Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  69
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you rate the Dogs' attacking firepower?

Your defence is usually only as good as your attack, and vice versa.

Individual players make a huge difference at either end to stop bad stuff happening or make good stuff happen, but to get the balance right it's the players between the arcs who need to put consistent effort in to run each way and control the game by being on the same page with set ups and how to move the ball.

Clean finishing goes a long way, as does proactive intercepting to repel shallow opposition movement to get the ball moving to make the ball less dirty for the forwards - and put them in good spots.

I feel if we get our full ground defence working, and get continuity in our back six our scoring differential will be helped by more than just the goals we repel. We'll move the ball quicker out of defence and score more.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s interesting content but there’s a ladder for a reason… kicking the most goals in a season gets you nothing!

I’m optimistic we’ll create loads of chances and kick loads of them too.

Top 4 for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the rest of our game right and we have enough firepower and delivery ability to score more than the opposition.
    Seems Sanders passes to position like Libba, lobbed passes easier to deliver to space in front of target player, Bont's passing is normally sublime and Treloar is a great passer.
    We should be a power forward side.
    Sympatico was missing this season plus it seems trained leading patterns.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Our main problems over the last 2-3 years in particular have been 1) inaccuracies and 2) cannot stop run ons.
    We have to get this right..we just have to. It’s all in the head and we need to get it right.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

5. Likes Warrnambulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need more natural smalls. Weightman plays more as a medium, really, really need Clarke to come on as we need that crumbing high-pressure small forward.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I rate our attack a solid C grade with B grade potential in 2024. Hard to see any of our forwards being AA calibre in the next two years at least. Hopefully in 2026 we’ll have two though!

Post Thanks / Like

Been mulling this question over since my post above.

From a personnel perspective I wish we had one or two more mature smalls/ mediums who were forwards but could take turns in the middle if required, rather than the other way around which is what we're stuck with.

Harmes is almost that type of player. He's no Liam Picken (let's be honest though, Liam Picken wasn't Liam Picken until he became Liam Picken in the 2016 finals), but he doesn't seem to have midfield first or only tendencies. Perhaps Scott is as well. Daniel isn't quite big enough to be the type, but otherwise would be capable.

I guess we're just going to have to wait and see if our full ground defensive work can be good enough to give the personnel we have sufficient clean opportunities to score.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Our main problems over the last 2-3 years in particular have been 1) inaccuracies and 2) cannot stop run ons.
    We have to get this right..we just have to. It’s all in the head and we need to get it right.
    Agree 100% I cant think of too many games we weren't in a position to win, albeit for the above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jones View Post
    I rate our attack a solid C grade with B grade potential in 2024. Hard to see any of our forwards being AA calibre in the next two years at least. Hopefully in 2026 we’ll have two though!
    I think all of Naughton, Jamarra & Weightman could be AA in 2024. All should be looking to kick 50+ goals which puts them in the frame... especially if they cash in against the lower ranked teams, which we haven't done in the past couple of years, and their peers have.

Post Thanks / Like

Forward line is A grade on talent at least for the bigs, but a d grade on connection. Small forwards are a concern.

All we need to become A Grade forward is the following:

- Naughton is already an a grade but he can tidy up his goal kicking. I?d love him to get a run in centre bounces to have a different look at things.
    - Lobb is as good forward/ruck in the comp. His learnt the system now and needs to continue on with his form in the back end of last year. Legitimate second rucks are hard to find.
    - JUH still doesn?t run out games and work hard enough defensively. If he can improve his tank he will be an a grader.
    - Weightman?s pressure game needs to go to another level. I?d like him to work further up the field. I think his had interrupted preseasons the last two season so improved fitness should enable him to be more involved. Also he needs to be more selfless and stop competing with our big boys.
    - VDM an injury free season, elite pressure and be a 10-12 possession player every week. Not stressed about the goals.
    - Clarke/Jones/Bendendo - one of them to have a breakout season similar to Weightman in 21. Hopefully one of them can cement a spot, be creative, apply pressure and kick 15-20 goals.
    - West improved work rate and tank. Needs to hold our structure better. I only want him playing if we give him stints on ball. I think his got it in him.

Of the rest I expect Daniel, Harmes and Sanders to role through Half Forward. We need composure and good ball use from these guys. It?s been frustrating as anything watching mids play half forward roles look slow and butcher the footy going forward. For the most part I hope our coaching line up respect the half forward position by playing true forwards and have watched the evolution of the role in 2023.

Also Sam Darcy I?d prefer to play back as I don?t think the forward line can afford anymore tall timber. However if English is underdone I have no doubt Darcy can play a role forward. Alternatively if the bench becomes 5 we can probably afford the extra forward.

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, EasternWest, bornadog, D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look at JUH and Cody on Insta - they're both in seriously good physical shape, and certainly appear to be busting their asses to get the best out of 2024.

15. Likes azabob, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any word on the new Goalkicking coach? Wonder if Jarryd Roughead would be of interest. Great bloke and Saints goal kicking accuracy improved when he arrived as an assistant, might?ve been more about player positioning than goal kicking technique, but we could do with some of that too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Need more natural smalls. Weightman plays more as a medium, really, really need Clarke to come on as we need that crumbing high-pressure small forward.
    One thing I have noticed about Clarke is that he often gets himself into good positions when the ball enters deep into the forward line. He has picked up a few goals in the match sims by being Johnny-on-the-spot for a handball or a loose ball get. He needs to keep building his fitness so that he can get to more contests.

18. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    One thing I have noticed about Clarke is that he often gets himself into good positions when the ball enters deep into the forward line. He has picked up a few goals in the match sims by being Johnny-on-the-spot for a handball or a loose ball get. He needs to keep building his fitness so that he can get to more contests.
    Clarke is a very smart footballer with a great goal sense. He will surprise a few this year especially having a full pre season. As I've said previously he would have gone a lot higher in the draft had he come from a private school and not left school after year 9. Quite happy we took Sanders and not Watson as Clarke could be just as good.

20. Likes hujsh, soupman, Uninformed, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think all of Naughton, Jamarra & Weightman could be AA in 2024. All should be looking to kick 50+ goals which puts them in the frame... especially if they cash in against the lower ranked teams, which we haven't done in the past couple of years, and their peers have.
    If the last 2 years are anything to go by, not whilst they all play together.