Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Left of the Dial - Positional Changes

One of my fave ever bands (The Replacements) sang one of my fave ever songs - "Left of the Dial". In it, Mr Westerberg lamented he couldn't talk to his girlfriend as they were both touring musos (but in different bands) but he could always search for her 'left of the dial'. Never mind that a savvy journo once pointed out to Paul that most of 'those' bands were on the RIGHT of the dial...he simply shrugged and said everyone knew what he meant.

ANYWAY. We have this bloke playing for us (Liam Jones - you might have heard of him) who was a key defender ALSO located on the left of the dial...aka, the forward line.

Given we are playing in two months, which positional change would you be VERY excited to see when the players return to training tomorrow? Which 'left of the dial' change of scene do you think would 100% work. And no, you can't suggest either Jones or Dale to the backline...both of those have worked already. And you can't suggest JJ to the forward line - that one, well, it didn't work quite so well.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Left of the Dial - Positional Changes

I wouldn't want to see it for a year or two (sorry I know that ignores the question a bit), but I think Bont would be a freakish 3rd tall defender / general in the backline similar to Hodge. His reading of the play, ball use and ability to direct traffic would be 2nd to none and would prolong his career by 3 or 4 years.

To give an answer to your actual question of 'at training tomorrow', I wouldn't mind at all seeing Williams training alongside Libba as a pure inside mid. Has the body size, strength and evasiveness in traffic that could ply well in that position

4. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When English is not in ruck, I'd deploy him on the wing for stints. He has an elite tank and is a quality ball user by hand and foot. He also won't bet bashed around like he will up forward (where he would still be a handful), which will help him run out games/seasons better.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I renominate my 2023 suggestion of Aaron Naughton to the wing or occasional Centre Bounce midfielder.

His ground ball game is very good and he would certainly create some aerial problems for opposition wingers.

It would also open up opportunity at deep forward for Sam Darcy.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

With no disrespect to everyone who has submitted ideas...most of these are situational moves not 'MOVES'. Liam Jones is no longer a forward. He is a 100% time key defender. That's what I'm looking for.

Example (and this isn't one I believe in but is what I'm after): Charlie Clarke has fallen behind Arthur Jones as a small forward. We are SCREAMING out for a small defender who is committed to the contest and can kick it to take over from Duryea.

Left of the dial: Move Clarke to the backline.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

My left of field recommendation is Oskar Baker to the small defenders BP role.
    Williams has established himself as the preferred 1st winger and Poulter seems to be ahead of Baker for the 2nd spot. We've also brought in Bramble who might get his chances as well.

Why would it work?
    We've been tuned up a couple of times by quality small forwards and Duryea has done a fine job but there were certainly some concerns last year.
    With a questionable job security as a winger now Baker should be selling his abilities to Daniel Pratt and at least looking to add that versatility string to his bow. He is certainly quick, he can be tough when it counts and he could be capable of earning a spot as that 7th defender we've been discussing here on WOOF.
    It might even allow him to come off his opponent in a run and carry role which he is probably suited to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes bornadog, mjp, soupman, Virgin-Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Duryea to switch to the forward line for this year before his retirement and until Clarke and Arty gain a bit more experience.

Duryea played forward a bit for the Hawks and is a good leader and organiser in his current role and should be able to help out in a leadership role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Duryea to switch to the forward line for this year before his retirement and until Clarke and Arty gain a bit more experience.

Duryea played forward a bit for the Hawks and is a good leader and organiser in his current role and should be able to help out in a leadership role.
    He has played at least part of a match sim up forward. If we felt we needed a bit of organisation up there it could be a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    I wouldn't want to see it for a year or two (sorry I know that ignores the question a bit), but I think Bont would be a freakish 3rd tall defender / general in the backline similar to Hodge. His reading of the play, ball use and ability to direct traffic would be 2nd to none and would prolong his career by 3 or 4 years.

To give an answer to your actual question of 'at training tomorrow', I wouldn't mind at all seeing Williams training alongside Libba as a pure inside mid. Has the body size, strength and evasiveness in traffic that could ply well in that position
    The Bont to backline was gonna be my suggestion.

I think another woofer mentioned Richards as an occasional mid. Don?t mind that idea although he is a good distributor for us in backline.

Looking forward to seeing Gallagher debut, possibly as a mid, seems like a versatile sort so possibly could play wing or backline (Duryea replacement).

15. Likes Countrydog5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had Scott as the rolling up or defensive half forward in my predicted team. He's usually been played further up field.

There's not really a lot more that makes sense to me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

When all else fails put them in the backline. Macrae's turn. Matty Boyd style. Everyone is going to look at this and say, no chance, it'll never work. And I'll say, you'd have said the same thing about Boyd. And I'll be right.

I mean we do already kind of have a glut of players down there and the role he'd fill isn't the one we're actually crying out for but... has that ever stopped Bevo before?

18. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, given our desperation for a small defender and the way we need all of our defenders to be able to cover ground and get their positioning right without thinking... Oskar Baker as a back pocket full time.

I have little evidence for this, but he does give the veneer of having that little dose of 'bastard' that all good back pockets need and given he's previously played wing at AFL level, holding position and being able to cover the ground well should be in his arsenal.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Baker panics when deep in defence. It was the first really strong weakness I picked up in his game last year a few games in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Baker panics when deep in defence. It was the first really strong weakness I picked up in his game last year a few games in.
    Yep, it's my concern with him as well but he has a few of the other attributes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep, it's my concern with him as well but he has a few of the other attributes.
    The issue we have generally, and Baker has when it comes to small defenders, is that the best small forwards are animals who aren't just quick but also strong.

Duryea was effective in the role at his peak because he was a unit and quick at the same time.