Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  28

View Poll Results: Who will win the Busta Beazer Medal in 2024?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astro Naughton

9 34.62%
  • Jamarra

15 57.69%
  • Flea Weightman

2 7.69%
  • The Lobbster

0 0%
  • The Bont

0 0%
  • Someone Else

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Busta Beazer Goalkicking Leaderboard 2024

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’m all in on Weightman this season.

He will kick some bags but also consistently hit the scoreboard and is our most reliable in front of goal.
    Are we at a point where we think he'll make it?

I've gone with Naughton, think he'll get up to 65 or so in his biggest year. Only for dickhead to continue criticising the contract we gave him every week.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am sticking with Astro, I think he still has a big presences in the forward line and will be hard not to spot him out.
    Yep. Me too.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    It sounds important.
    Doesn't it? Like a big worry somebody has that they're currently ignoring.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on folks get your predictions in. I will try and organise a prize for whoever hits the bullseye at the end of the year. Something like a highly sought after Dwaynes World T-Shirt.

As for the R1 v Melbourne game it will be interesting to see how they line up against us. I suspect Astro and Jamarra will get May and Lever. Although they may try and find another match up for one of them to keep Lever loose. They have dropped Tomlinson but have 3 medium defenders in Rivers and the relatively inexperienced Howes and Hore. I imagine one of them gets Weightman. Who will they play on Lobb? This could be our key card. Especially if Bevo allows English to go forward. Then we have West and O'Neill. They have no answer to them so my predictions for this week are;

Lobb to kick 5
    West 3
    McNeill 3
    English 2

we win by 77
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Come on folks get your predictions in. I will try and organise a prize for whoever hits the bullseye at the end of the year. Something like a highly sought after Dwaynes World T-Shirt.

As for the R1 v Melbourne game it will be interesting to see how they line up against us. I suspect Astro and Jamarra will get May and Lever. Although they may try and find another match up for one of them to keep Lever loose. They have dropped Tomlinson but have 3 medium defenders in Rivers and the relatively inexperienced Howes and Hore. I imagine one of them gets Weightman. Who will they play on Lobb? This could be our key card. Especially if Bevo allows English to go forward. Then we have West and O'Neill. They have no answer to them so my predictions for this week are;

Lobb to kick 5
    West 3
    McNeill 3
    English 2

we win by 77
    Surely Naughts and JUH kick a goal or two
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Surely Naughts and JUH kick a goal or two
    they will but they are obvious. Likewise Flea. I feel this could be a game where we get some goal kicking surprises.

I think if May is having too much impact we should send Liam Jones to him. That will be the end of May and we will run riot.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round 1 goal kicking award is named after and honours, and it is only fitting that one of the greatest debutants in VFL/AFL history be it's recipient, the one and only John Geordiades.

John Georgiades was taken at pick 35 in the 1988 VFL Draft. The same draft that delivered Leon Cameron & Chris Grant, and the terrific Tassie trio of Scott Davies, Robert Bloom and Matthew Queen! In his last game before joining the Dogs, Georgiades kicked 6 in Subiaco's 1988 WAFL premiership. He would play 15 games and kick 27 goals for us. But who would ever forget his debut in Round 1, 1989 v Carlton? Georgiades kicked 8.4 on that day as we cantered in by 59 points. Our greatest ever winning margin v The Blues at the time. He was ably supported by partners in crime Phil O'Keefe (3). Mark Cullen (2) and Richard Cousins (2). Carlton had no answer to that formidable forward line despite having a plethora of stars from their 1987 premiership hapless to be able to do anything about it. A tragic day in their history. In his 3rd game for us, Georgiades booted 5 of our 8 goals against North. He looked like a superstar. If anyone has any information on what happened after that please send a full report.

Goalkickers for Round 1 v Toorak Toss Pots

Ugle-Hagan 2, Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

The John Georgiades medal is awarded to Jamarra

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 1

2. Ugle-Hagan
    1. Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

So early in the 2nd quarter our top 5 goalkickers from 2023 had all registered their first major. It looked obvious to me they were having a battle royale to go to the top of the Buster Beazer leaderboard. In the end Jamarra make's his first statement for the year and claims top spot. It's always great when a youngster on debut snags one. Well done to Gags on kicking his first on debut. He had a chance for a 2nd but forgot to kick it. For a moment there I was getting Georgiades vibes. I always love it when a defender wanders down and accidentally kicks one. Loved Bramble's goal today. I hereby declare a new goalkicking award 'The Greg Eppelstun Award' for bonafide defenders who kick a goal. Eppelstun kicked 1 goal in his 102 game career, the day he ran amok v Norf in 1988. This will be a perpetual award that will be passed on among members of our men's dept. If Bramble is next to goal he can hand the award to himself.

Did you know? John Georgiades 8 goal debut is in the top 5 goalkicking performances on debut since the VFL/AFL was invented? In fact, did you also know we have 2 players in the all time top 5? Bill Wood with 9 in 1944 is the other. Wood held the best ever record til John Coleman (Ess) claimed it with 12 in 1949. The other 2 to make the top 5 are Warren Ralph (Carl) and Scott Cummings (Ess) also with 8 each.

Then again some of the greats of this great game have failed to trouble the goalscorers on debut including our very own Buster Beasley. Others to name a few were Jeremy Cameron, Allen Jakovich and that baron of boofheads Jonathon Brown who failed to register a single stat on debut. Unlike to colossal debit's of Daniel Metropolis who kicked 6, Martin McGrath who kicked 5 against us and disappeared a few weeks later and our very own Jason Tutt with a memorable 4 goal display on debut. Is there any chance the AFL could trade Jonathon Brown to the NRL?

Who was there when John Georgiades ran riot at Princes Park in round 1, 1989?

11. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was there

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Georgiardes had 15 goals after round #3. He then kicked only four more goals for the season and only 12 more goals in his entire VFL career.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the wide-ranging places that the Busta Beazer Goalkicking Leaderboard round update posts can take us to.

I remember Gia kicked a couple on debut in the wet against Adelaide.

And who could forget Tim Walsh goaling on debut/in his final game, with his first/last kick.

15. Thanks The Doctor thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round 2 goal kicking award is named after and honours one of our all time greats, the legendary Superboot, Bernie Quinlan.

Quinlan was recruited from Traralgon and made his debut as a 17yo in 1969. Superboot was our leading goal kicker in 1971 with 48 majors. In fact in Jamarra style he kicked 48.47 that year. He also had tallies of 37.41, 20.23, 34.39 and 27.38. Overall he kicked 241 goals for us in his 177 games. His best haul for us came v Norf when he booted 7.8. I fondly recall my very first VFL game at Princess Park in 1976. We needed a draw or win to make the finals. How about some of these match ups? Quinlan v Doull, Templeton v Southby, Dempsey v Fitzpatrick. They had Jezza, Walls and McClure in attack. Superboot was brilliant that day slotting 3 and along with Templeton steered the Dogs to a nail biting draw. We made the finals!!!! It was like seeing actual superheroes live in action for this young Tassie boy. Almost as good as seeing Fuzzy Manson from North Hobart. I still believe Superboot and Templeton are the best CHF & FF combination Ive seen in our colours.

Goalkickers for Round 2 v Cold Ghost

Weightman 6, Baker 3, Naughton 2, Darcy 2, Bontempelli 2, Liberatore, Khamis, Ugle-Hagan

The Bernie Quinlan Superboot medal is awarded to Cody SuperFlea Weightman

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 2

7. Weightman
    3. Baker, Naughton, Jamarra, Bont
    2. Darcy
    1. Lobb, Gallagher, Bramble, West, Libba, Khamis

Wow! What about SuperFlea singlehandedly destroying the Suns with a blistering 4 goal first quarter before finishing with an equal career best of 6? Flea is the early pacesetter opening a 4 goal lead at the top of the leaderboard. But the big guns Astro, Jamarra and Bont are in hot pursuit. They are joined by the fabulous Baker boy who slammed in 3. Don't you just love it when a guy who looks like a 1980's bank teller at the Commonwealth Bank runs riot. I was a bank teller in the 80's but with hair more suited to being in Deep Purple. I was the local freak at my bank! Sam Darcy makes his move onto the Leaderboard. Just watch when he kicks 8. The media will insist he gets $1.8m per year contract to stay with us. How then will we fit in all of Jamarra, English, Baz, Darcy and Baker (who deserves to write his own contract if you ask me)? Libba and Buku also join the leaderboard. Buku now takes possession of the Greg Eppelstun Perpetual Trophy for goal kicking defenders. I will try and arrange a blazer that the holder of this trophy can then put on the new winner like they do in the US Masters. I had a green blazer I used to wear when I was in the Tasmanian Youth Brass Band. it had the TYBB inscribed on it and may be a bit small but I think it would be perfect. I'll try and find it in the garage. Unless Mum sold it!

Did you know Superboot made his debut for the Big V as a Centre Half Back? He also joined the Bulldogs the same year as Barry Round in 1969. 12 years later the two of them would tie for the Brownlow Medal. With other clubs (insert cranky face here). Some other notable records include;

* He is 11th on the all time AFL goal kicking list with 817 career goals
    * first player to play 150 games for 2 clubs
    * One of only a few players to win both a Coleman and Brownlow Medal. Templeton is another.
    * being an inaugural inductee to the AFL Hall of Fame
    * The Brisbane Lion's mascot is named in honour of him 'Bernie Gabba Vegas'.
    * Is one of my all time favourite players and he wore no.2

17. Thanks Sedat, GVGjr, jazzadogs thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, bornadog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fondly recall my very first VFL game at Princess Park in 1976. We needed a draw or win to make the finals.
    A lot of people left that game early thinking we were done. By the time they got to their car we managed the draw. I remember being there but can't remember much of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

The Round 1 goal kicking award is named after and honours, and it is only fitting that one of the greatest debutants in VFL/AFL history be it's recipient, the one and only John Geordiades.

John Georgiades was taken at pick 35 in the 1988 VFL Draft. The same draft that delivered Leon Cameron & Chris Grant, and the terrific Tassie trio of Scott Davies, Robert Bloom and Matthew Queen! In his last game before joining the Dogs, Georgiades kicked 6 in Subiaco's 1988 WAFL premiership. He would play 15 games and kick 27 goals for us. But who would ever forget his debut in Round 1, 1989 v Carlton? Georgiades kicked 8.4 on that day as we cantered in by 59 points. Our greatest ever winning margin v The Blues at the time. He was ably supported by partners in crime Phil O'Keefe (3). Mark Cullen (2) and Richard Cousins (2). Carlton had no answer to that formidable forward line despite having a plethora of stars from their 1987 premiership hapless to be able to do anything about it. A tragic day in their history. In his 3rd game for us, Georgiades booted 5 of our 8 goals against North. He looked like a superstar. If anyone has any information on what happened after that please send a full report.

Goalkickers for Round 1 v Toorak Toss Pots

Ugle-Hagan 2, Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

The John Georgiades medal is awarded to Jamarra

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 1

2. Ugle-Hagan
    1. Naughton, Lobb, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Weightman, Bramble, West

So early in the 2nd quarter our top 5 goalkickers from 2023 had all registered their first major. It looked obvious to me they were having a battle royale to go to the top of the Buster Beazer leaderboard. In the end Jamarra make's his first statement for the year and claims top spot. It's always great when a youngster on debut snags one. Well done to Gags on kicking his first on debut. He had a chance for a 2nd but forgot to kick it. For a moment there I was getting Georgiades vibes. I always love it when a defender wanders down and accidentally kicks one. Loved Bramble's goal today. I hereby declare a new goalkicking award 'The Greg Eppelstun Award' for bonafide defenders who kick a goal. Eppelstun kicked 1 goal in his 102 game career, the day he ran amok v Norf in 1988. This will be a perpetual award that will be passed on among members of our men's dept. If Bramble is next to goal he can hand the award to himself.

Did you know? John Georgiades 8 goal debut is in the top 5 goalkicking performances on debut since the VFL/AFL was invented? In fact, did you also know we have 2 players in the all time top 5? Bill Wood with 9 in 1944 is the other. Wood held the best ever record til John Coleman (Ess) claimed it with 12 in 1949. The other 2 to make the top 5 are Warren Ralph (Carl) and Scott Cummings (Ess) also with 8 each.

Then again some of the greats of this great game have failed to trouble the goalscorers on debut including our very own Buster Beasley. Others to name a few were Jeremy Cameron, Allen Jakovich and that baron of boofheads Jonathon Brown who failed to register a single stat on debut. Unlike to colossal debit's of Daniel Metropolis who kicked 6, Martin McGrath who kicked 5 against us and disappeared a few weeks later and our very own Jason Tutt with a memorable 4 goal display on debut. Is there any chance the AFL could trade Jonathon Brown to the NRL?

I remember that day I was playing in a cricket final for totty Baps in Altona, radio in pocket ;-)
    I was 26 and fully invested in my bulldogs.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I remember that day I was playing in a cricket final for totty Baps in Altona, radio in pocket ;-)
    I was 26 and fully invested in my bulldogs.
    Why on earth was there a cricket grand final taking place in April?

Post Thanks / Like

delete