Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate player ratings: Jon Ralph and Glenn McFarlane rate every Western Bulldogs player

Ultimate player ratings: Jon Ralph and Glenn McFarlane rate every Western Bulldogs player

As our rollout of the ultimate player ratings continues, JON RALPH and GLENN MCFARLANE run their rule over the Bulldogs? list to rate every Western Bulldogs player.

Aaron Naughton is fresh from signing a mind-blowing eight-season deal that will run through until the end of the 2032 season.

As the Bulldogs try to lock Naughton?s fellow key forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan to his own mega deal with mounting interest from rival clubs, it?s worth raising a pertinent question.

Will Ugle-Hagan give Naughton wind-burn going past him as the Dogs? best key forward in 2024?

We know the two highly-rated Bulldogs play slightly different roles - and complement each other in doing so - but in terms of sheer goal-kicking figures, it wouldn?t surprise if Ugle-Hagan secures his first Bulldogs? goal-kicking award this season.

Criteria: Prediction of their 2024 performance based on their 2023 season, expected improvement and role in their side.

Naughton is the sort of hulking key forward the Dogs have always craved. He is strong overhead and he brings the ball to ground for the smaller forwards.

The 24-year-old has kicked 142 goals across the past three seasons, including 44 last year to secure his second straight club goal-kicking award.

Ugle-Hagan, who turns 22 in April, might have challenged Naughton for the club honours if he had kicked straight.

Therein lies his room for improvement. He kicked 35.35 in 2023, with his accuracy rating judged poor, according to Champion Data.

If JUH can change that this season, he could challenge Naughton, with coach Luke Beveridge likely licking his lips in anticipation at two key forwards who should kick 100 goals between them in 2024.

Ugle-Hagan was unfairly marked in his first few seasons, especially for a young key forward learning his craft. But as he prepares to enter his fourth AFL season, he is ready to take his game to a new level - and Naughton can continue to help him get there.

In our 2024 ratings of the Bulldogs, based on last year?s performances and the anticipation of what is to come this season, we have Naughton marginally ahead of Ugle-Hagan.

But Jamarra is coming at a rate of knots.

The Bulldogs have drawn criticism in recent years for their lack of success, given the top end talent they have at their disposal.

Marcus Bontempelli has been in the conversation as the game?s best player for years now. Tim English is the best ruckman in the game, and Tom Liberatore is still criminally underrated by some, even if he has changed that narrative for many in recent seasons.

But just off the Bulldogs? ?Big Three? sits Naughton and Ugle-Hagan (with an anticipated 2024 spike on his solid performances last season).

Bailey Smith had been hoping to play his way back in the Bulldogs? top five players after a frustrating 2023.

But he will spend the entire season on the sidelines after suffering an ACL injury at the start of this preseason, which reflects his ratings in the Bulldogs? list.

The big question is whether Smith?s comeback will be in red, white and blue or otherwise as he looks at making a big call on his playing future at the end of the season.

2. Thanks angelopetraglia, SuperWheels thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate player ratings: Jon Ralph and Glenn McFarlane rate every Western Bulldogs player

Whilst I truly appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this, can I ask what the point of the exercise is?

I read through it and was like..."and...".

Are they using these ratings in any kind of 'real' way? Is there ANYTHING behind the numbers?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate player ratings: Jon Ralph and Glenn McFarlane rate every Western Bulldogs player

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Whilst I truly appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this, can I ask what the point of the exercise is?

Are they using these ratings in any kind of 'real' way? Is there ANYTHING behind the numbers?
    That was the question I was going to ask. How are the numbers derived? Does it start from zero to 100 or the other way around?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That was the question I was going to ask. How are the numbers derived? Does it start from zero to 100 or the other way around?
    It's a subjective rating based on how they did last year and how they expect them to do this year. 100 being best and 0 being worst.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

In isolation it means little. I guess you need to read it in conjunction with the ratings for every other team as well. But at the end of the day it's just some journos opinions and they are very unlikely to know much about the lesser known players at any club.

Really though it's not much different to numerous threads we have on here where we try to predict who is going to have a breakout year and the like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is this something that Glen MacFarlane has devised now that he is not (I think) with Champion Data.

It clearly has some prediction element to rank Sanders so highly in relation to others, but the lack of explanation reduces it to zero value.

Looks more like an exercise to set up a possible told you so if they get something remotely correct.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure the point of the exercise, but it's probably the least toilet-paper worthy print media contribution from Jon Ralph in his career.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes jeemak, Jumping Jones, JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was nodding along with those until I got to McNeil. They just lost all credibility, he is easily 60-70.

No pressure Marra !

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Scott's rating is a bit harsh. The guy played senior AFL football in all three parts of the ground as the season wore on.
    Those versatile foot soldiers who "do a job" are vital to allowing the stars do their thing.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see a rating system of 0 to 10.

7.5 to 10 would be match winners with Bont. at 10 and Libba 9.5

5 to 7.5 would be from role player at five, say Anthony Scott, up to close to match winner in say Dale.

0 would be 'shouldn't be on the list' up to nearly at role player level on 4, say Buku.

Would be curious to see how Woofer analysts rated our players in numbers reflecting the above.

Particularly interested in who and how many we would have in the match winner category and the close to that in the 7 upwards. Also who has the potential to reach that level. Say, Anthony Scott might not, whereas Nick Coffield might. Baker maybe not, but Poulter might.

16. Likes Jumping Jones, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rather the the numbers look at the order. To me that?s about how I would line up our list. Does anyone see a player who should be ranked a lot higher or lower(say 3 places up or down)?
    Last edited by meenies; 01-02-2024 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Work error

18. Likes bornadog, azabob, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know how important the points that have been assigned are but the order they've been ranked in is around the mark.
    Love to see Weightman move right up that order by the end of the season.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Uninformed, your system seems better designed and not so unwieldy like the 0 to 100. I would like to add something I've been chewing on. There's a few players I think will have a big impact early on such as Harmes at mid/HF, Sanders hopefully more mid than HF, Gallagher similar mid/HF or utility if he stays fit and adjusts to AFL pace quickly and Poulter as you say who had a bit of time last year to build his case and confidence, ohh also Coff, if he can slot in to the backline early and show his talent and be very reliable-that will be a big hole filled and relieve the stresses/holes in defence.
    I reckon Bedendo, Freijah, Khamis and O'Driscoll all need debuts and games in a row before the bye, they may not be match winners instantly but they need consistent experience at AFL level in their natural positions. That collective impact and competition for spots will pay off when others get tired, injured or sick. I think Darcy will be a match winner.
    This is becoming more of a team list post so I will get onto that soon.

21. Thanks Uninformed, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the post Pleather Sole.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

23. Thanks jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The success of this year will be largely driven by the 50s and 60s rated players — Darcy, Lobb, Sanders, O'Donnell, Harmes, Williams. If two or three can step up in a big way we are a chance for Top 4

25. Likes Uninformed liked this post