Thanks Thanks:  72
Likes Likes:  197
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Practice Game 23/02/24

This is the match-day thread for our practice game vs the Hawks.

With the Hawks having a number a couple of injuries to key defenders plus they have just added Ethan Phillips.
    It might force Sicely into a different role and Darcy will likely cover Marra if he isn't ready to play this week and that should really stretch the Hawks defenders.

The midfield match-ups should be a good contest with English, Bont, Treloar, Libba, Daniel and Sanders vs Reeves, Newcombe, Worpel, Amon, Ward and Maginness.

The Hawks forwards could be a handful as well with Gunston, Lewis, Bruest, the exciting Nick Watson, Ginnivan and Moore
    should prove to be a challenge for our defenders.

I know it's a practice game and we won't fire all our shots this early but the Hawks could give us a good run.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on which 26 players we should take into this encounter and which players you would like to see be given a chance in this game?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Game 23/02/24 Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn

Do we know for sure there will be only 26 players used for this game? I watched some off the Dees v Tigers on Foxtel and didn't actually realize they were playing for 7 terms rather than the 4 quarters and rotating every available player, seemed to be a great idea to give all healthy listed players a run.

On paper the Hawks forward line looks very decent, if only Gunstan and Bruest were 6 years younger i guess and will be interesting to see how Gunstan goes after struggling up in Brissy, we know Ginnivan can be dangerous on his day but lacks that consistency and i'm sure alot of us will have an interest in watching young Watson as he was touted as one of our favourtes for our first selection in last years draft, although i'm certainly not complaining about landing Sanders given his pre season reports.

Losing three big men will hurt them, Koschitzke traded, Blanck ACL and DGB turf toe who all played well against us late last season so we'd expect our forwards to dominate, as you said Gary the midfield battle will be a good one, we don't have Smith obviously but they're missing Will Day which is huge for them.

I can see us giving a few younger guys a run and maybe a stronger outfit in the next pre season game, Gallagher, Sanders, Clarke, Bramble (if fit) etc.

4. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Ameet said there was a second game at 1:50pm. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I listened again to the SEN interview. All players fit will get a run over several terms, bit like what Mighty West mentioned above.

The following week will be a proper match.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks with a fair few big man injuries, they are building though. Is it to cliche to say a small win with no injuries would be nice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought Ameet said there was a second game at 1:50pm. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I listened again to the SEN interview. All players fit will get a run over several terms, bit like what Mighty West mentioned above.

The following week will be a proper match.
    The 2024 Season Launch will occur after the scheduled practice matches for both the AFL (11am start) and VFL teams (1:50pm start).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The 2024 Season Launch will occur after the scheduled practice matches for both the AFL (11am start) and VFL teams (1:50pm start).
    Thanks for that, forgot about the VFL. Will be a long day at the ground. Still trying to work out whether I can make it.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Do we know for sure there will be only 26 players used for this game? I watched some off the Dees v Tigers on Foxtel and didn't actually realize they were playing for 7 terms rather than the 4 quarters and rotating every available player, seemed to be a great idea to give all healthy listed players a run.
    No I'm just guessing because there is probably a need to both get the work into the players but trial a few players as well.
    It will likely be an agreement between both clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    On paper the Hawks forward line looks very decent, if only Gunstan and Bruest were 6 years younger i guess and will be interesting to see how Gunstan goes after struggling up in Brissy, we know Ginnivan can be dangerous on his day but lacks that consistency and i'm sure alot of us will have an interest in watching young Watson as he was touted as one of our favourtes for our first selection in last years draft, although i'm certainly not complaining about landing Sanders given his pre season reports.
    Despite Gunston probably being in his last season he's an exceptionally smart player who could test the likes of O'Donnell or Busslinger and of course Lewis has proven himself a very capable and damaging player. Their small forwards could be a handful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks for that, forgot about the VFL. Will be a long day at the ground. Still trying to work out whether I can make it.
    Surely GvG will have room for you in his tent?

11. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

afternoon nap you reckon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Practice Game 23/02/24

I will be really interested in how Ethan Phillips plays. He was a conundrum in the VFL for sometime, supposedly a great defensive interceptor that nobody (including us) was interested in drafting. The knock on him seemed to be his pace or, more accurately, his lack of pace. Will the opinions of the "wise judges" be confirmed or will it be James Podsiadly revisited?

I'd like us to give these groupings equal time so that, firstly, we can benchmark performance and, secondly, we can compare performances against each other.

Tall Backs
    Busslinger JOD Gardner Coffield

Small Backs
    Bramble VDM Richards JJ Dale

Forwards
    Darcy JUH Naughton Darcy

Wings
    Poulter Baker Williams

14. Likes bornadog, GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like the Tardis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Forwards
    Darcy JUH Naughton Darcy
    In the battle of the Darcys I'm backing Sam, Luke is past it.

17. Likes chef, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I'd like to see us go into the game with the Hawks that includes an eye on the future as much as displayed form.

Backs:
    Bramble - L.Jones - Coffield*
    Richards - O'Donnell - Dale

Midfield:
    Poulter - Treloar - Baker
    English - Bontempelli - Liberatore

Forwards:
    Harmes* - Naughton - West
    Weightman - Lobb - Darcy

Interchange:
    Daniel - Sanders* - Scott
    Busslinger* - Gallagher* - McNeil

Missing:
    Ugle-Hagan - Not worth risking
    Macrae - Needs at least another week or two
    Johannisen - He's been starring and really one of the standouts but we don't need to play him this time
    Williams - No real reason, he's been solid but I want to test Baker and Poulter
    Vandermeer - It was a choice between Laith and McNeil
    Clarke - It's a shame about his knee injury but it's a short term thing.
    A.Jones - Must be getting close now.
    Duryea - Running in the rehab group means he's a step behind.
    Khamis - I went with Busslinger so that Liam Jones can get a spell
    Bedendo - He's been a brilliant trainer but it hasn't flowed through to the match sims.
    Freijah - I was tempted to give him a run.
    Cleary - Couldn't find a spot for him.
    L.Smith - Not ready
    Garcia, O'Driscoll, Gardner, Keath and Croft - in the rehab group and need more time.
    Baz - LTIL

19. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What I'd like to see us go into the game with the Hawks that includes an eye on the future as much as displayed form.

Backs:
    Bramble - L.Jones - Coffield*
    Richards - O'Donnell - Dale

Midfield:
    Poulter - Treloar - Baker
    English - Bontempelli - Liberatore

Forwards:
    Harmes* - Naughton - West
    Weightman - Lobb - Darcy

Interchange:
    Daniel - Sanders* - Scott
    Busslinger* - Gallagher* - McNeil

Missing:
    Ugle-Hagan - Not worth risking
    Macrae - Needs at least another week or two
    Johannisen - He's been starring and really one of the standouts but we don't need to play him this time
    Williams - No real reason, he's been solid but I want to test Baker and Poulter
    Vandermeer - It was a choice between Laith and McNeil
    Clarke - It's a shame about his knee injury but it's a short term thing.
    A.Jones - Must be getting close now.
    Duryea - Running in the rehab group means he's a step behind.
    Khamis - I went with Busslinger so that Liam Jones can get a spell
    Bedendo - He's been a brilliant trainer but it hasn't flowed through to the match sims.
    Freijah - I was tempted to give him a run.
    Cleary - Couldn't find a spot for him.
    L.Smith - Not ready
    Garcia, O'Driscoll, Gardner, Keath and Croft - in the rehab group and need more time.
    Baz - LTIL
    Agree on most but would have Bedendo in for the same reason you ommitted him. I have a feeling he's going to flourish as a big game player. Shane Warne was crap in Grade & State cricket. As sub instead of McNeil.
    Would also bring Khamis on to the bench at the expense of Scott. Khamis needs time resettling as a defender, even omit Caleb Daniel as he's a certain starter for round 1.
    If Poulter, Baker or West was ill I'd bring in Freijah.

21. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pleather Sole View Post
    Agree on most but would have Bedendo in for the same reason you ommitted him. I have a feeling he's going to flourish as a big game player. Shane Warne was crap in Grade & State cricket. As sub instead of McNeil.
    Would also bring Khamis on to the bench at the expense of Scott. Khamis needs time resettling as a defender, even omit Caleb Daniel as he's a certain starter for round 1.
    If Poulter, Baker or West was ill I'd bring in Freijah.
    We could certainly omit some players based on them being sure things for R1. With Daniel and Liberatore I just felt it was important that all of our leadership team players are available. Getting the balance between experience players and development of the younger guys is always a challenge.

I don't mind the suggestion of Bedendo it's just who to leave out with the likes of Harmes, West or McNeil etc?

23. Likes Pleather Sole liked this post