Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  53
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The world has gone so soft: AFL to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've often thought of that and also considered that these guys thought they were helping me....which in a way I think they were (direct feedback hurts, but at least it's direct). At that point they were halving the numbers, I was bottom age and didn't have a father breathing down their necks or a family member who was in football administration at the local level........like some others did.

But also, at that time in that competition it was pretty brutal on the back of your Ray Jordan's etc. ruling the roost not long before. And the coach in particular was a very weird black and white authoritarian guy.

Not looking for sympathy, it's all good now. I've got heaps of insecurities that starve that particular one of oxygen now I'm all grown up.
    If you had played a bad game and carrying a few extra pounds was a contributing reason then perhaps direct feedback is what is needed but it should not have been done in front of the group.
    If getting cut after playing a good game then feedback delivered like that isn't the real reason I bet it was to make room for the son of a mate.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The world has gone so soft: AFL to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

Players are well oiled machines these days and weight doesn't come into it (unless you are Stringer )

Fulltime professional athletes, and they know what they have to do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The way it worked then was you got a letter in the mail, and an opportunity to get feedback a a little later. The feedback was just me in front of the coach and assistant.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?the world has gone so soft?: Afl to no longer reveal player weights, declares it inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    How do I say this without saying it?

There has been some pretty bad stuff on socials about some AFL players who aren't full-time athletes and are impacted by the same policies.
    I don't get it? I get it now

Post Thanks / Like

I've always believed that one of the things driving elite athletes, marathon runners, endurance athletes, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (is joke mate I think you know that) and bodybuilders etc is actually a crippling anxiety that they try to outwork. Just some amateur psychology from a guy that suffered crippling anxiety in his 20's.

So the idea that they're not subjected to the minutiae of their physical conditioning in the sphere of social media and public scrutiny I'm actually fine with.

Don't get me wrong, I think eye based observations are fine - like if Jake Stringer has obviously eaten too much package then I think it's fair to comment as there's a reasonable expectation that an elite athlete be at least on good shape.

But if we're talking about a tiny fat roll on Jack Macrae as he's sitting forward then that's total crap.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I?d struggle to find an issue I give less of a **** about. Football discourse driven by SEN / Hutchy is largely stupid clickbait trash and Kane Cornes is a deliberate driver of that. Stephen A Smith wannabe without the smarts.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

9. Likes jeemak, hujsh, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else recall that fat bloke, a leading goal scorer in the SANFL, that one of the SA clubs had playing at full forward, it would have been in the '80s, when Ch 7 ran a series involving individual clubs from WA, SA, Vic and Tas playing against each other ? How would Arjuna Ranatunga have gone if Cricket in the '80s applied the fold test ? As long as it's a joke, but if serious, who cares ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that Caleb Daniel is requesting that player height information be removed for season 2025.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Does anyone else recall that fat bloke, a leading goal scorer in the SANFL, that one of the SA clubs had playing at full forward, it would have been in the '80s, when Ch 7 ran a series involving individual clubs from WA, SA, Vic and Tas playing against each other ? How would Arjuna Ranatunga have gone if Cricket in the '80s applied the fold test ? As long as it's a joke, but if serious, who cares ?
    Grenville Dietrich?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The published body weights have often been misleading anyway.

With boxers they weigh them on the day (or day before) of competition so the weight is relevant for that match up.

Footballers weight were simply implying that that player had been that weight at a test in the past.

Plenty of players would front up on match day with a fair variation of that published weight.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The published body weights have often been misleading anyway.

With boxers they weigh them on the day (or day before) of competition so the weight is relevant for that match up.

Footballers weight were simply implying that that player had been that weight at a test in the past.

Plenty of players would front up on match day with a fair variation of that published weight.
    Hence my listed weight of 80 kg (from 1991)
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

15. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Hence my listed weight of 80 kg (from 1991)
    Same +/- 20 kgs.

17. Likes The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Grenville Dietrich?
    Yep, that was him. It could have been local footy.

Post Thanks / Like

How would Mick Nolan go these days

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Francis didn't do a lot around the ground but was a man mountain at ball ups and centre bounces whose taps fed Barry Cable, practically unbeatable. Even if Barry Cable was in the line up, Bev wouldn't play him.