• 1.3 million p.a

1 1.85%
  • 1.4 million p.a

0 0%
  • Literally any price another club will pay

3 5.56%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tim English - What Price do you pay?

Leigh Matthews on Tim English today versus Max Gawn "I don't know what Tim English was trying to do."

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/176...346957916?s=20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Leigh Matthews on Tim English today versus Max Gawn "I don't know what Tim English was trying to do."

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/176...346957916?s=20
    Has the "legend of the game" (thug) not realised that Max Gawn is still much stronger than English and that trying to fend and wrestle with a guy who is the strongest ruck in the league (let alone the best), smarting after a crap week, one game ahead in the season on an underdone player, and off an uninterrupted preseason is a bad idea?

It's like the calls to play in front of him at throw ins. Max Gawn just pushes you underneath the footy if you do that, feeds someone corridor side, or gets the ball and kicks it forwards. At least if you push him forwards your mids have a chance to box it and the opposition is already boundary side. Playing him side on doesn't work either as you open up 180 degrees for him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Right now FA compo would be Pick 3.

Just saying.
    So if we stink it up we let him walk and get good comp. If we don't (not likely) then we sign him for a record deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    So if we stink it up we let him walk and get good comp. If we don't (not likely) then we sign him for a record deal?
    We have a veto/ deal match due to him being a RFA. It's just something we can keep in the back of our minds when we think the trade period has already gone on long enough, but the deal still hasn't been done!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We have a veto/ deal match due to him being a RFA. It's just something we can keep in the back of our minds when we think the trade period has already gone on long enough, but the deal still hasn't been done!
    This. If we continue this form, I wouldn’t rush the deal. If it was a top 4 pick with the RFA matching threat in our favour, then it’s a serious debate in 4 months. Especially if we hand GCS a top 4 pick.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This. If we continue this form, I wouldn’t rush the deal. If it was a top 4 pick with the RFA matching threat in our favour, then it’s a serious debate in 4 months. Especially if we hand GCS a top 4 pick.
    Oh God I keep forgetting about the trade........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Oh God I keep forgetting about the trade........
    Probably the best way to be and just ignore any threads that reference it.

8. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Has the "legend of the game" (thug) not realised that Max Gawn is still much stronger than English and that trying to fend and wrestle with a guy who is the strongest ruck in the league (let alone the best), smarting after a crap week, one game ahead in the season on an underdone player, and off an uninterrupted preseason is a bad idea?
    If only there was a ready-made senior ruckman available for us to trade for in the last year or two, who has proven to more than handle Gawn at stoppages.

English has been in the system for 8 pre-seasons, having been drafted as an overager. When are we expecting him to be the assertive senior ruckman at stoppages and not the one pushed aside?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes hujsh, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The excuses need to stop. English was atrocious yesterday. Not just in the ruck, how he allowed Petracca to mark overhead in front of him was inexcusable.

Of all the out of contract signings, he’s the lowest priority for mine - see what we can get
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

12. Likes GVGjr, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he was putrid yesterday - kick 2 goals and his numbers look good.

Problem is, the coin he wants is coin we shouldn't even entertain giving him. He's not worth it, and yesterday was one of MANY examples why we'd be better getting a top 3 pick or x2 top 12 picks for him.

Stats wise, English always looks good but it's deceiving. He fails in the big moments, because in the big moments you need to be a physical presence as a ruck and that's just not his game.
    W00F!

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    The excuses need to stop. English was atrocious yesterday. Not just in the ruck, how he allowed Petracca to mark overhead in front of him was inexcusable.

Of all the out of contract signings, he’s the lowest priority for mine - see what we can get
    I agree with this. I think we can moneyball his role short term (Lobb) and nurse Darcy along into his starting role.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we reset this poll?

It seems his effort or lack of effort in last nights match has pushed a lot of posters over the edge.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Just not worth it and last night was a clear example if some people need more. Paying someone over 1m per season for 7 - 8 years and dish out that when they get bumped around is insanity. I'm at the stage now where I'll be disappointed if I read the news he's signed on long term.

Post Thanks / Like

I was playing for $7M pay day, I’d not put that kind of effort in. Unless it’s a George Costanza move to have us happy to let him go.

If you took away the AA jacket. You’d say he’s a very handy player, not a brilliant ruck, and laugh at $1M a year. I’ve always said he’d be the best forward/second ruck. But that ain’t happening so we just need to pony up (unlike Brisbane and Dunks) or take the compo. I’d say we pony up and pray he turns into a $1M a season player.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Timmy just isn't strong enough in the ruck contest and continually gets worked over, i see him as a very tall utility player who can give a chop out, great around the ground given his size, very versatile etc but that seems to be hurting us in the middle and has been for a long time now being our number one ruck.

I guess we just have to work out how valuable that is to our side, could we just have a pure strong ruckman who would give our mids better coverage but lack what Timmy does around the ground, would that make us overall a better side?