Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21

View Poll Results: Who's coming crashing down??

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pies

1 4.35%
  • Bears

0 0%
  • Blues

2 8.70%
  • Power

3 13.04%
  • Orange

2 8.70%
  • Swans

3 13.04%
  • Dees

5 21.74%
  • Aints.

7 30.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2024 - If we are IN, who is OUT??

If Hamling can regain some form and plug one of the holes with their tall defenders, I reckon the Swans will do better this season with the other traded recruits and natural development of their younger players.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I reckon at least two of these three sides will drop out of the 8: Power, Demons, Saints.
    But why??

2 of those were top 4 last year?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But why??

2 of those were top 4 last year?
    My possible 3 to go out

Port - ladder position belied their overall mediocre team - will be found out this year

Demons - off field shit will catch up with them, I reckon I saw the very start of the beginning of the end for Gawn last season

Saints - see Port above and threats from teams below

My possible 3 to go in

Crows looked hot when on, more consistency may get them into the 8, and certainly threaten the three teams above.

The Suns will be an interesting test for Hardwick. If he can make them click, they certainly they have stacks of talent and would threaten the three times above.

Hopefully the Dogs can iron out whatever went wrong last season and this preseason at their remodelled ground and hopefully a good run of lack injuries will also threaten the three teams above.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne. They've been falling away for two years after winning a flag by beating up on a team that had played all over Australia in the previous month while they sat in their hotel rooms and watched.

THE most overrated team I've ever seen. I have every confidence they will implode this year and prove how brittle they are.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Melbourne.
    Geez...they were the best team I saw last year and I am really struggling to understand why everyone says they will fall...

I get the cultural 'stuff' but when I asked that question a couple of weeks back most people seemed to say "They'll be right"...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Port - ladder position belied their overall mediocre team - will be found out this year
    What's mediocre about them mate?

I just look at that midfield and think they're a hard out every week...and they have young, talented key forwards...I guess they battle for KEY defenders guys like Bergman are pretty handy.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2023 we were apparently the suckiest team that ever sucked and still only finished one game and 5% from claiming fifth on the ladder. I kind of agree with WTLF in that everyone maybe aside from Brisbane is vulnerable due to their home ground advantage.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What's mediocre about them mate?
    They seem to be flat track bullies to me. When the going got tough, they hardly covered themselves in glory in the finals last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He is awesome but you don?t see that scary look or hard hits like PP when the opposition start to get over the top.
    How many hard hits does PP produce each year? Wouldn?t be more than 2 or 3.

And you seriously believe players are concerned about how an opposing player is looking at them? This ain?t under 10?s.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez...they were the best team I saw last year and I am really struggling to understand why everyone says they will fall...

I get the cultural 'stuff' but when I asked that question a couple of weeks back most people seemed to say "They'll be right"...
    I think Brisbane has the strongest and deepest list in the competition but outside of them a lot of team in the 8 could be vulnerable but history would say at best 2 teams come out. That sort of indicates the lowest placed teams in St Kilda and Sydney as the most likely but if Melbourne can't shake these internal challenges with distracted players despite having plenty of quality players they could fall but it's an outside chance.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    How many hard hits does PP produce each year? Wouldn?t be more than 2 or 3.

And you seriously believe players are concerned about how an opposing player is looking at them? This ain?t under 10?s.
    He is the one they use if they want to get into a players head, he is the one who will give that extra niggle, I don?t see any other player do it when they aren?t going well.
    You still get soft footballers at AFL level.
    Listen to player interviews you get hints of getting inside a players head.
    If coaches can get into a players head to play well I?m sure you can get into a players head to put them off .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne the most vulnerable.
    No Oliver, no forward line, no ruck depth. They could be anywhere from 1st to 15th.

Sydney got Grundy but Adams too. I think they'll be stronger.

Once the Flea magic wears off at Collingwood the fall will come quickly. I doubt it will be this year though.

If Weitering has an interrupted year - and an early calf injury to a senior player is a worry - they could be vulnerable. They seem to be stronger in 2024 on every other line though.

Most years since the 90s a team from outside the 8 the previous year makes the top 4 the following year. It really could be us.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Collingwood will be really good again? They added a really nice piece in Schultz and didn’t really lose anything (Adams is spent I think), have what is now the best back 6 in the league, and have considerable room for growth in their young talent. Also they have Nick Daicos who should probably be banned from competitive play.

Saints are a fictional team and Port went with the classic Peter Rhode subtraction by addition approach to “bolster” their back 6. I could see and in fact think they will both be missing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think Collingwood will be really good again? They added a really nice piece in Schultz and didn’t really lose anything (Adams is spent I think), have what is now the best back 6 in the league, and have considerable room for growth in their young talent. Also they have Nick Daicos who should probably be banned from competitive play.
    Collingwood 2023 age profile is eerily similar to Geelong 2022. And they don't have a Hawkins/Cameron combo up forward.

The rest of the competition eventually has to catch up with them tactically. They simply cannot keep winning virtually every single close game like they've done for 2 years. McStay out for the season will hurt them. Mihocek is honest but lacks class. And reaching the summit will have to impact many of their players, like it did for Geelong a year earlier (and for us in 2016) - I can see guys like Bobby Hill doing a Stengle this year, and the older guys like Howe are just relieved to have one in the back pocket. It only takes being 5% off and not being completely dog hungry for them to unravel.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Collingwood 2023 age profile is eerily similar to Geelong 2022. And they don't have a Hawkins/Cameron combo up forward.

The rest of the competition eventually has to catch up with them tactically. They simply cannot keep winning virtually every single close game like they've done for 2 years. McStay out for the season will hurt them. Mihocek is honest but lacks class. And reaching the summit will have to impact many of their players, like it did for Geelong a year earlier (and for us in 2016) - I can see guys like Bobby Hill doing a Stengle this year, and the older guys like Howe are just relieved to have one in the back pocket. It only takes being 5% off and not being completely dog hungry for them to unravel.
    Wow I thought they were a young side . I get your point but all of Geelongs mids were getting old as well. The pies have young guns in the right places to keep the pressure on .
    Bring back the biff