Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What COULD hold us back (2024 edition).

If you could choose only ONE thing that you think could compromise our 2024 season, what would it be?

Off the top of my head:

- Lack of clarity around key defensive rolls (yes, Jones, but who is next? And "what" is JOD?)
    - Lack of defensive group balance - we have runners and we have talls but do we have any actual defenders?
    - Too many inside mids who are unable to play 'other' positions (Liber, Macrae, Treloar etc).
    - Lack of forward cohesion - particularly between Jamarra and Naughton.
    - Talented juniors with unclear roles/undefined positions who probably need to play (Darcy, Jones, Bedendo, Gallagher...)...but WHERE? They all seem to be in positions where the incumbents are strong.
    - The questions swirling around coaching (aka Bevo) and the pressure the club will be placed under if there are some early losses could be extreme.

I'm sure there are others!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Jasper, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What COULD hold us back (2024 edition).

Its all about the coaching. There will be a lot of scrutiny on it, and round 1(2 for melbourne) shapes as a huge game for us, Melbourne as shambolic as they are will be hunting us, they will come out harder than we've ever seen them before, as they know what it will do to us.

We fumble that game, we're in trouble, and all the cracks will open wide and all of the points you raise will come out/gain attention.

Post Thanks / Like

We are still a little thinner for talent at the bottom 6/bench players in our best 24 than other teams.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We are still a little thinner for talent at the bottom 6/bench players in our best 24 than other teams.
    Thinner you say?

6. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For mine it would be a game plan that is not clear, simple and easy to follow. We have the talent in the group, and I think if we have a strong plan the players can adhere to we'll perform well. As Reload mentioned above, it's all about the coaching for us i'd say

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one or two. It's the defense that has me the most worried. I'll choose option 1 as that's the brief.

We have some great rebounding defenders, who don't seem to rebound anymore (think we were last in 23?). Dale and Richards need to get the balance sorted between defending and attacking. Where does Caleb fit now? Defence seems to be not on the cards.

Our talls - I'm not sold down there at all. Jones is good yes, but OLD and do we really think he can play another season like 2023. That was a point to prove year, so I am loathe to think he can play to that standard again. Having said that, he will certainly give himself the best opportunity with the way he prepares.
    Keath - cooked in 22.
    Gardner - like, but limited and has peaked. He's a second tall at a pinch and is really just that. IF he can be consistently good at his one wood and then adequate at other parts like distribution then he will be useful. However I'm not relying on him to make our defence better.
    JOD - awesome but kid, and is he a KPD, an intercept, a half back so many questions re his best use case. I don't think he's a KPD. I see him more as intercept.
    Buss - no idea, good prospect.

Lock down small? We just don't have anyone really. Richards I guess ? Duryea is shot.

Edit: I forgot Coffield. Will be good if he stays fit, I really don't know a lot about him.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 15-01-2024 at 12:05 PM. Reason: HD reminded me of Coffield

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to the stuff already said re our bottom 6, we have a late-2000s era backline that has at least 3 excellent ball users in it but no intercept threats to let them put speed on the ball (not to mention taking some air out of an opposition when they inevitably get a run on against us). And arguments about his height notwithstanding, I’ve got no confidence that adding Coffield does anything to address it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the above can be made worse or better depending on buy in. How many of our genuinely good players will be happy to play a role in the team to the best of their ability if it makes the team better but their statistical output worse? Can Macrae/Treloar focus less on the ball and getting it 30 times a game and focus more on stopping the ball from exiting a stoppage if Libba doesn't win it? Who's our Trent Cochin?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the fact that a tough bastard when playing is now line coach of our backs.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we lost 5 or 6 games by around a goal.

For 2024, the ability to keep fighting and run out a game comfortably is my concern. We need to learn off the Pies - never give up till the The individual of perfectly adequate proportions sings
    Last edited by bornadog; 15-01-2024 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Thanks to Axeman
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Thanks Axe Man thanked for this post
    Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only reason we would not make top 6 is injuries to our back 6. Too many players primed for big seasons IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Last year we lost 5 or 6 games by around a goal.

For 2024, the ability to keep fighting and run out a game comfortably is my concern. We need to learn off the Pies - never give up till the fat lady sings.
    Now, now BAD, you can't say that anymore. The individual of perfectly adequate proportions thanks.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Now, now BAD, you can't say that anymore. The individual of perfectly adequate proportions thanks.
    good pick up

changed
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Coaching and our defence, which go hand in hand

Post Thanks / Like

If English's concussion lingers and we don't see the best of him this season.