Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Left of the Dial - "Fringe" player to KEY Player

Just a quick follow-up thread from my 'Positional Changes' one a couple of weeks back.

This time: Which of our 'FRINGE' players (15-Infinity on the list) do YOU think will step up and become a key contributor in 2024. Which player and in what role??

I'm feeling a lot of Bedendo love heading this way!! But (and please, promote Dom all you like) I'm curious which of those other players at the back end of the list are going to step up and become regulars...and not just run out with the group on a Saturday, but really impact the competition and become a part of what the oppo are planning for.

SO - let's hear your selections...which left of the dial player will be a regular part of the side in 2024 and do you think they can (maybe) slide into the top 10 B&F votes...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes bornadog, Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Left of the Dial - "Fringe" player to KEY Player

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Just a quick follow-up thread from my 'Positional Changes' one a couple of weeks back.

This time: Which of our 'FRINGE' players (15-Infinity on the list) do YOU think will step up and become a key contributor in 2024. Which player and in what role??

I'm feeling a lot of Bedendo love heading this way!! But (and please, promote Dom all you like) I'm curious which of those other players at the back end of the list are going to step up and become regulars...and not just run out with the group on a Saturday, but really impact the competition and become a part of what the oppo are planning for.

SO - let's hear your selections...which left of the dial player will be a regular part of the side in 2024 and do you think they can (maybe) slide into the top 10 B&F votes...
    Does it count if I say Bailey Williams, considering he's been around for a while? Players who can find space on the outside, drive the ball forward and present an option on the wings are going to be key to our success next year, and I think Williams can fill that role better than anyone.

Otherwise the obvious one is JOD, who I think becomes our number 2 KPD and a core member of that back 6/7.

Post Thanks / Like

You mention Bedendo, a few years ago we had a kid playing VFL called Hugh Wales , They both come from Myrtleford, Hugh went back the year before Bedendo came down , when we drafted Bedendo I asked Hugh about him .
    Hugh’s response was the kid will take mark of the year his leap and hands are unbelievable.
    I’m on his bandwagon this year, it’s make or break I think.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgin-Dog View Post
    Does it count if I say Bailey Williams.
    I think it all counts.

I'm not sure if Williams is 'Best 15' or not but you could mount an argument either way.

Bont; Naughton; English; Liber; Treloar; Jones; Weightman; Richards; Dale; Jamarra; Macrae;

Is Williams next?? He's probably higher up the order than we realise. Lobb I guess. JJ. Smith of course but injured...(I should prob look at a list to save for future embarrassment but, well...that's not really my style).

Post Thanks / Like

At the start of the preseason I think JOD and Gallagher would be rated very much fringe players.
    JOD because he got off to a slow start and because we played him out of position early in career.
    Gags because he just had no continuity with his football and is coming from a long way back

What's changed?
    For JOD, Keath is no sure thing to be fit enough or to have the right sort of form to hold his spot in the senior side and Gardner has struggled from time to time mainly with being a bit too defensive. This opens the door for a clearly improving JOD.
    For Gallagher a season ending injury to B.Smith, questions on Macrae's ability to return to a full time midfielders role plus his own impressive start to the preseason has just opened the door for him. I don't expect him to land a spot from round one but he should get his chances.

It's a big ask to come from the fringes on a competitive playing list to then become a key player but I'm hoping these two do.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Jasper, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll go with Rhylee West, for me a fringe player has been in the system long enough but still hasn't cemented their position fully in the best 22 but would be seen as best 30 for instance, Rourke Smith, Mitch Hannan for example who are no longer on the list, ultimate fringe players, we know he has the tools of the trade, just needs to cut out those silly things in his game, think Poulter will step up too, love his left foot and could see him kicking more goals on the run.

Arty Jones really needs a big season same with VDM, both could go that next step but could also find themselves very nervous next time the list turns over.

Would love to add in Cleary and Buku but it is really hard seeing how they fit into the senior side and which positions they can bang the door down for, especially if Coffield reaches his potential and gets his body right.

Fringe players on the list for me include West, Scott, Gardner, Baker, Coffield (due to injuries), Harmes, VDM, Khamis, Poulter, Bedendo, Bramble, McNeil, Arty Jones, Cleary, Garcia, all have been developing enough and some could be nervous come the end of this upcoming season.

9. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, GVGjr, Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Scott may take the next step. He did play 22 games last year, but most supporters don't have him in their best 22.

He is a great kick, great shot for goal, and has lots of courage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The only other one I can think of that feels a genuine shot to be a key player this or next year might be Clarke (though more next year than this). Unfortunately as I look through the list I don't have much confidence in the likes of Garcia or West to step up and be key contributors. Best case is best 22 maybe unlike say Gallager who does seem at this early stage like someone that may be able to play a more 'key' role.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's Gardner, and he can be a consistent contributer to our backline.

If he just does the basics well and is a steady constant presence down there he can be an anchor for the likes of Jones and JOD who are more dynamic types.
    22? Form would be good.

13. Likes GVGjr, Jasper, hujsh, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I hope it's Gardner, and he can be a consistent contributer to our backline.

If he just does the basics well and is a steady constant presence down there he can be an anchor for the likes of Jones and JOD who are more dynamic types.
    22? Form would be good.
    Can being consistent with the basics get someone to the key player rating? If so then I agree with the Gardner nomination
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Can being consistent with the basics get someone to the key player rating? If so then I agree with the Gardner nomination
    I think so if he plays a foundational role in our wobbly defence.
    Stick to his man, spoil like a maniac and distribute within his limitations.
    We don't have outstanding defenders so we need an outstanding defensive team and I think he can play a big part in that.

Post Thanks / Like

JOD - what he did off the back of no pre-season last year as a developing tall kid was remarkable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes Sedat, lemmon, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    100%. Being a reliable team-mate who does the right things at the right time is under-valued. You don't need 25-touches per week to be a 'key' player.

19. Likes EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Caleb Poutler is mine, though I think my opinion of him is higher than most.

I think because he's a recycled player we forget how young he is, but I was really impressed with the way he stepped in last year and made some strong contributions as a 20-year old.

He's disciplined in how he holds space on the outside, he has good hands in close and accumulates the footy, and I was really impressed with his attack on the ball and his courage (that was something called into question by my Collingwood supporting mates).

I think there's good scope for improvement in his game and there's clear opportunity on the wings. In my opinion he's a better player than Baker and would be looking to give him first crack.

21. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    100%. Being a reliable team-mate who does the right things at the right time is under-valued. You don't need 25-touches per week to be a 'key' player.
    Dale Morris is one of the great players to ever wear our colours and he barely touched the ball.
    "It's over. It's all over."