Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Player nicknames

I am not sure if I did this before or someone else has but coming into 2024 what are the official players nicknames at the club ?
    Adding to that do us as supporters have other nicknames.
    We all know some names and some are obvious eg Bont, JJ , Libba.
    Sanders we have discussed as the colonel but is that what the players call him ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player nicknames

The best football nicknames are those that derive from the player's football. "Racehorse" Gardiner, "Swooper" Northy, "Plough" Wallace, "Astro" Naughton, "Lethal" Mathews. I once heard a Fitzroy supporter call Chris Grant "Government" - always gets (a) free.
    Last edited by D Mitchell; 13-02-2024 at 04:54 PM.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Matty Boyd - Keith
    It always amuses me as it's such a country footy thing
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Then there was Brett Heady whose nickname was Jobby.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Clarke is Chooka.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I am not sure if I did this before or someone else has but coming into 2024 what are the official players nicknames at the club ?
    Sanders we have discussed as the colonel but is that what the players call him ?
    Generally during training drills when Sanders has the ball, the players up the field call 'Sando' for the ball. I think the 'Colonel' reference is external to the playing group - certainly on the training track at present it is.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Other first year players...

Lachlan Smith - Lachie
    Aiden O'Driscoll - Drizz
    Joel Freijah - Joely

Thought I heard players call 'Bram' when Bramble had the ball the other day (could be simplistic however).

Scott - Scooter
    Macrae - Nator
    Gallagher - Gags or Shagga (every club has to have a Shagga don't they??)
    Poulter - Poults
    Gardner - Gardy

Not a lot of imagination with most of that lot.

NB - on a side note with respect to Clarke and his nickname (Chook or Chooka). I attended a pre-season event sponsored by the Past Players last year and Clarke was asked about whether he had a nick name or not and he told the audience it was Chooka - he clearly wasn't enamoured with the name at the time but seems to be ok with it these days. He has come out of his shell quite a lot.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Generally during training drills when Sanders has the ball, the players up the field call 'Sando' for the ball. I think the 'Colonel' reference is external to the playing group - certainly on the training track at present it is.
    GvG noted this in his training report yesterday:

Sanders got singled out for a couple of tackles he made with JOD yelling out 'Well done Colonel'. When he locks in a tackle they don't get out of them.