Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What Percentage of CBD's should our key mids attend?

There has been a bit of talk about more 'balanced' midfield time in 2024.

Whilst CBD's are not a 100% guaranteed answer for the "Who is playing inside mid", it isn't bad...in 2023 it looked like this:

Tim - 84%
    Bont - 81%
    Liber - 78%
    Adam - 78%
    Jacko - 36%
    Bazz - 30%
    Caleb - 19%
    Rory - 16%
    Buku - 13%
    Sam - 9%
    Macca - 6%
    Rhylee - 3%
    Cody and JUH - 1 attendance each.

Those percentages are based on percentage attendance in GAMES THEY PLAYED.

In 2022, we had only Tim above 70%. In 2021, Sweet, Jack and Bont were all 70% plus with Martin actually having a higher CBD attendance % than English and Treloar and Dunks both down under 40% (well, Dunks was 41%).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Percentage of CBD's should our key mids attend?

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    There has been a bit of talk about more 'balanced' midfield time in 2024.

Whilst CBD's are not a 100% guaranteed answer for the "Who is playing inside mid", it isn't bad...in 2023 it looked like this:

Tim - 84%
    Bont - 81%
    Liber - 78%
    Adam - 78%
    Jacko - 36%
    Bazz - 30%
    Caleb - 19%
    Rory - 16%
    Buku - 13%
    Sam - 9%
    Macca - 6%
    Rhylee - 3%
    Cody and JUH - 1 attendance each.

Those percentages are based on percentage attendance in GAMES THEY PLAYED.

In 2022, we had only Tim above 70%. In 2021, Sweet, Jack and Bont were all 70% plus with Martin actually having a higher CBD attendance % than English and Treloar and Dunks both down under 40% (well, Dunks was 41%).
    Tim - less. I?d like to see Tim carrying less of the CBA burden, keeping fresher legs to cover more ground late in the game. Lobb was able to have a major impact in the ruck in various games this year (was huge against Geelong), and I?d like to see us explore a mix that is closer to 60%.
    By that logic, Lobb at 40%. None for Darcy yet, I don?t trust that his body will handle centre bounces reliably.

Bont - less. I?m concerned about the impact on his body. Rather see him play forward more and run through the middle a handful of times a quarter when needed. Again, closer to 60%

Libba & Adz - same amount as last year.

I want less of Daniel and Macrae (unless his form turns around), and more of West / Garcia / Harmes / Sanders. Could see any of these guys stepping into a role that makes up for the reduction in Bont?s attendances and covers Daniel/Macrae/Baz roles from last year.

Rough numbers without putting much thought into whether this actually adds up:

Libba - 80%
    Adz - 80%
    Tim - 60%
    Bont - 60%
    Lobb - 40%
    Sanders - 30%
    West - 30%
    Harmes - 20%

Post Thanks / Like

If Macrae doesn't play decent minutes in midfield, where does he play? He should be in there more than 60% of the time IMO, and needs to work on elevating his (already pretty elite) clearance game to Bont levels. Bont freshened up with chunks forward will cause utter carnage for the oppo D50, but it needs Macrae (and to a lesser extent Adz) to raise their games in the middle (Libba is already elite).

Macrae at 36% in 2023 did both him and the team no favours at all - we missed finals, which is all that is needed to prove that our set-up/tactics failed last year. That's partly on him to add layers to his game but he also seems to be a touch player who needs continuity in his core role/specific skill set. The layers he really needs to add are in defensive transition and supporting other mids at the defensive side of stoppage. He will still win enough ball because that is what he does, but his ability to read the play (if harnessed with a more accountable mindset) should blunt opposition attacking mids.
    Last edited by Sedat; 09-01-2024 at 03:00 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If Macrae doesn't play decent minutes in midfield, where does he play? He should be in there more than 60% of the time IMO, and needs to work on elevating his (already pretty elite) clearance game to Bont levels. Bont freshened up with chunks forward will cause utter carnage for the oppo D50, but it needs Macrae (and to a lesser extent Adz) to raise their games in the middle (Libba is already elite).

Macrae at 36% in 2023 did both him and the team no favours at all - we missed finals, which is all that is needed to prove that our set-up/tactics failed last year. That's partly on him to add layers to his game but he also seems to be a touch player who needs continuity in his core role/specific skill set. The layers he really needs to add are in defensive transition and supporting other mids at the defensive side of stoppage. He will still win enough ball because that is what he does, but his ability to read the play (if harnessed with a more accountable mindset) should blunt opposition attacking mids.
    If we got 2021 Macrae again, then I'd advocate for him having more CBAs than anyone. His output has dropped off enormously for two consecutive seasons. His lack of pace and defensive intent exposes him against the new age of fast, high intensity mids like Serong, Butters, etc.

I'm surprised he didn't thrive when tested on the wing honestly. I know he doesn't have particularly high endurance making it harder to gut run and cover ground, but his vision and field kicking are elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    If we got 2021 Macrae again, then I'd advocate for him having more CBAs than anyone. His output has dropped off enormously for two consecutive seasons. His lack of pace and defensive intent exposes him against the new age of fast, high intensity mids like Serong, Butters, etc.

I'm surprised he didn't thrive when tested on the wing honestly. I know he doesn't have particularly high endurance making it harder to gut run and cover ground, but his vision and field kicking are elite
    I thought he was ok in 2022, averaging 30.6 touches, but this dropped off in 2023 to 25.3, his lowest since his debut year in 2013. This was mainly due to the role he was asked to play.

I still maintain the performance of our midfielders in 2023 season was dramatically effected by the change in assistant coach to Lade

In 2022 we were the number one centre clearance side and we dropped off to 10th in 2023? What changed, Macrae out and new coach. Yes Dunkley left but he wasn't great at CCL - 44 in AFL. Libba (15 in AFL), Bont (19) and Macrae (22) were our best centre clearance players in 2022, in 2023 it was Bont (3rd in AFL) and Libba 9th) then daylight.

This tells us Bont and Libba need help in the middle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Virgin-Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

My concern with Macrae is that he is nowhere near 2021 and earlier levels. That's not looking at stats - which might suggest otherwise - but he just hasn't been as effective. He is an important player for 2024 and I agree with you, if it's not as a high-time playing mid, he doesn't play.

I'd also consider where we get the best out of Treloar moving forward. Maybe it's the wing? I know there are concerns he gets drawn to the footy but I thought early in 2021 he held width pretty well. With time and space, his skills were excellent and he covers the ground very well.

As an inside player, his disregard for the defensive side of the game is worrying.
    W00F!

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    My concern with Macrae is that he is nowhere near 2021 and earlier levels. That's not looking at stats - which might suggest otherwise - but he just hasn't been as effective. He is an important player for 2024 and I agree with you, if it's not as a high-time playing mid, he doesn't play.

I'd also consider where we get the best out of Treloar moving forward. Maybe it's the wing? I know there are concerns he gets drawn to the footy but I thought early in 2021 he held width pretty well. With time and space, his skills were excellent and he covers the ground very well.

As an inside player, his disregard for the defensive side of the game is worrying.
    Yep, agreed on both Macrae and Treloar. The reality is that we could not get any more out of Bont and Libba as clearance mids (not to mention we had an AA ruckman) and it wasn't even enough to make finals let alone contend in 2023. Huge fail and it proves the midfield mix has been all askew for the last couple of seasons.

Macrae and Treloar (who did have an above-average season in 2023 to be fair) are bona fide high quality AFL players and are both still in their prime. They can and should get back to their best, and even add strings to their bow to make them even more rounded players - think Cotchin, M Boyd, Pendlebury, Sidebottom as examples for both to aspire to (diffferent type of player but even Dusty who went from D50/midfield accumulator to unstoppable forward of centre). Pressure for spots from the likes of Harmes, Sanders, West and others should incentivise them to reach greater heights.

Macrae has credits in the bank but they are not infinite. If he can get back to his best and most effective as a ball-winning mid and even add defensive capabilities at stoppage, it gives us precious flexibility to deploy Bont forward of centre where he will cause carnage in the same way that Dusty and Petracca do. What I don't want to see is us trying to retro-fit Macrae (and Treloar to a lesser extent) elsewhere on the ground like we did in 2023 just because he is notionally best 22. I'm confident with a very fresh set of new eyes in the coaching group that these two will especially benefit from the new voices/tactics and be re-energised in 2024.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously feel like Homer here, but what does the D stand for?

More of an In Bruges guy?

13. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I seriously feel like Homer here, but what does the D stand for?

Centre Bounce Downs?

I guess if the AFL abolish the bounce it will become CTUs?

Not to be confused with 90s group CDB (Cool Dandenong Boys)

I think officially they are referred to as CBAs (Centre Bounce Attendances).

15. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CBD = that real estate within La Trobe Street, Spring Street, Flinders Street and Spencer Street. None outside of 9 - 5, Mon - Fri, an area and time within which too many of us have spent too much of our lives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought he was ok in 2022, averaging 30.6 touches, but this dropped off in 2023 to 25.3, his lowest since his debut year in 2013. This was mainly due to the role he was asked to play.

I still maintain the performance of our midfielders in 2023 season was dramatically effected by the change in assistant coach to Lade

In 2022 we were the number one centre clearance side and we dropped off to 10th in 2023? What changed, Macrae out and new coach. Yes Dunkley left but he wasn't great at CCL - 44 in AFL. Libba (15 in AFL), Bont (19) and Macrae (22) were our best centre clearance players in 2022, in 2023 it was Bont (3rd in AFL) and Libba 9th) then daylight.

This tells us Bont and Libba need help in the middle.
    Interesting observation on Lade.

What would be the disadvantages of keeping our four best mids in most of the time. So pump Macrae up to 80% with Treloar, Libba and Bont on 80%

The impact Bont and Libba have in the middle is unparalleled. Can we afford to lose some of that by playing Bont. more forward? Prefer not. I thought Treloar's impact was good last year and vintage Macrae is just short of Bont and Libba. Tim and Lobb could be a more even split with Tim having more time forward, but adjusting it through the season as we see how it works.

Really interested in what you would see as the weaknesses of an 80% Bont Libba Adz and Jack midfield?

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    Interesting observation on Lade.

What would be the disadvantages of keeping our four best mids in most of the time. So pump Macrae up to 80% with Treloar, Libba and Bont on 80%

The impact Bont and Libba have in the middle is unparalleled. Can we afford to lose some of that by playing Bont. more forward? Prefer not. I thought Treloar's impact was good last year and vintage Macrae is just short of Bont and Libba. Tim and Lobb could be a more even split with Tim having more time forward, but adjusting it through the season as we see how it works.

Really interested in what you would see as the weaknesses of an 80% Bont Libba Adz and Jack midfield?
    I would not be moving Bont forward, he is the best midfielder in the AFL - not ready to be tinkered with. I agree, Bont, Libba, Adz and Macrae with Sanders getting a go and being eased into the role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes azabob, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post

I'm not BAD but I have thoughts.

It is SUPER predictable.

YES - having your good players in there is generally a good thing...but it is also something the oppo can actually prepare for. It is hard for them to prepare for a wide variety of combinations and playing styles - it is easy to prepare vs a known quantity.

I guess the counter to that is that in sports the team with the best 'habits' usually wins...so having 4x players in there who are committed to team success AND one another should be a good thing. But when the oppo mids don't have to worry about looking at personnel groupings, the way different players setup and spread, well, when the crunch comes that is a benefit to the oppo.

PLUS - if Macrae, Treloar, Liber and Bont share the load, well - they can only be at 75%...cos there are 3x spots shared by 4x players.

I think ideally we would have Macrae and Liber in the mid-high 60%'s with Bont and Treloar around 50%. From there you would think that Sanders, Daniel, Williams, Bailey Dale, Weightman, West, Richards, Garcia and probably 3-4 others I have forgotten would do between 10-30%...but most weeks would do 'a bit' and as fans we should be 'comfortable' seeing them in there.

I'm 100% on Daniel and Weightman in particular being in the centre square more in 2024. They are DIFFERENT. I also think Richards is different as he will run and 'step' at the game whereas Liber and Macrae are both lateral movers who tend to kick high and around corners when exiting stoppage. Even Bont does his share of this. I think Daniel could be a genuine hands-before-feet type user who releases a runner in the way Liber does at his best...but Liber gets sat on so much that he ends up in 'through hands' contested situations and needs to kick to exit.

Anyways...lots of thoughts!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

22. Thanks Uninformed, azabob, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would not be moving Bont forward, he is the best midfielder in the AFL - not ready to be tinkered with. I agree, Bont, Libba, Adz and Macrae with Sanders getting a go and being eased into the role.
    Hard to see a weakness with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm not BAD but I have thoughts.

It is SUPER predictable.

YES - having your good players in there is generally a good thing...but it is also something the oppo can actually prepare for. It is hard for them to prepare for a wide variety of combinations and playing styles - it is easy to prepare vs a known quantity.

I guess the counter to that is that in sports the team with the best 'habits' usually wins...so having 4x players in there who are committed to team success AND one another should be a good thing. But when the oppo mids don't have to worry about looking at personnel groupings, the way different players setup and spread, well, when the crunch comes that is a benefit to the oppo.

PLUS - if Macrae, Treloar, Liber and Bont share the load, well - they can only be at 75%...cos there are 3x spots shared by 4x players.

I think ideally we would have Macrae and Liber in the mid-high 60%'s with Bont and Treloar around 50%. From there you would think that Sanders, Daniel, Williams, Bailey Dale, Weightman, West, Richards, Garcia and probably 3-4 others I have forgotten would do between 10-30%...but most weeks would do 'a bit' and as fans we should be 'comfortable' seeing them in there.

I'm 100% on Daniel and Weightman in particular being in the centre square more in 2024. They are DIFFERENT. I also think Richards is different as he will run and 'step' at the game whereas Liber and Macrae are both lateral movers who tend to kick high and around corners when exiting stoppage. Even Bont does his share of this. I think Daniel could be a genuine hands-before-feet type user who releases a runner in the way Liber does at his best...but Liber gets sat on so much that he ends up in 'through hands' contested situations and needs to kick to exit.

Anyways...lots of thoughts!
    Yeah, its the other side of the coin. I remember when we were being praised for having so many rotating through the midfield so everyone stayed fresh and we mixed it up for the opposition to counter. Then the narrative changed to say we were running too many through there and not keeping our best players there for most of the game.

Then, as you say, having the best in there all the time makes us predictable. But even if predictable opposition don't seem to be able to stop Bont and Libba. Bonts's ability to stay over the ball and eventually trap it and push clear, despite multiple opposition players simultaneously trying to beat him, is unique to him in the whole comp. I think. Libba's ability to get hands on the pill and never let go until he finds away to get it to our advantage by hand or foot is extraordinary. So, yeah, have them there the most time of all.

Of the potential rotations, I have been impressed by Caleb. His ball handling is a weapon. He seems to have Spiderman-like sticky fingers and pulls the ball in from anywhere and then he is very elusive and hard to tackle. And he is creative with delivery. As you say, he is a very different chess piece in there. I have heard criticism of his defensive abilities but I haven't noticed it myself (although I am not particularly attuned to noticing that generally.)

Haven't seen enough of Weightman to guess, but you would like to try him at least. All the others you mentioned, plus West I would love to see do some damage in the midfield. Not sure how well he would transition, but Richards would be a great weapon through there.

Long rambling post, but where would you put your money? On the fab. four at 75% or mixing it up. Which do you think would win you more games?

25. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post