Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  28

View Poll Results: Who will win the Busta Beazer Medal in 2024?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astro Naughton

9 34.62%
  • Jamarra

15 57.69%
  • Flea Weightman

2 7.69%
  • The Lobbster

0 0%
  • The Bont

0 0%
  • Someone Else

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Busta Beazer Goalkicking Leaderboard 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Why on earth was there a cricket grand final taking place in April?
    Clubs were playing finals last weekend. In fact one of the most amazing District cricket (or Premier league) finals of all time finished up on Saturday.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Clubs were playing finals last weekend. In fact one of the most amazing District cricket (or Premier league) finals of all time finished up on Saturday.
    Yeah I'm well aware but that would have been the last weekend for cricket, over a week before the start of April. Was just wondering why there was a game in April when local footy would be starting.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Naughton will be asked to roam further up the field this year, so my vote is for JUH.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

The Round 3 goal kicking award is named after and honours former captain and 1981 leading goal kicker Jim 'Jock' Edmond.

Jock was born in Scotland and was recruited from our fertile former country zone, Bairnsdale. He made his debut for us as an 18yo and would go on to play 154 games and booted 226 goals. He was our captain from 1983-85. Jock was a strong mark and excellent kick playing predominantly across half forward. Although he won the goal kicking in 1981 with 25 his best season came in 1982 when he slotted 46 goals and backed it up 1983 with 41. Jock's best performance for us came against Richmond when he steered us to victory with 7. He was prone to kicking bags for us. Some other notable performances came when he kicked 5 v Carlton in a shootout with Vin Cattoggio (one of my fave non Bulldogs players) who also kicked 5 in 1980. He hammered 5 v Melbourne in 1985 in our biggest ever win at the time, although he was slightly overshadowed by Buster Beasley who kicked 12.

Here is our captain in 1984 Jock Edmond offering some friendly advice to Collingwood's Gubby Allen

https://www.google.com/search?q=jim+...5rTNZWqZA,st:0

Goalkickers for Round 3 v The Wiggles

Bontempelli 3, English 2, Gallagher 2, Weightman 2, Daniel, Darcy, Naughton, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan, Vandermeer, West

The Jim Jock Edmond medal is awarded to The Bont.

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 3

9. Weightman
    6. Bont
    4. Naughton, Jamarra
    3. Baker, Gallagher, Darcy
    2. English, West
    1. Lobb, Bramble, Libba, Khamis, Daniel, Treloar, Vandermeer

Flea maintains top spot but the gap is reduced by the Bont who has finally won his very first weekly medal in the Buster Beazer Leaderboard honours. How fitting it is named after a fellow captain of the mighty Doggies. I am glad Bevo has taken my advice and played Bont forward. As I stated in these warblings last year when Bont kicks 20+ in a season we make the grand final. Gags after winning the rising star this week moves into equal 5th. Big Tim makes his debut on the leaderboard and we also welcome Daniel, Treloar and Vandermeer who is now everybody's favourite player.

Did you know Jock had an older brother called Bob? Bob played 10 games for Carlton in the 60's but his sporting fame came as a weightlifter in the heavyweight division. He represented Australia at the 1976 Olympics and twice won silver at the Commonwealth games. He finished runner up to Olympic Champion Dean Lukin on one of those occasions.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 04-04-2024 at 03:05 PM.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Thanks bornadog, GVGjr, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doc, I was really upset when Edmond left us, he was a favourite in the 1980s, and a pretty good captain as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks Doc, I was really upset when Edmond left us, he was a favourite in the 1980s, and a pretty good captain as well.
    So was I, very upset. I hated the Swans, Geoff Edelsten, Warwick Capper, The Swannettes, their supporters and the Sydney Opera House because of it. Really short sighted by our constantly bumbling administration of the era. We were in the premiership window. I'm glad Jock made his peace with the club and served us as a board member.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round 4 goal kicking award is named after one of our all time greats, Team of the Century player, Brad Johnson.

What can I tell you about Johnno that you don't already know? I'll tell you. The smiling assassin hates Geelong as much if not more than me. This is evidenced by the fact he kicked more goals against Geelong than any other team in his 364 game & 558 goal career. He kicked 59 of them mostly on apparent greatest full back ever Matt Scarlett. I used to love watching Johnno tear him a new one such as the 8 he kicked in R1, 2007 in our 20 point win or the 6 he slotted in R9, 2002. These were a thing of surreal beauty. Johnno topped our goal kicking 5 times. Pretty good for a dude that started as a rosy red cheeked winger. Johnno won the Sutton medal 3x, was All Australian 6x and was our captain from 2007-2010. May I further add, had it existed at the time he would have also won the Buster Beazer 5x! I believe and standby Johnno was the best player in the league at various times in his career.

Goal kickers for Round 4 v The Handbaggers

Darcy 3, West 2, Weightman 2, Ugle-Hagan 2, Liberatore, Gallagher, Bontempelli, Williams, Treloar

The Johnno medal is awarded to Sam Darcy

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 4

11. Weightman
    7. Bont
    6. Darcy, Jamarra
    4. Naughton, West, Gallagher
    3. Baker
    2. English, Treloar, Libba
    1. Lobb, Bramble, Khamis, Daniel, Vandermeer, Williams

Flea extends his lead by 1 as we see Sam Darcy emerge from the chasing pack. Bevo is clearly a fan of Godzilla movies by deploying big Sam, Mechagodzilla style, to the forward line to stand over and wreak havoc and terror among opponents. If Sam wins the Buster Beazer I will personally invite him over to play my brand new Godzilla pinball machine! Could Gags or West be a dark horse for this prestigious award? We welcome Truck to the leaderboard. That wasn't a free in the lead up to his goal in my opinion!

Did you know Brad Johnson once cost me a bottle of Johnnie Blue Whisky? Well almost, I wriggled out of it. I had the guilty pleasure of attending a Geelong President's dinner prior to our R9 match with these flogs in 2009. I was invited by my boss at the time who was a Geelong groupie in much the same way 13yo girls adore Taylor Swift. It was pathetic really. Good news, I won a door prize of a weekend at some hotel in Geelong. Oh spare me I thought. We were behind all game til Johnno and Acker with 4 goals each led the fightback. As Johnno was lining up for his 5th from 40m directly in front to win the game, my boss offers me a wager. A bottle of Johnny Blue to the winner. I gladly accepted as Johnno was running hot. He missed.....! "JESUS JOHNNO" I yelled in the President's Room to the dismay of hundreds of handbag wielding Cats Groupies. I offered my Groupie boss the weekend in Geelong instead and he gladly accepted and I remained forever grateful that I didn't have to spend the weekend in Geelong.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 11-04-2024 at 03:51 PM.

10. Thanks GVGjr, lemmon, angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I always thought the departure of Jimmy Edmond cost us dearly for a couple of seasons. I thought that we never appreciated his true value, and contribution to the team, until he wasn't there. I seem to remember it being linked to some mild hijinks on an end of season trip. We should have done a Collingwood, backed our boy and told the rest of the world where they could stick their complaints.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The following contains coarse language and parental guidance is recommended. Typing this while hearing Jono Brown and Gary Lyon in the background doesn't help.

The Round 5 goal kicking award is named after former Essendung recruit Max Crow.

Big Max joined us in 1986 to be our support key forward to Busta Beasley and to be much needed help to Andrew Purser in the ruck. In essence he was our Rory Lobb of the era. He lasted just the one season. He played 12 games for us and booted 18 majors. Max had a couple of big games for us. He teamed up with Busta to kick 4 & 5 respectively, only to be outshone by Choco Royal with 7, in our 88 point demolition of the Lions. God I love Choco Royal! He also teamed up with brilliant small forward Craig Somerville to kick 4 & 3 respectively only to be outshone by Busta who kicked 7 in our trouncing of the Tigers. We clearly hated big cats in 1986. FYI Big Max also had 4 hit outs as we knocked off the pussycats of Geelong that year.

Goal kickers for Round 5 v Drug Cheating Umpire Sucking F%@#w!ts

Ugle-Hagan 3, West 2, Naughton 2, Vandermeer, Darcy

The Max Crow medal is awarded to Jamarra

The Buster Beazer Leaderboard after Round 5

11. Weightman
    9. Jamarra
    7. Bont, Darcy
    6. West, Naughton
    4. Gallagher
    3. Baker
    2. English, Treloar, Libba, Vandermeer
    1. Lobb, Bramble, Khamis, Daniel, Williams

So while Flea falls asleep at the wheel Jamarra moves in and closes the gap to just 2. Things are tightening up at the top. Mechagodzilla (aka Sam Darcy, I really love my pinball machine) ominously moves into = 3rd. Westie proves yet again that footy smarts is a priceless gift. Thanks Scotty! He is now = 5th. We need Rhylee (is that the correct spelling?) to snag 6 this week against the Aints, just like his ol man did against the Effing Thucking Bummers in R5 1993 when we smashed them by 46 points. Astro keeps in touch and Vanders doubles his tally. Isn't that great? Does anyone remember the parody SBS Presenter in the Comedy Company or was it Fast Forward? She might have said in her Eastern Euro accent "I'm getting moist thinking of that Vander boy doubling up".

Did you know I hate football.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 13-04-2024 at 06:56 PM.

14. Likes Grantysghost, GVGjr, jazzadogs liked this post