Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  64
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What COULD hold us back (2024 edition).

Playing 'Gods and clods' again (to borrow a Southpark term)

We have 'Gods' who are as good as any top 8-10 players in the competition, however they are so good our 'clods' seem to regress.
    If we're 5 points down with 2 minutes to go, half the playing group are hoping Bont or Libba pull a miracle out of their hat.
    If you look at Collingwood - experts at winning the close ones - all 18 players on the ground seem to think "it could be me".

Until we get a more even spread of contribution (even if that means Bpont/Libba/Treloar get a few minutes less in the centre every game) I'm not sure we can really lift ourselves into contention.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    If English's concussion lingers and we don't see the best of him this season.
    Really good point. It?s a concern for his long term wellbeing and also likely whether we make finals or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Backline and accuracy

Post Thanks / Like

The two that come to mind for me would be:

A knock on the head to English.

- momentum and prospect really hinge on his game gathering momentum and going in a linear fashion. His physical side of the game wanes as the knocks mount up. Hoping he maintains a strong appetite.

A disorganised, dispirited, distracted senior coach.

- all said and done. Hoping the changes get the best out of him this year and we see a bloke enjoying the job, in front of a team playing with a clear purpose.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Now, now BAD, you can't say that anymore. The individual of perfectly adequate proportions thanks.
    And don't dare mention weight!

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it gets back to cohesion or good old fashioned teamwork.

If the talent in this team can gel together and replicate the chemistry of 2016, nothing will stop us.

As Bevo said after 2016 when asked what the secret of that chemistry was, he said 'like every coach, I wish I knew. If you could bottle it you would never lose.'

We have a more talented midfield and, even if Tim went down, I think Lobb and Darcy would do as well as Boyd and Roughead.

Our backline is fine. I give you Fletch and Hamling! Our foward line is way better.

All that is missing is that elusive spirit of 2016. (Barring injuries to Bont and Libba of course!)

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of potential challenges for us for us and could unravel the season for us.

The most pressing one from my perspective is our exposure to an extended absence with Tim English battling some concussion challenges because going into the season with Lobb having to play as mainly a sole ruck for an extended period unsettles the team balance. Sure we want him to play a bit more in the ruck and help Tim manage his workload but we also need for him to kick 30+ goals for the season as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are a number of potential challenges for us for us and could unravel the season for us.

The most pressing one from my perspective is our exposure to an extended absence with Tim English battling some concussion challenges because going into the season with Lobb having to play as mainly a sole ruck for an extended period unsettles the team balance. Sure we want him to play a bit more in the ruck and help Tim manage his workload but we also need for him to kick 30+ goals for the season as well.
    Do you think we could manage with Lobb in Tim's role and Darcy in Lobb's. You would have to get 20 goals out of Darcy I would think and Lobb can ruck extended periods with his tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    Do you think we could manage with Lobb in Tim's role and Darcy in Lobb's. You would have to get 20 goals out of Darcy I would think and Lobb can ruck extended periods with his tank.
    For a short term it's more than a fair position to be in but if it's for an extended period that has to be risky.
    From my perspective Darcy shouldn't be the 2nd ruck just yet but clearly he will need to fill that role on occasions this year.
    I also don't think Lobb can be a full time ruck man for the majority of the season and be effective at that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Thanks Uninformed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What could hold us back?

Inability to run out games / retain control / stop a run on. I don?t know exactly which category that fits in, but to me we have enough talent on paper, we?ve made coaching changes, it?s whether that intangible belief and willingness to play roles + long game for the betterment of the team is there. If it is, we should be able to address what I?m concerned about because it?s either in the head directly or as a result of it.

Post Thanks / Like

If Bont hurts his back from having to carry our entire side yet again.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Attitude - are they up for it this year and are they prepared o push through!

2) Selection Integrity - no team, not matter how cohesive tolerates a lack of selection integrity. Spots in the team have to be earned through form and performance.

17. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    I think it gets back to cohesion or good old fashioned teamwork.

If the talent in this team can gel together and replicate the chemistry of 2016, nothing will stop us.

As Bevo said after 2016 when asked what the secret of that chemistry was, he said 'like every coach, I wish I knew. If you could bottle it you would never lose.'

We have a more talented midfield and, even if Tim went down, I think Lobb and Darcy would do as well as Boyd and Roughead.

Our backline is fine. I give you Fletch and Hamling! Our foward line is way better.

All that is missing is that elusive spirit of 2016. (Barring injuries to Bont and Libba of course!)
    I agree with the thrust of your post but let me be picky about 3 parts. The first 2 bolded bits, team chemistry and ruck situation, ignores the impact of the 3rd man up rule ban, the impact of Bont going over the top can't be over estimated. The 3rd bolded bit, the forward line, can't agree, it's over rated. I'd give your left testicle for a Clay Smith, a Tory Dickson, a Josh Dunkley, especially a Jake Stringer.

19. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With our playing list we are over represented by small or mid sized forward who aren't productive enough in getting the football are being effective in other positions. One of Clarke, Bedendo, O'Neil, West and Arthur Jones really need to step forward and make an impact.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

21. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    With our playing list we are over represented by small or mid sized forward who aren't productive enough in getting the football are being effective in other positions. One of Clarke, Bedendo, O'Neil, West and Arthur Jones really need to step forward and make an impact.
    It's our tall forwards who aren't productive enough. We've sacrificed small-mediums who kick accurately, create scoring opportunities out of nothing, chase, tackle, apply pressure and bring a bit of the unexpected to the fray, like Smith, Dickson, Dunkley, Stringer in favour of under performing talls like Lobb, Ugle-Hagan, even Naughton and the trend looks likely to continue with the Darcy and Croft recruitments, hopefully destined for defence but unlikely with O'Donnell around. West has been disappointing and Jones too fragile.