Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to for Riley Garcia?

Yeah I also sold my stock. His 2023 was a complete disaster and I think irretrievably set him back.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Dalhaus is a good comparison , I think Garcia is a tiny bit faster but the one thing that isn?t in his favour sadly is his height.
    A one on one marking situation he will never win.
    We already have Daniel can we afford another ? Not in in the backline.
    He has to play in the middle, in and under to make it in my opinion.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Dalhaus is a good comparison , I think Garcia is a tiny bit faster but the one thing that isn?t in his favour sadly is his height.
    A one on one marking situation he will never win.
    We already have Daniel can we afford another ? Not in in the backline.
    He has to play in the middle, in and under to make it in my opinion.
    Bro is nearly 10cm taller than Daniel. Still on the smaller side for AFL but with a half decent leap should be able to compete with the small forwards of the world (same height as Weightman). Could comfortably play pretty much any area of the ground

Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I am wrong but I’ve yet to see him take a contested mark, he isn’t a marking type player we have enough of them, if he is going to compete in getting a game due to marking he won’t get a game, his strength has to be in and under mid for him to make it with us .
    Half decent leap will still not compete with a forward in AFL, his height will not allow a half decent leap to be good enough as the forward would have more than half a decent leap or they wouldn’t be forwards of AFL standard.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I’ve yet to see him take a contested mark, he isn’t a marking type player we have enough of them, if he is going to compete in getting a game due to marking he won’t get a game, his strength has to be in and under mid for him to make it with us .
    Half decent leap will still not compete with a forward in AFL, his height will not allow a half decent leap to be good enough as the forward would have more than half a decent leap or they wouldn’t be forwards of AFL standard.
    Dureya is 179cm. He's absolutely tall enough to play as a small defender.

Just needs to be able to spoil when necessary but would hopefully normally stay on the ground.

If he's got the aptitude for it height won't stop him

Post Thanks / Like

Would be great to see him get a good run without the niggles, think he can add a bit of mongrel, at the coalface similar to west

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Can Bar View Post
    Would be great to see him get a good run without the niggles, think he can add a bit of mongrel, at the coalface similar to west
    Where do you see him playing/
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still furious with him for the fifty he gave away when standing on the mark and just tapped the ball out of the opposition players hands.

Not sure I'll ever get over it........!

I think we'll keep him around for midfield depth, a bit like West. He's on the brink and waiting in the wings for when Libba and Treloar decline. Sanders makes life a little trickier for him, but Smith being out counter balances that somewhat.

He just needs to keep improving and he'll stay on the list.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Where do you see him playing/
    probably Fwd, pinch hitting through the midfield. could he be that annoying tagger type if he has the endurance??

11. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Can Bar View Post
    He only managed 5 games in the VFL (2 of those finals and all later in the season) and 3 AFL games. If he could manage something approaching a full season at least we could get a better idea of whether he is worth persisting with or not.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    He only managed 5 games in the VFL (2 of those finals and all later in the season) and 3 AFL games. If he could manage something approaching a full season at least we could get a better idea of whether he is worth persisting with or not.
    It must be frustrating for the player and the list management team that he can't get on the field enough to really gauge his performances properly. I was told a couple of years back that he was being groomed as a replacement or understudy for Liberatore and that the club had a long term view with his development but his lack of ability to get continuity of his football possibly means he has to make the most of any chances this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think of the 2024 version of Garcia?

I read of his of his exploits at the VFL level egos year, but how do you rate his first outing at AFL level? I was pretty impressed.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I was really flat about him after what is maybe the worst individual game I’ve ever seen last year from his one appearance, but he brought something last night and his VFL form is undeniable. Back in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he can keep this up, all of a sudden our next tier of mids looks good.

Top Shelf: Bont, Libba, Treloar
    Former Top: Macrae, Daniel
    Next: Richards, Sanders, Garcia, Gags, and while West is forward could still pinch hit there

With Smith gone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

His kick to Cody in Qtr 1 was a thing of beauty.

Vision and execution.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

20. Likes Go_Dogs, Dry Rot liked this post