Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21

View Poll Results: Who's coming crashing down??

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pies

1 4.35%
  • Bears

0 0%
  • Blues

2 8.70%
  • Power

3 13.04%
  • Orange

2 8.70%
  • Swans

3 13.04%
  • Dees

5 21.74%
  • Aints.

7 30.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2024 - If we are IN, who is OUT??

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Wow I thought they were a young side . I get your point but all of Geelongs mids were getting old as well. The pies have young guns in the right places to keep the pressure on .
    Who are their young guns?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Who are their young guns?
    Quick count 19 players 25 and under.
    Lipinski, Quaynor, Daicos Hill ,Krueger , Macrae , Murphy, Mc Creary . That’s a pretty good bunch and already most have finals experience
    They are all going to start to take over if they haven’t already.
    Can’t see them dropping.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Pies to drop but I think they still make the 8. Older list and Lady luck can't go on forever. I get the argument it isn't luck, somewhat agree, but to do it 3 years in a row with an ageing list would be nothing short of a miracle.

Brisbane are primed.

Carlton and GWS aren't far behind.

Sydney are overrated. Where do the goals come from and who are their key backs besides McCartin? Adams is cooked and Grundy ain't the same.

Port rely too heavily on too few and if Charlie remains injury prone/slowing down I'm not convinced they have the fire power to contend. Susceptible down back too.

Saints are well drilled but they made the 8 because we shat the bed. Their talent is lacking.

Us and Adelaide simply must make the 8 and anything less results in vacant head coach roles. As much as we shot ourselves in the foot, the stats suggest Adelaide invented a way to miss finals too.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I often read here about our lack of height particularly in the back line group but week after week Collingwood have Nathan Murphy at just 192c as their fullback and Jeremy Howe at 190c as a key defender and they don't get burned by it. Sure Moore is a big athletic boy but what do Collingwood do differently to us that means their defenders supposed lack of height doesn't result in opposition key forward kicking big scores on them and do we actually have a problem with our defenders height?
    I can't see Collingwood sliding much so top 4 for me. Brisbane, Port and Carlton then us GWS and Melbourne with one spot open for the Saints, Swans, Suns or Crows.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Quick count 19 players 25 and under.
    Lipinski, Quaynor, Daicos Hill ,Krueger , Macrae , Murphy, Mc Creary . That’s a pretty good bunch and already most have finals experience
    They are all going to start to take over if they haven’t already.
    Can’t see them dropping.
    If more than half of those players listed constitute a young gun then we are a long way from being aligned on the definition.

Post Thanks / Like

If more than half of those players listed constitute a young gun then we are a long way from being aligned on the definition.
    With that criteria the 2016 Dogs team is full of young guns and will have a great 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    With that criteria the 2016 Dogs team is full of young guns and will have a great 2017
    Difference is the pies haven’t got a couple of bad apples upsetting the cart .
    deGoey has matured.
    They are very much team orientated .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

N Daicos is an obvious jet and Quaynor is excellent as well (although he is loose when defending). I would have said J Daicos prior to Sept 2023 but his finals series was horrible (still a very good player). Draw the line there on their young talent - it's pretty thin.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    If Hamling can regain some form and plug one of the holes with their tall defenders, I reckon the Swans will do better this season with the other traded recruits and natural development of their younger players.
    Hamling needs to get on the park first.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta put my money on the Saints and maybe Swans. I think us and Suns take their place. I think the Saints will be worked out and won't get the run they did last year and were largely found wanting in the end. Swans, I'm just not convinced on.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually there are at least 2-3 teams that drop out of the 8.

My guess is:

Port - Controversial but they went out in straight sets. Apart from a gun midfield of Rozee and Butters, I do not rate. Expect them to trend downwards at the very least.

Saints - Had a great 2023 run under Lyon but many things went their way. List quality is the greatest concern as they do not have many notable star players

15. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DadBod View Post
    Gotta put my money on the Saints and maybe Swans. I think us and Suns take their place. I think the Saints will be worked out and won't get the run they did last year and were largely found wanting in the end. Swans, I'm just not convinced on.
    Welcome back.

Given their list the Saints out performed most peoples expectation last season and certainly bringing in Lyon and the new assistants really worked out well for them. They also had a significant level of injuries to key players so do they get a kick out of a fit Max King and Tim Membrey returning or will they get worked out a bit by opposition coaches?
    I suspect they will slide just a bit but they do appears to be getting a lot of things right on and off the field.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kllay4 View Post
    Usually there are at least 2-3 teams that drop out of the 8.

My guess is:

Port - Controversial but they went out in straight sets. Apart from a gun midfield of Rozee and Butters, I do not rate. Expect them to trend downwards at the very least.

Saints - Had a great 2023 run under Lyon but many things went their way. List quality is the greatest concern as they do not have many notable star players
    Don't Port have a lot of emerging players though? Mids like Horne-Francis, Rozee, Butters, Drew and even Ollie Wines make it a strong outfit. Marshall, Dixon, Finlayson and Georgiades as key forwards and now Zerk-Thatcher and Ratogulea joining their back lines. They don't appear to have a lot of holes in their list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I went the popular option of Saints.

They?re an even and well drilled side but think they lack the talent and growth to stay up with a few bolsters coming in hot. I think GWS could drop a bit (they?re still quite reliant on some older players like Ward and Coniglio who could drop away / be injured, and it would be great to watch Toby Greene lose more games.

Swans an interesting one. Think they?re a bit light on with their key pillars and if Warner has another quieter year, they?ll struggle. A few of their older types maybe starting to slow down some. Grundy a big unknown.

Port could do literally anything however think between home ground advantage and their midfield / running brigade they should be around the mark. Query their talls this year too.

Pies, Lions, Dee?s, Blues are all locks for me and probably the top 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    N Daicos is an obvious jet and Quaynor is excellent as well (although he is loose when defending). I would have said J Daicos prior to Sept 2023 but his finals series was horrible (still a very good player). Draw the line there on their young talent - it's pretty thin.
    Bobby Hill goes ok too.