Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The world has gone so soft: AFL to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

I hear BAD is planning to storm AFL House.

"THE WORLD HAS GONE SO SOFT": AFL TO NO LONGER REVEAL PLAYER WEIGHTS, DECLARES IT INAPPROPRIATE

The AFL has deemed revealing player weights as inappropriate, meaning for the first time in its history, the AFL Season Guide has been printed without the information.

Kane Cornes revealed the development on Friday, slamming the call and saying a player?s body is their job and therefore the information is of public interest.

?Remember in 2021 the AFL banned perspective draftees from getting their skinfolds done at the draft combine for mental health reasons and treading carefully with the younger generation,? Cornes told SEN Afternoons.

?That was scrapped much to the disgust of many club recruiters.

?I can reveal to you this afternoon that the AFL Season Guide is out ? the AFL has stopped including player weight.

?Can you believe it? I was alerted to this yesterday ? if you get your book and you want to look up what Jordan De Goey weighs, you will no longer be able to find it.

?The world has gone so soft. I can?t believe it.

?You?re a professional athlete. You?re not an influencer on social media. Any other sport I can look that up. I can tell you Travis Kelce was 113kg. His quarterback Patrick Mahomes weighs 102kg.

?No longer in my role as a commentator can I say Jake Lever is playing on Charlie Curnow, Curnow has an 8kg advantage ? he should take him deep to the goal square.

?I can?t do that anymore because the AFL have said that we are that soft that we can?t include player weights in the Season Guide. I don?t know where this is going to lead to.

?Are they going to ban us from knowing that Caleb Daniel is 168cm? He could easily be offended by being one of the shortest players in the game.?

Editor of the AFL Record and the AFL Season Guide Ash Browne confirmed the change was a league directive.

?Yeah it?s true. It?s a new AFL policy to not reveal player weights ? I?m just a messenger here, by the way. This was an AFL decision,? Browne said.

?They?ve decided in this day and age it is inappropriate for weights to public matter, in a publication like the Season Guide.

?They would say that people support that it?s not appropriate to publish weights and that it?s private information now.?

After hearing Browne's confirmation, Cornes added: ?They?re not accountants, they?re not nurses, they?re not lawyers ? they?re professional athletes where your body is your job for goodness sake.?

2. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?the world has gone so soft?: Afl to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

I am on the way to AFL House now

What the hell is wrong with the world. The babies are taking over. Bring back Gil
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes EasternWest, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?the world has gone so soft?: Afl to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

This has been a AFLPA issue for a while.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This has been a AFLPA issue for a while.
    Do you know what their (AFLPA) reasoning is? It's easy to go all Kane and reflexively declare it being soft or whatever but I'd be surprised if there isn't some valid reason to stop publishing that information.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's just in the guide for the public? Not a massive deal for me. But I'm just learning about the skin folds ban for draft combine players... now THAT seems nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Do you know what their (AFLPA) reasoning is? It's easy to go all Kane and reflexively declare it being soft or whatever but I'd be surprised if there isn't some valid reason to stop publishing that information.
    How do I say this without saying it?

There has been some pretty bad stuff on socials about some AFL players who aren't full-time athletes and are impacted by the same policies.

9. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There has been some pretty bad stuff on socials about some AFL players who aren't full-time athletes and are impacted by the same policies.
    Tom Boyd also experienced some pretty bad stuff in club land in under age footy, at the Giants and the Dogs... the footy club is supposed to be a safe place.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I totally get it for AFLW and I wouldn't have thought their weights would ever have been disclosed.

For the AFL it seems over the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I totally get it for AFLW and I wouldn't have thought their weights would ever have been disclosed.

For the AFL it seems over the top.
    Good for the goose = good for the gander. ONE CBA.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Kane, can't believe I'm saying that. These are professional athletes ffs. If it's about the women then say that (afl) , we are mature enough to deal with it... crikey it's really amateur hour.

What will it stop anyway, arse holes have eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If it's about the women then say that.
    You can't. Because that will unleash a new broadside aimed at the girls.

Why do we care anyway? Maybe Kane should create a 'who can squat what weight' database and that way he could say:

"Charlie Curnow can squat 9% more than Jake Lever...he should take him to the goal-square"...

OR, probably with more relevance he could say "Based on my 300-games of experience, I would really encourage Michael Voss to send Charlie Curnow to the goal-square. Why would he play Lever in space? He's got a clear size advantage...".

This is really not that big a deal is it?

15. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes lemmon, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The world has gone so soft: AFL to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

Can't recall ever looking up a player's weight, or ever wondering what a player weighs... or thinking about it at all.

Height... well, that's a different story!

18. Likes Testekill, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't. Because that will unleash a new broadside aimed at the girls.

Why do we care anyway? Maybe Kane should create a 'who can squat what weight' database and that way he could say:

"Charlie Curnow can squat 9% more than Jake Lever...he should take him to the goal-square"...

OR, probably with more relevance he could say "Based on my 300-games of experience, I would really encourage Michael Voss to send Charlie Curnow to the goal-square. Why would he play Lever in space? He's got a clear size advantage...".

Im a bit of a stats nuffy so I like all the info. Is a big deal? Not really, however if we are doing it to protect the women from a few internet trolls it's a ridiculous precedent imo.
    Haters are going to hate. They don't need the stats to do that, they'll use photos or their eyes.

It's more about being seen to do the right thing than actually caring about fixing the root cause which is a bigger more difficult conversation.

Can we talk about height? Caleb is probably sick of being reminded every two seconds he's short.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The world has gone so soft: AFL to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

As a supporter i couldn't care less, we can all see the majority of draftees need to put size on, whilst a few may need to lose some puppy fat, but to me that's all for the fitness staff and club to sort out, we can see Darcy put on size from the past two seasons, do we really need the numbers to tell us?

Height is probably a little different but even still, that can be overrated greatly too, just because player A is 198cm, doesn't make him necessarily better than player B at 194cm.

21. Likes Boots liked this post