Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Left of the Dial - Positional Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That is left field! We do need to strengthen the backline, I'd be loathe to move Marcus out of the midfield for too long though and generally if you're a defender you don't rotate through.
    I would rather put Naughton down there than the best midfielder in the AFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If we want truly left field suggestions, how about Weightman as a flying intercept defender?

(FWIW I would only try that if we had someone else step us as a leading small forward for us and surpass him).
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Same could have been said about Pendles a few years back - one of the best midfielders of this generation, and he's played a decent amount of his post-30 footy off half back while still running through the middle. Has arguably prolonged his career and he's now within a sniff of the games record at this rate

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Same could have been said about Pendles a few years back - one of the best midfielders of this generation, and he's played a decent amount of his post-30 footy off half back while still running through the middle. Has arguably prolonged his career and he's now within a sniff of the games record at this rate
    Bont is 28 and at his peak as a midfielder. Not yet in his 30s.

We have to do what is best for the team
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's only natural.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Not a bad comparison. He's still got 50 games to go to get the Harvey which is crazy in itself.

Bont off half back as he gets older may not be a bad idea.

9. Likes Virgin-Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont is 28 and at his peak as a midfielder. Not yet in his 30s.

We have to do what is best for the team
    Oh I wouldn't advocate for it any time soon - maybe in 2-3 years time it's something we'd consider. That, or putting him forward though his set shot goalkicking probably kills his chances of being anywhere near as damaging

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    My left of field recommendation is Oskar Baker to the small defenders BP role.
    Williams has established himself as the preferred 1st winger and Poulter seems to be ahead of Baker for the 2nd spot. We've also brought in Bramble who might get his chances as well.

Why would it work?
    We've been tuned up a couple of times by quality small forwards and Duryea has done a fine job but there were certainly some concerns last year.
    With a questionable job security as a winger now Baker should be selling his abilities to Daniel Pratt and at least looking to add that versatility string to his bow. He is certainly quick, he can be tough when it counts and he could be capable of earning a spot as that 7th defender we've been discussing here on WOOF.
    It might even allow him to come off his opponent in a run and carry role which he is probably suited to.
    Bramble played backline impressively for Box Hill and is super speedy. I would like him to have first dibs on back pocket position. Agree Baker too who would be my second preference.