Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

The players most likely to earn a debut in 2024

Link

Western Bulldogs

Rookies: Lachlan Smith, Aiden O'Driscoll, Joel Freijah, Jordan Croft, Ryley Sanders

Still waiting: Harvey Gallagher, Charlie Clarke, Jedd Busslinger

Most likely to debut in 2024: Top 2023 draft selection Ryley Sanders has continued to leave onlookers in awe this pre-season and could be a persistent centre bounce attendee this year alongside club greats Marcus Bontempelli and Tom Liberatore. Second-year utility Harvey Gallagher is another name to keep an eye on, with the long-kicking youngster able to play across all three lines of the field. Second-year key defender Jedd Busllinger should be ready for an AFL debut if required as the Dogs look to settle on their tall backline options.

Who will debut in 2024?

Will Clarke get a chance?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The players most likely to earn a debut in 2024

Obvious one is Sanders. Outside of that it?s a lottery IMO. I haven?t heard anything about busslinger other than he was ok in the match sim.

Would love to see Gallagher and Clarke tbh - there is something about Clarke which reminds me of Milne and Ballantine. You hate them on the other team but I?m sure you love them when they?re on yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Obvious one is Sanders. Outside of that it?s a lottery IMO. I haven?t heard anything about busslinger other than he was ok in the match sim.

Would love to see Gallagher and Clarke tbh - there is something about Clarke which reminds me of Milne and Ballantine. You hate them on the other team but I?m sure you love them when they?re on yours.
    G has also mentioned his far better fitness base this year. Last year he and Clarke we struggling hard with their injuries so this is, in essence, their first proper preseason and first time they might have a realistic shot to break into the first team.

Personally I'd lean towards Gallager as the next more likely to debut this year and then Clarke. Bus and the other rookies you'd have to think is unlikely but I'm pretty hopeful on Bus.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Bus puts up the form to get a debut this season. We need him coming on .

Post Thanks / Like

It's promising that all of those second year 'yet to debut' guys are pushing hard for a place and I'd be surprised if they all didn't crack a game at some point in the season. Feels like some solid drafting in the last few years.

6. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I hope Bus puts up the form to get a debut this season. We need him coming on .
    TBH I think he just needs to develop in his own time.
    Jones & JOD as KPDs and Coffield as the interceptor/3rd.
    Gardner/Keith as KPD cover and Buks as Coffield cover

I really think we have the luxury of Buss (and Darcy) being eased into things this season before becoming 'regulars' in 2025. It's a pretty good place to be and not one we're used to - a decent spine!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TBH I think he just needs to develop in his own time.
    Jones & JOD as KPDs and Coffield as the interceptor/3rd.
    Gardner/Keith as KPD cover and Buks as Coffield cover

I really think we have the luxury of Buss (and Darcy) being eased into things this season before becoming 'regulars' in 2025. It's a pretty good place to be and not one we're used to - a decent spine!
    Do you go from not debuting in 2024, to a regular in 2025?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    It's promising that all of those second year 'yet to debut' guys are pushing hard for a place and I'd be surprised if they all didn't crack a game at some point in the season. Feels like some solid drafting in the last few years.
    I?d agree with that. All players will develop at different times. Many variables happen along the way. The key is if they have the right work ethic and determination to match their talent then they will get a land hopefully continue that improvement year on year.
    Out drafting has been good last few years. Future is bright.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanders is in, almost a given you’d think.

Who would Harvey Gallagher and Charlie Clarke be pushing out to get a debut? Would love to see some of these names force folk out rather than be injury replacements.

Would also like to see Bevo go back to 15/16 selections where quite a few players get pushed through the team across the season.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Do you go from not debuting in 2024, to a regular in 2025?
    I'm sure he'll get a game here or there, but I don't think will be any real reliance on him to hold down a spot this year and if he doesn't it's not a big deal in the long term.
    In 2025 I'd expect him to force his way into the team at some point... but then again LJ will be a year older and I don't expect his body to hold up every week.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I think we'll have a 2021 type season where we rotate alot of young guys through the seniors team.

I can see Sanders, Clarke, Bus, Gags' and even Croft and Freijah coming in at some point and playing a couple of games
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I think we'll have a 2021 type season where we rotate alot of young guys through the seniors team.

I can see Sanders, Clarke, Bus, Gags' and even Croft and Freijah coming in at some point and playing a couple of games
    It would be amazing if we were playing well enough to get all of those players senior games and not losing out on the field. If we can then we're in a good spot. Alternatively, I hope we're not resigned to playing them because the season is gone!

Form and fitness/ injury will play a part like it always does. If we can't get Bus a game then the jungle drums will start beating like they did with Marra in his first and second years, with the vultures suggesting he look for opportunities elsewhere instead of developing his game with us.

Players might get a debut and then miss out for extended periods like a Cleary or other players before him. Giving players a taste is a good thing. Hopefully every week is a difficult selection week for the MC.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.