Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Every Draft Pick Since 2000 Analysed.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I saw Steven Tiller give Chris Grant a bath in an intraclub one day. Absolutely handed his arse to him on a platter. I really thought that we'd found a 200 game player

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I saw Steven Tiller give Chris Grant a bath in an intraclub one day. Absolutely handed his arse to him on a platter. I really thought that we'd found a 200 game player
    I think he kicked 4goals in his first game , admittedly it was a night game.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Jesse Wells, man I can't place that guy. Pick 22 in 2014.

Edit : 2004
    Brother of Jono Wells who has been playing first class cricket for a long time now who also played under 18's but never got picked up, has worked out better for Jono as it did for Jesse who as selected by us, and watching him a few times in the VFL not too sure how or why to be honest, great athlete for his size, that was about it.

As for being selected in the 20's (same draft as Griffen and Tommy Williams), still scratching my head on that one.

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No. 1 Adam Cooney 219 games, Brownlow Medal 2008, All-Australian, traded to Essendon in 2014
    No. 4 Farren Ray 75 games, traded to St Kilda in 2008
    No. 50 Iszac Thompson, No games, Delisted in 2005

Adam was the obvious choice for the number 1 position leading up to the draft, was was told by the club months prior which he admitted was not great for keeping himself in good nic, got a bit lazy didn't work hard enough knowing months out it was all happening for him anyway.

I remember watching games he played for West Adelaide leading up on TV, there was no secret about being the obvious choice at 1, with bushy blonde hair at times, black hair at times, might have even gone a few colours at different stages, got to the club in ordinary condition and it really put him back even though the talent was obvious from day one, could have been even better earlier, obvious star until that dreaded knee injury which really had a huge effect on his career during that final v Swans.

Farren, looked a star in the under 18's for W.A, was compared by Shifter to Simon Black and you could see why, unfortunatly it didn't work out that way at AFL level, was still a decent player and still one of the better picks in the top 10 (very shallow draft).

Iszac Thompson, super fast smaller type from S.A, was good mates with Coons, same height but 78kgs, we did love our skinny players back then, just not quite up to it and i think for memory may have struggled with a few injuries too.

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That knee injury was a killer for someone like Adam.

Don't remember Thompson at all!

Ray, never trust someone with two first names especially when the first name is made up.

Post Thanks / Like

That knee injury was a killer for someone like Adam.

Don't remember Thompson at all!

Ray, never trust someone with two first names especially when the first name is made up.
    His parents named him Farren after a (two types of music) Country & Western singer.

It's interesting looking back on particular drafts and seeing how players went especially high up in the draft, Kepler Bradley also from W.A also looked very promising at under 18 level, but like Faz never really got going being a top end pick, Kane Tenace was super quick and skilful was was selected by Geelong, had a bit of the Jimmy Toumpas's about him, Dave Trotter is now a recruiter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    His parents named him Farren after a (two types of music) Country & Western singer.

It's interesting looking back on particular drafts and seeing how players went especially high up in the draft, Kepler Bradley also from W.A also looked very promising at under 18 level, but like Faz never really got going being a top end pick, Kane Tenace was super quick and skilful was was selected by Geelong, had a bit of the Jimmy Toumpas's about him, Dave Trotter is now a recruiter.
    Was Gumbleton from WA too?

Ha his parents liked both types xD

Post Thanks / Like

Was Gumbleton from WA too?

Ha his parents liked both types xD
    Yes W.A, another that was cut down by injuries, pick 2 and could have been anything, some big boys selected in that 2006 top 10, Gumby (Bombers), Hansen (North), Leuenberger (Lions), Thorp (Hawks), Ben Reid (Pies), Nathan Brown (Pies).
    Last edited by mighty_west; 17-01-2024 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Wrong team, my bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems an incomplete list as quite a few missing from my quick glance. It?s always interesting looking back - we drafted a lot of players who had some terrific AFL attributes but too few who had the application to make it at AFL level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Seems an incomplete list as quite a few missing from my quick glance. It?s always interesting looking back - we drafted a lot of players who had some terrific AFL attributes but too few who had the application to make it at AFL level.
    It's picks 1-30

13. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post