a daily program and an expectation that they check in a few times with their assigned dev coach, line coach.

- There should be a pretty low key, generic program for them to follow...it's a long season fellaz but it's important we don't lose any ground because some fat bloke is bringing presents.

- You guys know what's happening when you come back (some kind of test that in all likelihood does not reflect the game in anyway)...do whatever you want but WHATEVER THAT IS don't flunk the test upon your return.

- Seeyaz in January - have fun. Relax. It's in your hands and you know what is required...we wont be testing you when you get back though...we 100% trust you blokes.
    I might re-word the highlighted section just a bit differently but essentially it is something along the lines of here is your program and you need to stay fit and focused. Training will ramp up when you return and it will be very evident if you are lagging behind team mates.

We should never underestimate just how competitive most players are and how hungry they are to both win and then keep a senior spot. The ones that don't measure up can be sent to Footscray and train with the semi-professional players.

Just need to replay the Bevo clip where he talks about round 1 selection. That should be more than enough motivation to maintain a decent work load on the break.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how long we have off, but Richmond have a 3 week break over Xmas/new year.

Post Thanks / Like

They are professionals and know what to do...so:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There has to be an element of accountability on return and definitely a program to follow. If they play it smart and taper the week of Chrissy the guys can relax and enjoy anyway.

Also depends on what the AFL PA allow in terms of contact with players and setting programs etc.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you want the players just doing whatever, but promising to keep in shape. Players over-train, or do the wrong training if left to their own devices, and if it's a three week period that's too much for my mind.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

YES for first year players (maybe not daily, but a clearly defined program while they build expectations and understanding of what is required). Should also be buddied up with other players for mentoring.

YES for all other players. I think every player should have access to a program, and it's up to them to decide how closely they follow it.

YES in terms of the expectation - the general program might be relaxed, but the expectation is that you come back ready to perform. If you're not ready, then we will know you didn't prepare yourself.

YES for Bont.

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am strongly in the camp that they need a program to follow with the availability of guidance from the coaching staff and particularly the fitness staff.

From the senior players we should have a pretty good handle on how they look after themselves but the newer players would need a more prescribed program with feedback both ways.

There absolutely needs to be a commitment from the group that they will turn up in January ready to resume from where they are in December.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured